ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-04, 04:16 PM
Jr Member

Jetta is on a distinguished road
How to gain (or at least not lose) weight on a low carb diet?

Okay, I need some advice here. My question is weight related, however my question is one the nutrition end of things, and so I have posted it here.

I have started trying the low carb/ high protein thing in an attempt to further relieve my ADHD symptoms. My problem is, my weight is on the low side for my body frame to begin with, and last time I visited the doctor I had lost 5lbs without even knowing it. My doctor may pull my meds if I lose too much weight, as I have had ED issues in the past and so me losing too much weight is a concern as it may signal a relapse in that area. But I do need my meds at this point in time, and I can honestly say that my goal is not to lose weight, I don't even really want to lose weight as I don't want to go that road again. But at the same time I am trying to reap the benefits from nutritional treatment.

I know a lot of people lose weight when they cut carbs, so I am concerned, because while I am gung ho about trying this approach I am scared I will "get in trouble" with my doc if I lose weight, even accidentally. So how to I cut carbs and raise protein without becoming too underweight? Any suggestions?

I will also note, as it important to understanding my circumstances, that I am vegan, and so when I up protein and lower carbs I am mainly eating veggies and boca burgers or tofu. The vegan thing is something I am not willing to change as it is based on a moral stance I have and believe in.

Okay, so any pointers on how this vegan girl can go low carb and maintain a healthy weight. I thank everyone in advance for any advice, I feel stumped.
Old 07-02-04, 04:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
I am not a professional diet consultant so please anyone correct me if I am wrong on this.

Very simply there must be more calories going in or less activity to demand them if you are going to gain weight. I lost weight when I dumped the bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. I can easily gain weight by adding fat to exceed my calorie output in my activities.

This spring I have been a whole lot more active in my exercise so I can tolerate many more calories. It's all a balancing act. Maybe a dietitian might be able to help you chart your activities. I saw a woman this winter for just this type of thing and I learnt a bundle of good things. Not the least of which was how much non-soluble fibre is so so good for me. But I'll save that for another thread. < g >

Hope you find some peace with this. My wife came down from 125 pounds at Christmas time to 106 before she woke up. She had been diagnosed as being pre-diabetic and changed her diet accordingly. She got very sick before she was willing to consider that what the rules say and what works for her may differ.

If you eat more calories than you spend it's pretty tough for a healthy body to lose weight as I understand it.

The Vegan Society has a small bit on weight gain posted at:
http://www.vegansociety.com/html/peo...lth/weight.php

Good luck with it. Keep us posted.
Cheers! Ian.
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 07-02-04, 05:16 PM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,216 Times in 2,583 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute
I think the key here is to "lower" carbs, not institue a drastic cut. Perhaps the following information will help: According to the USDA, people consuming 2,000 calories a day should eat no more than about 10 teaspoons of added sugar. USDA surveys show that the average American is consuming about 20 teaspoons of sugar per day. This is cheifly found in soft drinks, fast foods, cakes, and cookies. In understanding sugar consumption the numbers help translate that the average American adult swallows 210 grams of refined carbs (that’s total carbohydrates, minus dietary fiber, for those who’ve been buried under a pound of pasta) each day. Even among the bottom 5 percent of carb consumers -– meaning 19 of every 20 people were eating more carbs than they were –- the average was still 145 grams for men and 109 grams for women, a combined average of 128 grams. Low-carb diets like Atkins recommend as little as 20 grams of effective carbohydrates each day in early phases. But a steady increase is recommended to maintain overall health.

In addition to that thought I would suggest a weight building program...muscle after all weighs more than fat and you would reap greater benefits.

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-04, 05:19 PM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,216 Times in 2,583 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute
Another thought...does the number count as much as how you feel? I'd ask my doctor the very same question.

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
Old 07-02-04, 08:39 PM
Jr Member

Jetta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andilavit2
Another thought...does the number count as much as how you feel? I'd ask my doctor the very same question.
That is a good question, and it has taken me a very long time to come to a place where the numbers matter so little that I can lose weight without noticeing it. But my doctor will prob still be concerned, and it's not without reason, as I have a history of eating disorders. It is hard to tell if someone with an ED is lying or not when it comes to food and weight, so I wouldn't blame her for questioning me on whether a signifigant loss is intentional or not. And if I say it's not intentional and she believes me, she may attribute it to the side effects of my medication (loss of appetite). I appreciate that she has this number that she is not willing to let me go below as it is a safety net in a way, often eating disorders start as a normal weight loss but you get addicted to the numbers going down. She dosen't want me to get to a state that will be difficult to come back from.

Thanks for the advice, I will look into the suggestions made.
Old 07-02-04, 08:46 PM
Contributor

t-bird is on a distinguished road
Hi Jetta,

Maybe you should just cut out the "bad" carbs. That way you won't start losing weight. You can stick to the protein but add in carbs from fruit and vegetables.