ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-02, 06:59 PM

Rodger has disabled reputation
Rodger in Ft Worth

I work with teenagers and adults with attention problems.

This work is new for me. I have a BS in Anthropology, an MS in Counseling, and post-grad studies in Linguistics. Since 1962, I have had careers in electronics, computer programming & analysis, psychotherapy, and business consulting. Starting in 1981, I have been consulting with a linguistic tool I created which describes brain function and predicts behavior based on a person’s language structure. For the last 10 years, I have been based in Uruguay. My consulting work had me traveling in South America, Europe, and the USA.

I was there because my wife is a native of Uruguay and her work is there. Among other projects, she worked with schools, teachers, and students for a variety of issues. In 1999, she started working with the Davis Dyslexia techniques and she helped many students with it. Because of her success with those techniques, clients began asking for interventions for ADHD/ADD. And in late 2000, I began to search for work which would require less travel for me.

In March 2001, we came to the USA and became certified Trainers with Interactive Metronome®. Back in Uruguay, we started working with her clients. She worked with the children and I worked with the teenagers and adults. Over the next year we worked with 20 people using the IM Training.

I have to put in some disclaimers here. I am not an MD. I am not a Psychologist. I cannot talk about diagnosis or cure or anything that is in the arena that belongs to doctors and psychologists. I can only talk about my personal experiences. So, all that I talk about here is my personal experience

The basic IM program teaches focus, concentration, and timing. Of the 20 people we worked with, 17 achieved dramatic reduction of their symptoms of ADHD. When I talk about dramatic reduction, I mean that after program graduation, I could not see those things which others would see to recognize ADHD. This included dramatic reduction of things like fidgeting, inability to stay at task, inability to sit still, impulsiveness, aggressive behavior, clumsiness, and difficulties in math and reading. For the 3 who did not achieve dramatic reduction of symptoms, they did receive noticeable reduction of their symptoms.

In May 2002, we opened our office in Ft Worth, to offer the IM Training program here in the USA. Since opening here, we have graduated 15 people with the same kinds of results we saw in Uruguay. And, I don’t have to travel for my work.

I’m joining this forum so I can learn more about the personal experiences of those with ADHD (and their parents). I hope to learn things which will help me and my clients.

Last edited by Rodger; 07-20-02 at 07:09 PM..
Old 07-23-02, 11:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
Hi !

Very interesting...I'll check out both those links.

Thanks
Old 07-23-02, 12:09 PM

In the Interactive Metronome website, there is a provider locator that tells you the closest IM Trainer to your zip code.
Old 08-04-02, 01:02 PM

Interactive Metronome Explained

I thought I would put together some paragraphs to more fully explain the IM Training program:

What is the Interactive Metronome Training program and what does it do?

Short Answer:

The Interactive Metronome (IM) is a training program which teaches focus, concentration, and timing. The basic program is 15, one-hour sessions (some require more sessions).

Long Answer:

The IM Training program was developed in 1991 by a studio sound engineer who wanted to help band members stay on the beat. When people completed the program, their timing was steady and very precise. Some of those who took the training had ADHD/ADD and because of the IM Training their ADHD/ADD symptoms were reduced or eliminated.

When this effect was recognized, the developer decided to explore more fully what this program was accomplishing. A research project of 54 boys (all diagnosed with ADHD) proved that the IM Training program really does make the ADHD/ADD symptoms go away.

The High/Scope Educational Research Foundation is the organization which performed the research proving the need for the Head Start Program. One of their recent research projects with 585 children proved that timing and rhythmicity are directly correlated to performance in school.

But what is it about IM's ‘timing training' that makes ADHD/ADD symptoms go away? Our own experience with children and adults with ADHD/ADD is they don't have steady rhythmicity. They
can't keep a beat. When we test their ability to keep a beat, they are random, or they are constantly speeding up or slowing down or some combination. After they take the IM Training program, they are able to keep a steady beat. In fact, they become very precise at keeping a beat.

I can't help thinking that this inability to keep a beat is at the heart of most ADHD/ADD symptoms. When we listen to someone speaking, they are speaking at a particular rate of speed. If
we cannot keep a similar rhythm in our listening, we will lose a lot of what is being said. If a task requires a particular rhythm of thinking or action to be successful, and a person cannot maintain
that rhythm, that person cannot successfully perform that task. By training those with ADHD/ADD to keep a steady beat, we are reducing their symptoms.

The IM Training also makes symptoms of ADHD/ADD go away in another way. When people take the IM Training they wear a headphone and listen to a steady beat (a little slower than one
beat/second). They tap their hands or feet on a sensor in time with the beat. The equipment keeps track of how far off the beat they are through each exercise. In the first session of the IM Training program, the trainee learns how to maintain focus and improve timing for exercises of 4, 6 and 8 minutes. In the later sessions the trainee improves timing and focus with exercises of 8 minutes and 38 minutes. So, over the course of the 15 sessions, the trainee learns how to maintain focus for longer and longer periods of time.

One feature which makes the IM Training successful is its patented guide sounds. While trainees are doing the learning exercises, they receive immediate feedback (beat for beat) about how close they are to being perfectly on the beat. This feedback permits this program to provide permanent, dramatic results very quickly (usually 3 to 5 weeks).

Practicing some musical instrument or taping in time with a traditional metronome provides no feedback. It is possible to practice for an hour without ever knowing how far you are off the beat. It takes months of lessons and practice with musical instruments to achieve some reduction in symptoms. It takes years of such practice to achieve the kind of results obtained from the IM Training.

Some people with ADHD/ADD also have another condition called Auditory Hypersensitivity. This is (a non-medical condition) where a person is distracted or irritated by certain sounds, volume levels, or combinations of sounds. People with Auditory Hypersensitivity have difficulty focusing because they are easily distracted from their tasks by those sounds.

The IM Training program has been shown to reduce Auditory Hypersensitivity. Over the course of the IM Training, as trainees learn how to focus, they learn how to ‘focus out' distractions
including those problems they might have with sounds.

The IM Training also improves coordination. In the IM Training, there are 13 unique exercises which involve upper body & lower body, left side & right side, forward & backward movements,
and some exercises which combine left & right sides and upper & lower body. In each of these exercises, trainees learn how to make these movements achieving more and more precise timing.
This all results in improved coordination. Overall, the trainees' movements become less clumsy and more graceful.

What happens to ‘normal' people who take the IM Training program? In one research program golfers who took the IM Training improved their accuracy (how close they were to the pin) by 20%. In another research project 400 ‘normal' high school students improved their reading fluency by 1.75 years and their math fluency by 1.1 years.

The IM Training improves focus, concentration, coordination, and timing. This shows up as improvement in academic and athletic tasks.

Call us at 817-656-1780 to learn more about the IM Training and how you and your family can benefit from it.

Last edited by Rodger; 08-04-02 at 07:59 PM..
Old 03-30-04, 10:35 AM
Contributor

bnsforu2 is on a distinguished road
In March 2001, we came to the USA and became certified Trainers with Interactive Metronome®. Back in Uruguay, we started working with her clients. She worked with the children and I worked with the teenagers and adults. Over the next year we worked with 20 people using the IM Training.
=========================================

i would be interested in the im training. well, learning more about it.

Paul