ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 09-13-17, 12:46 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: Is there such a thing as mild ADD?

Quote:
Mild – few, if any, symptoms in excess of those required to make the diagnosis are present, and symptoms result in no more than minor impairments in social or occupational functioning
http://adhd-institute.com/assessment...agnosis/dsm-5/
Lunacie,

"Mild severity" is few, if any, symptoms in excess of those required to make diagnosis, between "NT" and "Moderate" ADHD.

M
Old 09-13-17, 04:32 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,681 Times in 12,960 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to accommodations for things, I think mild/severe etc should be left out. I only recently found out I am severe due to my doctor sharing her notes with my disability review case worker. She said she thought I knew but I'd never considered it before. I have a BA in Eng lit yet my childhood years were sucky grades. I could have used help then but back then you didnt get it for most things like adhd. I would say that at the beginning of college before I got married and had kids (18-20) I was not as "severe" as I am now for whatever reason. I think categorizing adhd can help or hinder. I woudnt want to see someone dismissed or denied help or medication because they are considered mild- yet I would hate to have someone severe miss out because they are considered to severe to benefit from certain types of help.
Plus I dont like p**sing contests.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 09-13-17, 11:10 AM

Thanked 23,508 Times in 10,863 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Lunacie,

"Mild severity" is few, if any, symptoms in excess of those required to make diagnosis, between "NT" and "Moderate" ADHD.

M
ENOUGH to make a diagnosis of ADHD though.

Why wouldn't that have been enough to make a diagnosis before DSM-V?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-17, 01:30 PM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

I was wondering if everyone diagnosed before DSM 5 would be diagnosed with at least moderate ADHD, since I read "mild" ADHD was not in the previous DSM and this article meant to help understand additions and changes to DSM 5, writes that people with "mild" ADHD would not have been diagnosed in the past.

Quote:
Mild is restricted to cases where there are few, if any, symptoms beyond those required to make the diagnosis and no more than minor impairment in functioning. In DSM-IV, where clinically significant impairment was required, these individuals would not be diagnosed.
http://www.helpforadd.com/2013/june.htm

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 09-13-17 at 01:44 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (09-13-17), userguide (09-13-17)
Old 09-13-17, 03:02 PM
Contributor

PoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nice

Quote:
I was wondering if everyone diagnosed before DSM 5 would be diagnosed with at least moderate ADHD, since I read "mild" ADHD was not in the previous DSM and this article meant to help understand additions and changes to DSM 5, writes that people with "mild" ADHD would not have been diagnosed in the past.

M
It does sound to me as if everyone diagnosed before DSM-5 would now be considered to have at least "moderate" ADHD if their symptoms have not changed significantly. In my case, when I was diagnosed I never had any discussion with my psychiatrist or my therapist about the severity or lack thereof of my ADHD. But then, I don't know what they wrote in their notes and it would be interesting to find out.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (09-13-17), userguide (09-13-17)
Old 09-13-17, 07:41 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Honestly i got diagnosed with ADHD they never really went into what category i was in. I wonder why lol I think that is why i still live in denial, having a hard time swallowing the pill.
Old 09-13-17, 08:13 PM

Thanked 23,508 Times in 10,863 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

M
I was better able to read and understand today and you may well be right.

I didn't know that previously there was a category called ADHD-NOS (not
otherwise specified) that often didn't appear to merit treatment or meds.

Which could mean that those who need treatment or accomodations are
now more likely to receive them which is a good thing.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (09-13-17), TheGreatKing (09-13-17)