ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Other Creative Endeavors
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-17, 04:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

userguide has a spectacular aura aboutuserguide has a spectacular aura about
How to write and sell a book ?

Has anyone here tried ?

My main concern is that nobody would care to read it.

How do you make people read your books when you can't leverage expensive distribution channels?

If I start selling the electronic copy on amazon, is there a chance of success if I don't put money for ads ?

Do I have a chance to be on the shelf of a major bookstore chain If I am not from a repsected publisher ?
Or maybe this way :

How do I work my way to the shelves of the big bookstores If I am not from a major publishing house ?

And do I have to necesserily hold meetings with public as the author ?
Old 08-27-17, 04:55 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,481 Times in 11,992 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to write and sell a book ?

As far as I know, amazon run a publishing service thing but you have to be the one to market your own book (I could be wrong). There's also books you can get that talk you through the route through a normal publishers
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (08-27-17), userguide (08-28-17)
Old 09-01-17, 04:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,448 Times in 1,765 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

You might try a writers forum if you don't get many responses here.

Maybe there are some writers here though.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
userguide (09-02-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-17, 04:51 PM

Thanked 19,612 Times in 10,438 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

There are 16 book publishers in Zagreb, Croatia.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
userguide (09-02-17)
Old 09-01-17, 05:05 PM

Thanked 5,831 Times in 2,832 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

The good thing about writing is that you don't even need to be any good at it. Look at the utter garbage that is written in mainstream newspapers/tabloids and they still sell many thousands.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (09-01-17), kkristin17 (10-09-17), userguide (09-02-17)
Old 09-01-17, 06:31 PM
Contributor

Emre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
Has anyone here tried ?

My main concern is that nobody would care to read it.

How do you make people read your books when you can't leverage expensive distribution channels?

If I start selling the electronic copy on amazon, is there a chance of success if I don't put money for ads ?

Do I have a chance to be on the shelf of a major bookstore chain If I am not from a repsected publisher ?
Or maybe this way :

How do I work my way to the shelves of the big bookstores If I am not from a major publishing house ?

And do I have to necesserily hold meetings with public as the author ?
if u dont put some amount of money for ads, i dont think that you can reach serious amount of readers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
userguide (09-02-17)
Old 10-09-17, 08:28 PM

kkristin17 is on a distinguished road

My boyfriend publishes Kindle books, so I have a pretty good idea of the industry.

Anyone can publish a book on Kindle. It's worth a shot, because it's a valuable skill to learn. I say go for it.

You can target keywords on Amazon so that people who search Amazon will eventually find your book.

The hard part is writing a book on a topic that will immediately capture people's interest, and stand out in a way that's original.

I recommend reading works by Ryan Holiday, because he works with Penguin publishing, and has a great grasp of publishing quality books.

His latest book Perennial Seller is all about this.