ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-17, 04:52 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,238 Times in 8,584 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does vacuuming make anyone else crazy?

The sound of a vacuum cleaner works on my nerves. I tend to put my hands on my ears whenever a vaccuum cleaner is in operation nearby, but that's hard when its me doing the cleaning.
Lunacie (09-09-17)
Old 09-09-17, 05:00 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,341 Times in 9,043 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek View Post
The sound of a vacuum cleaner works on my nerves. I tend to put my hands on my ears whenever a vaccuum cleaner is in operation nearby, but that's hard when its me doing the cleaning.
Have you tried these? Could help, and hands-free!
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
sarek (09-09-17)
Old 09-09-17, 05:21 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
My daughter puts about that much sugar in her coffee, but no milk. And there
is sugar in my cola. Cookies make me happy, not irritated, so I figured it must
be the caffeine.
Yes you are probably right, only with coffee do i have that particular effect on me.
stef (09-10-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-17, 05:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,740 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

My mom just bought one of those self cleaning vaccums. She absolutely loves it and says it's very quiet. I'm not sensitive to the sound but I don't like cleaning so am regreting being too cheap to buy one.

It's not good at the corners but if you don't make much of a mess at the corners then you don't have to clean them as often yourself.

If you decide to get it, I'd choose a place you can return and get full refund with.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
stef (09-10-17)
Old 09-09-17, 06:10 PM

Thanked 12,570 Times in 5,576 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

I like vacuuming. Especially with a good vacuum...like Dyson, or Filter Queen.

I've got a Dyson. I love it. 9 years old, works perfectly. I love that I can take it apart to each component piece (save the motor) so as to clean it fully. Ingenious design and engineering to be sure.

I don't sweat when vacuuming. That said, after bringing groceries in from shopping, I absolutely need a shower to wash away the saline drip from my head.

For me, vacuuming is calming and meditative in a way that is similar to my experience of ironing.

I will say this though...crap vacuums that are unwieldy and don't suck good and proper will enrage me in short order because of the inefficiency and poor design...but not the vacuuming itself.

I Love a Good Hoover,
Ian
Little Missy (09-09-17)
Old 09-09-17, 11:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek View Post
I also HATE the sound of vacuuming... and many other sounds.. even *any* sound when I'm trying to focus on something and get something done. In my case my ADD (or whatever else I have) causes such a big sensitivity to sensory stimuli, it makes me a pathetic ninny who can hardly tolerate the slightest bit of sensory distress. It's very un-masculine, IMO anyway.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-10-17), Lunacie (09-10-17), stef (09-10-17)
Old 09-10-17, 12:37 AM

Thanked 12,570 Times in 5,576 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55 View Post
In my case my ADD (or whatever else I have) causes such a big sensitivity to sensory stimuli, it makes me a pathetic ninny who can hardly tolerate the slightest bit of sensory distress. It's very un-masculine, IMO anyway.
You've got some strange (to me) ideas about what makes a man a man.

Human beings have nervous systems. Men and women.

I have sensory issues. My sweetie has sensory issues.

I don't think or feel that experiencing distress from one's senses has any gender characteristic whatsoever. It's just very human, very mammalian, very living creature with a nervous system.

To me, part of being a man means dismissing narrow definitions of what it is to be a man, and being your own person.

I'm sensitive and emotive. I cry easily. I can't bear what I can't bear.

Does that make me less of a man? Not to me, and not to my sweetie, and hers is the only opinion I care about.

Not that I could be any different even if I wanted to. And I don't want to.

I wear pink too.

Cheers,
Ian
Little Missy (09-10-17), Lunacie (09-10-17), namazu (09-10-17), stef (09-10-17)
Old 09-10-17, 01:37 AM
Jr Member

Muggy ray is on a distinguished road

The worst thing about vacuuming is when you want it to go one way and it dosent. Or when the chord gets tangled around a chair leg or something, I loose it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Muggy ray For This Useful Post:
stef (09-10-17)
Old 09-10-17, 12:40 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,358 Times in 749 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
It's Sensory Processing Disorder. Sometimes called Sensory Integration Disorder.

Or maybe Misophonia. Google them.
Great........ another disorder!!

I will investigate!

Thank you!!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-10-17), Lunacie (09-10-17), stef (09-10-17), TheGreatKing (09-10-17)
Old 09-11-17, 12:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
You've got some strange (to me) ideas about what makes a man a man.
Well, perhaps I was a tad bit "sarcastic" there but I must admit part of me agrees with what I said literally, otherwise I wouldn't have said it.

I cannot speak for your experience but I think sensory oversensitivity for me is yet another thing on top of a big fat pile, which limits not just the range of what I can do, but what I even want to do. I certainly don't want to deal with a mess, and that applies to a lot of things; I've had some folks tell me it's "immature" to avoid filth because it bothers me though, so maybe that's the real issue, I couldn't say.

And I'm guessing this part of it you don't share: the worst of it for me is just the fact that since I'm never comfortable anywhere (and the noisier/busier a place is, the worse it gets) I cannot look comfortable, I cannot smile, I cannot be at ease. And even when I feel decently good, my body still shows tension. If you want a photograph of an awkward person, make sure you take mine. There are lots of little effects it causes that have big impacts. (Forget about dating sites, for instance.) I am not approachable, and I have had folks ask "what's wrong?" for no reason.

I believe this constant tension, mostly irrespective of what's going on but always worse when it's hot and heavy, leads directly into the stiff posture I described above. Whatever else you might say about all this, I can tell you it does not seem to look very manly; I seem to give others the impression of being a gawky little kid, and it's how I'm treated, like with indifference or as someone who lacks their own agency.

But anyway, keep the vacuum away, if I'm going to keep the lightness here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
To me, part of being a man means dismissing narrow definitions of what it is to be a man, and being your own person.

I'm sensitive and emotive. I cry easily. I can't bear what I can't bear.

Does that make me less of a man? Not to me, and not to my sweetie, and hers is the only opinion I care about.

Not that I could be any different even if I wanted to. And I don't want to.

I wear pink too.
I suppose the only manliness I have left is that I don't cry anymore (unlike when I was younger) because the hypocrisy and cynicism of the world-- which is obscured under some kind of fake idealism--has hardened those tears and they ain't gonna flow no more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-11-17), stef (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 07:00 AM

ScatterBrainX will become famous soon enough

May I suggest using earplugs while vacuuming?

I don't experience sensory overload from vacuuming, but there are other kinds of noises that really get to me. Earplugs, or noise-cancelling headphones, or just listening to some music, whatever works.
namazu (09-11-17), stef (09-11-17), TheGreatKing (09-11-17)
Old 09-12-17, 04:51 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,218 Times in 13,234 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Is miss my old school electrolux from the 70's. Now I have a noisy shark vac.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.