ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-17, 08:08 AM

MindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the rough
Suspected Bipolar 2. Feeling really stupid.

Last year I was diagnosed with ADHD and I think it痴 an accurate diagnosis. However due to my mood swings over the years and antidepressants needing to be switched and adjusted, I知 seriously suspecting that I might have Bipolar 2. I知 not sure about that. I feel stupid because the ADHD diagnosis took so long to get assessed for and people invested a lot of time and effort into helping me but I知 still not functioning. I知 worried that if I bring up Bipolar that they値l think I知 just shopping for a diagnosis. I don稚 know what to do right now. Maybe keep a mood chart?
Old 11-25-17, 08:16 AM
Contributor

Emre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Suspected Bipolar 2. Feeling really stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBlind View Post
Last year I was diagnosed with ADHD and I think it痴 an accurate diagnosis. However due to my mood swings over the years and antidepressants needing to be switched and adjusted, I知 seriously suspecting that I might have Bipolar 2. I知 not sure about that. I feel stupid because the ADHD diagnosis took so long to get assessed for and people invested a lot of time and effort into helping me but I知 still not functioning. I知 worried that if I bring up Bipolar that they値l think I知 just shopping for a diagnosis. I don稚 know what to do right now. Maybe keep a mood chart?
Have you ever experienced something like hypomania or manic episode?
I have mood swings too but my doctor said it is happening because i have too much impulsivity.
I think it isnt easy to say that you have bipolar disorder due to only mood swings.
Old 11-25-17, 01:31 PM

MindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre22 View Post
Have you ever experienced something like hypomania or manic episode?
I have mood swings too but my doctor said it is happening because i have too much impulsivity.
I think it isnt easy to say that you have bipolar disorder due to only mood swings.

I have had hypomanic symptoms and mixed symptoms but I agree - mood swings don稚 automatically mean bipolar. I hope these mood swings are just the impulsivity part of my ADHD but it痴 distressing nonetheless.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-17, 08:41 PM

allesandro1 will become famous soon enough

that's a tough question. I think maybe seeing someone weekly might be a good idea because they can offer an objective opinion. it's a tricky diagnosis.
Old 11-27-17, 06:37 AM

DeClutter is a name known to allDeClutter is a name known to allDeClutter is a name known to allDeClutter is a name known to allDeClutter is a name known to allDeClutter is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBlind View Post
I’m worried that if I bring up Bipolar that they’ll think I’m just shopping for a diagnosis. I don’t know what to do right now. Maybe keep a mood chart?
AD(H)D and Bipolar do overlap in my opinion, if i look back at my life there have been highs and lows, which could even fit in hypomaniac and depressed states.

But ussually when i look back there are clearly parallel factors in my life that i can point out that from an ADD/hyperfocus point of view influence my mood states for longer periods of time. It is rarely that i get depressed when things are going well, same goes for the other way around. I think herein lies the difference.
Old 11-27-17, 08:11 AM

Lash107 is on a distinguished road

There’s no reason to feel stupid...only a qualified doctor (psychiatrist) can evaluate you for bipolar disorder. In my opinion, a mood chart can be helpful ... but the first thing is to see a psychiatrist as soon as possible.

I have bipolar disorder 1 and I’ve found that I’ve had issues with concentration, distractibility, focus, etc., that have some similarities to ADD.

Follow your gut instinct and if you do not like the psychiatrist, go see another one. Describe your symptoms and your concern that you may have bipolar disorder. Let them know about any meds you are on and any other diagnoses (such as ADHD diagnosis). They will take it from there.

Keep us posted!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lash107 For This Useful Post:
Arei (12-09-17)
Old 12-01-17, 05:54 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,555 Times in 13,428 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I am bipolar II and I had to treat that first before I could address the adhd. I take a cocktail of meds that saved my life and have kept me out of the hospital for quite a few years. For me the "mania" isnt your typical risk taking, dangerous mania. Its hypomania where I wont sleep and get super super hype and up. My husband will always notice this before me and ask me if I took my meds and I get mad at him and say" why cant I just be happy. why does it always have to be a bipolar thing"? Them Ill be up all night inapproriately starting projects and leaving them, cleaning and just up. Then comes the depressive crash where I am on the couch for three days. My point is my husband knows the mania is cycle is happening before I do. I dont even realize its starting or that I am in it until the depressive crash.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.