ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 02-05-18, 09:34 AM

InquisitiveMind is on a distinguished road
Stimulant drugs havenít really helped my focus?

Iím a student who lives off an extremely tight budget and has been spending A LOT of money on my appointments with my private doc in the U.K. Iíve so far tried ritalin and Concerta at low dosages, both of which practically made me worse than ever and which Iím sure made my motivation hit rock bottom. Since then Iíve been on Vyvanse for three months, and am at 50mg now. It helps me feel better and calmer, since I had a pretty low mood this past year, and it somewhat helps me with my motivation, although Iím not seeing any real affect on my focus despite what my initial thinkining was.

I experienced euphoria on the first day since I hadnít really used any kind of dopamine influencing drugs previously. Now Iím feeling that when studying I donít really get any motivation to study and will still easily be distracted. In other situations Iím pretty much okay, although I do feel I communicate better with people now.

To add to this, 50mg only really lasts me 6 hours more or less, with slight variations depending on if I have my breakfast earlier or later and if I supplement with magnesium. At the end of this 6 hours I usually crash somewhat and mitigate this by having a caffeine drink which seems to do okay.

Iím scared that nothing has really worked for me, and given the UKs strict regulations, thereís isnít anything else other than Dexedrine which can be prescribed. Does anyone have any solutions? I previously experienced acid reflux so I donít know if that plays a roll in the effect or longetivity of the drug. Will non-stimulant drugs like Intuiniv in addition to Elvanse help?

Thanks
Old 02-05-18, 11:16 AM

Fluppets is on a distinguished road
Re: Stimulant drugs havenít really helped my focus?

Hm after trying stimulants my doctor prescribed Wellbutrin (didnt work) and now Strattera. These are usually (in that order) the go-to medications if stimulants dont work. IDK about intuniv, it's not prescribed for adults where I'm from.
200 mg Sertraline
5 mg Abilify
80 mg Strattera
Old 02-05-18, 11:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,714 Times in 13,713 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

You could still try dexamphetamine. It worked best for me.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-18, 12:08 PM

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

So far you have had low dosages of methylphenidate and the weakest of the amphetamine-based ADHD medications.

It is perhaps no surprise your focus has not improved. You may need a higher dose of either medication to experience efficacy.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 02-06-18, 05:57 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,657 Times in 14,615 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I am biased against vyvanse-Ill say that first. Its heavily marketed with no generic(at least in the us) and it never seems to last the purported 12 hours (which is its marketing high point). I have a friend in the uk who goes private and dex has been the best for her both in effectiveness and because you take it more than once a day.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 02-12-18, 04:49 AM

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

Adderall in instant release. Lasts about 4 hours and you can take it again. It can be stronger than extended release for some people.
ďSometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.Ē