ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 08-27-13, 01:10 PM

Vyveee is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse helping with OCD and Anxiety, Terrible Adderall reaction

Hi so I just signed up because of this issue. I tried talking to my mom about it but its hard to convey the effects of the drug to people who haven't experiences it. I am prescribed 20 MG of Vyvanse and I'm 16 and 158 pounds and just over 6 foot(idk if weight or anything has any play on that). I got it last thursday to help with my ADD. All my life I had thought I had OCD but my doctor just said I had anxiety. After going on Zoloft, which I had high hopes for because it is supposed to help with anxiety, it just made me worse. I can say I did not snap on people that much but I was so trapped with my anxiety in my head that on the outside I looked fine but on the inside I was in hell. I stopped taking the Zoloft and was better but still had my pre existing symptoms.

I have anxiety to where I almost always expect the worse
I have thoughts that I have to go over and over in my head. Like sentences. For example I almost always go over the thought of my and my girlfriends name over and over exactly in the same formate "Vyveee and GF" over and over till it feels right.
Sometimes I whisper to myself the obsessions.
When I obssess the main problem that drives me made is when my head throws in another word that isnt the right one. Like instead of my girlfriend it will say someone elses name even though I meant to think about my girlfriend.
I will also have sexually explicit thoughts I dont want. Rarely but a long time ago I had violent thoughts. For example I know I only want to be with my girlfriend in a sexual manner but my brain will say "you want to have *** with" even though I find them completely repulsive.

The worse part about it all is that I know these thoughts are not how I feel but they are constantly pelting down on me.

But after starting vyvanse on the first day I loved it. My thoughts are manageable and I am able to focus on things I love doing without the terrible thoughts coming into my mind. When they do I am able to shut them out. My anxiety is almost non existant. I am able to enjoy eating. I love the drug. I am using it as prescribed and do not abuse the drug. However, the way I can first describe it when I took the first dose and notice it kick in, is an euphoric high. It was very pleasant and I felt great. I felt so cozy and safe and happy. The next few days was not as noticable of a high but the drugs did take away the anxiety which is more important. I've been on it since last thursday. Right now after taking my medicine 30 minutes go the euphoria is sweeping over me and I cannot feel the anxiety or thoughts, which is good cause thats what I want it to do. Unexpectedly though I never felt wired which I thought I would feel since vyvanse is supposed to be similar to adderall. My only complaint about the drug is sometimes it wears off for me at around 6 o clock, when I take it around 12-1 which is only 5 or 6 hours. I need to do things after six but often I feel nausea and just quite frankly feel like crap. So I figured I might need an adderall to help get me through the rest of the day since that only should last 4 hours.

Last night I tried adderall. I took the adderall before an acoustic guitar show and by the end all I felt was dry mouth. I did not feel any relief or anything. I wrote off adderall as terrible and not working. Vyvanse is way better. I went to the gym for a little workout session and as I started I could feel my anxiety getting bigger. It felt as if how I was before the Vyvanse and my depression but worse. I then felt the effects of adderall. I was super alert but is was very Dysphoric, or in other worse like the high I experienced on vyvanse but terrible. Instead of relieving the anxiety I had worse anxiety. I felt very dark and depressed. It was terrible and I felt like a robot. It did not feel good at all and I could not believe anyone could take it, or even abuse it. I would never want to take this drug again. The two drugs are so different it is not even funny. Like right now on vyvanse I feel great and happy and am able to shut out the anxiety when I could not do that with the adderall.

Now my question is this. Since the drugs are so similar how come I had a great experience with my vyvanse but the adderall was terrible? Vyvanse felt like a Godsend but the adderall was like a living hell. Has anyone had a similar experience with vyvanse working but adderall making things worse? Also has vyvanse helped people out with their anxiety and ocd like it has with me? I heard the OCD and anxiety might be from my ADD. Also for someone like my who vyvanse only works for, how would I be able to get throught the rest of the day? Vyvanse is supposed to be long lasting for the day so I couldnt just take another vyvanse cause that would keep my up wouldnt it?
Old 08-28-13, 12:13 PM
Contributor

Plognark is a glorious beacon of lightPlognark is a glorious beacon of lightPlognark is a glorious beacon of lightPlognark is a glorious beacon of lightPlognark is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Vyvanse helping with OCD and Anxiety, Terrible Adderall reaction

Well, I'll try to answer a bit as best as I can.

Adderal and Vyvanse are slightly different... adderal is about 25% a different type of amphetamine that some people react differently to. Some people do better with the mix; some don't.

Adderal wasn't great for my anxiety either; I found vyvanse has a much smoother release so I don't get the ups and downs as much.

Caffeine was the major thing that would throw my mood and anxiety all over the place. If you drink coffee or caffeinated soda, I'd say step 1 is to quit and detox from caffeine, and then evaluate the stimulants on their own. Caffeine and amphetamines synergize with each other, and amplify both of their effects... good and bad. After that you can reintroduce caffeine again, in small controlled amounts, and see how you feel.

I can relate to the intrusive thoughts and OCD. Vyvanse made both much better for me. That the euphoric rush will eventually go away; just a warning. Your body will acclimate to it. do NOT chase the rush... that early rush is not the drug working, it's just your body adjusting to something new. I stopped getting it altogether within about three months.
The Following User Says Thank You to Plognark For This Useful Post:
Vyveee (08-28-13)
Old 08-28-13, 01:47 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

jeaniebug is a glorious beacon of lightjeaniebug is a glorious beacon of lightjeaniebug is a glorious beacon of lightjeaniebug is a glorious beacon of lightjeaniebug is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome Vyvee! Glad to see you here! I also take Vyvance, and I also become cheerful, and chatty. More on some days and less on others.

Zoloft absolutely made my anxiety worse. I take Prozac for depression now and it actually helps with anxiety. I am not promoting it, just saying, there are major difference between how each of us reacts to meds. Adderall did give me more focus, but always left with a bad headache and the dry mouth was severe. As was the sweating.

Rambling... Anyway, good luck, and please keep us informed!

The Following User Says Thank You to jeaniebug For This Useful Post:
Vyveee (08-28-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-13, 12:04 AM
ADDvanced Member

bobabuoy is a jewel in the roughbobabuoy is a jewel in the roughbobabuoy is a jewel in the rough

what dose of adderall did you take?
Old 08-29-13, 01:49 AM

Vyveee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabuoy View Post
what dose of adderall did you take?
10mg of adderall