ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 10-21-19, 06:38 PM
Jr Member

Clstlg is on a distinguished road
New Doctor Stonewalling

Our old family doctor retired and we have been looking for a new doctor.

I've been going in to an urgent care to get my daughter's ritalin prescription until we could find someone who would take our insurance and new ADHD patients (how can that even be a thing?).

We finally got into a multi doctor practice, but when I told them that she was due for a new prescription in two weeks they started telling me that she had to get approved by the insurance and it would be a day or two...they'll make an appointment when she gets approved. A week later I called again to see what was up and they told me that the doctor had to approve her...they'll get back to me--oh, and by the way...does she have supplemental insurance? Why? Now, she has one day left in her prescription and I call again...rather desperate. Now they're calling insurance again?

I can go to the urgent care again, but it's dang expensive because I have to pay for a visit to get the prescription. I can't even go to a sliding scale clinic because they want a copy of the diagnosis from a psychologist--which I don't have any more because it's been YEARS and she didn't recommend meds at the time. My family doctor prescribed the meds over a year ago.

Has anyone else run into this problem? How do I work through this with the doctor (who obviously is putting me off)? I'm about to pull my hair out!

TIA!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clstlg For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-22-19), SashaBV (11-03-19)
Old 10-22-19, 01:08 PM
Jr Member

Re: New Doctor Stonewalling

Update: She is now officially out of her medication and when I contacted the doctor's office they finally told me that the doctor does not want to take her on.

I am absolutely gobsmacked.

So I started calling around to try and find a doctor who will take ADHD patients and there is only one. ONE. And this doctor is out another month on appointments...and only prescribes Ritalin on a case to case basis.

I probably put this in the wrong category because this has turned into a rant rather than a "diagnosis" problem.

I am just so angry and hurt and it's difficult for me to talk to these offices without crying because my little one needs her medication to be able to concentrate in school and they are basically telling me that she is not worth their time or is too much of a problem to deal with.

How can they do that? These aren't specialty doctors, they're family practitioners--isn't family what they do?

Gah!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Clstlg For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-22-19)
Old 10-22-19, 03:17 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,480 Times in 10,840 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Arggghhhh! That is so incredibly frustrating!

I have no practical advice, but a ton of sympathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Clstlg (10-28-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-19, 02:44 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,110 Times in 15,358 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

To be sure I understand... Your family doc started prescribing the ritalin a year ago and retired. And he was the only doc at the practice? On what basis or whose diagnosis did he choose to prescribe the medication? Have you gotten her full medical record from his practice?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-28-19, 12:02 PM
Jr Member

"Your family doc started prescribing the ritalin a year ago and retired. And he was the only doc at the practice?"

Yes. He was a family practitioner in a single doctor practice. He retired in August.

"On what basis or whose diagnosis did he choose to prescribe the medication?"

My daughter had been diagnosed with ADHD when she was 6 (she is 12 now), but meds were not specifically recommended at that time. The psychologist left that decision up to us after going over the pros and cons. My daughter struggled in elementary school, even though she is very bright--so we decided to try meds when she started middle school. Our family practitioner started her out with Ritalin on a small dose to see if that would help. She got straight A's and her confidence went through the roof--so we stuck with the dose.

"Have you gotten her full medical record from his practice?"

Yes. I take it with me when I go to appointments since we didn't have a doctor yet.

So, I went to the after hours to get a prescription and the doctor there wouldn't do it. I was beyond frustrated at this point, but luckily (?) my son came down with strep throat the next day and I took him into the urgent care and got a different doctor. When I told him of my tale of woe, he told me to bring her back and he would refill her prescription. Even better, he told me of a new multi doctor family practitioner office that has a pediatrician who specializes in ADD/ADHD children...and they're taking new patients.

I was able to get an appointment for her in two weeks and one for my husband (type 1 diabetic) in one week! I can't begin to tell you how relieved I am. Yes, I called and discontinued our association with the other doctor's office. They couldn't understand why I was leaving...

I guess I was spoiled with my old doctor, but it never occurred to me that a family doctor would turn down a child because of a diagnosis. My daughter even asked me (after the doctor at the urgent care wouldn't fill the prescription), "is there something wrong with me...am I a bad person because of my diagnosis?"--it broke my heart. I shouldn't have to be in a position to explain to my daughter that she is just fine and that some doctors just aren't comfortable prescribing what she needs. Bah!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clstlg For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-04-19), namazu (10-28-19), SashaBV (11-03-19)
Old 10-28-19, 12:51 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,480 Times in 10,840 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Whew! Clstlg, I'm so glad you were able to find someone to see you (all).

It's a crying shame that it was so difficult and that you got the runaround first, but I'm glad it sounds like things are headed for a good resolution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Clstlg (11-05-19), Little Missy (11-04-19)
Old 11-03-19, 09:52 PM
Contributor

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

I am SO happy someone is going to help you and your child! I was getting angry at the docs just reading your post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
Clstlg (11-05-19), Little Missy (11-04-19)