ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 09-17-05, 04:50 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Gourmet is on a distinguished road
great results

My teenage son was diagnosed recently and began taking concerta a couple of weeks ago. The difference in him has been dramatic.

His grades are way up and he is participating more in family time rather than retreating to his room after school. He is so much more alert. He was afraid the drug would interfere with his creativity, but he is on his guitar and writing songs more than ever. So his focus has improved and his creativity is thriving.

I've been reading some on this concerta forum but would like to hear some feedback from teens and younger people or parents with teens who also take concerta. Thanks!

~gourmet~
Old 09-21-05, 05:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

karennerak is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I'm a 41 year old ADDer... I was Diagnosed with ADHD on 15th August this year.. after suffering difficulties all my life, with lack of concentration and impulsive behavior etc etc

I was given Strattera a few weeks ago, but after 17 days of taking it, i was very ill with the horrid side-effects!... i was weaned off the med's slowly and i waved goodbye to all the nasty side-effects!!!

Today is my first day on 36 mg Concerta and i can already feel the benefit of the Med's and as yet, No side-effects (crossed fingers).

I have 5 children and 3 of those, have been diagnosed with ADHD and Conducts Disorder ;
  • 10 year old son has 36 mg Concerta for ADHD and respiradol for his anger.
  • 14 year old son has 36 mg Concerta for ADHD
  • 16 year old son has a 54 mg of Concerta for ADHD
I know, that if my 3 children didn't have their Concerta, they would drive me scatty!!!!

Don't expect too much ; Things will improve with your Teenagers concentration and behavior and things will fall into place... But the right amount of Sleep is important for him too.

If the dosage doesn't seem to be working after a while.. you or your son, should tell the doctor, as the dosage may need to be altered (higher)... different doses suit different people.

Good Luck with your Son and his Med's.. I know what it's like to see the light at the end of the tunnel.. and it's a great feeling!

Hugs Karen
Old 09-21-05, 05:45 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gourmet is on a distinguished road
Thank you Karen I'm glad for your suggestion to make sure he gets plenty of sleep. Teens don't get enough sleep as it is. So far he has not had insomnia.

I am on strattera now and have no problem...but I kind of like the way his concerta is working for him! Maybe I will look for a switch down the road.
I will make sure and take note if he should need a change in dosage.
Again...I appreciate the advice.

~gourmet~
Sponsored Links