ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-19, 04:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road
Do you laugh easily?

I've found a quiz of Dr. Edward Hallowell (to my knowledge he's also adhd) at https://themacroscope.files.wordpres...-quiz-pg-4.jpg
There are very interesting determinations. Most of questions suit me. I answered most of questions as yes.
One of question is 'do you laugh easily?'. Another similar question is 'do you sometimes smile in conversation in hopes that it will be a sufficient contribution,becuse you have totally lost track of what is being talking about?'
My answers are 'absolutly yes' for both of questions.
What about you?
Started with ritalin (worked only for two weeks)
Also tried wellbutrin and strattera
Now DHEA and concerta
For about three years local corticosteroid pomades for atopic dermatitis.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PI-ADHD 29 For This Useful Post:
Andi (01-31-19), Greyhound1 (01-27-19)
Old 01-27-19, 05:11 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of
Re: Do you laugh easily?

I laugh easily, too. In fact, I often laugh when I shouldn't when I'm talking about something bad that happened to me or about something tragic in the news. Occasionally, people are a little confused and will say, "Why are you laughing?" In my case it's probably what is called "nervous laughter". Here's some of what Wikipedia has to say about "nervous laughter":

Quote:
Nervous laughter is a physical reaction to stress, tension, confusion, or anxiety. Neuroscientist Vilayanur S. Ramachandran states "We have nervous laughter because we want to make ourselves think what horrible thing we encountered isn't really as horrible as it appears, something we want to believe."

People laugh when they need to project dignity and control during times of stress and anxiety. In these situations, people usually laugh in a subconscious attempt to reduce stress and calm down, however, it often works otherwise. Nervous laughter is often considered fake laughter and even heightens the awkwardness of the situation....

People may laugh nervously when exposed to stress due to witnessing others' pain....

If the individual is shy or bashful and appears nervous when talking, they are likely to exhibit nervous laughter. Individuals who are shy and introverted who find themselves the center of conversational attention often become "giddy" with nervous laughter; this is a subconscious response caused by the brain over-thinking due to social anxiety or inexperience.
It's kind of embarrassing when I laugh at inappropriate times.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (01-27-19)
Old 01-27-19, 05:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,465 Times in 13,294 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Yes to both!

I love when someone says something genuinely funny and always laugh; I especially do the smiling thing with a group of friends, because I've lost track of the conversation, or there are 2 conversations going on, and I'm sitting there and suddenly it looks like a scene from a film, and I just kind of fondly gaze at them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Daniel1970 (01-31-19), Greyhound1 (01-27-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-19, 12:20 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,246 Times in 7,782 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes to everything except having recurrent dreams of walking around naked and being mortified. #117. I’m not sure how or why it relates to ADHD. Seems like it could also be related to self confidence, self esteem or self image.

Most of the others were dead on. Especially, laughing easily and smiling like a Cheshire Cat during boring conversations when I’m not paying attention.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (01-27-19)
Old 01-31-19, 12:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold

I've gotten better at focusing when people talk to me. The Vyvanse helps, especially at work, and meditation too.

But oh lord if there's something interesting on my laptop or the TV and someone keeps talking; my natural inclination is to try to do both at once, especially if there's no way to pause what's on the screen, and the person talking to me becomes a sort of Charlie Brown's-teacher voice in the background! lol

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
Old 01-31-19, 12:59 PM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,210 Times in 2,580 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say I laugh easily. I'm more of a chuckle person and rarely bust out laughing. But when I do...omg, reign it in lady. But I so totally smile in a conversation and nod, as if that is enough to participate. Absolutely find myself drifting while I do it.

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andi For This Useful Post:
Daniel1970 (01-31-19), PoppnNSailinMan (02-07-19)
Old 02-01-19, 01:17 AM

belljohn330 is on a distinguished road

People who are good-natured, those who are relaxed & accepting life as it is laughed easier. They are ready to learn to be amazed, they are curious.

Thank you.
Novela
Old 02-01-19, 02:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,553 Times in 2,399 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Not for a long time. Lost my spark a long time ago and never got it back.
Old 02-05-19, 10:35 PM

soulsearcher is on a distinguished road

i tend to take life quite serious even though I know i shouldn't but what happens to me is when i laugh i really do laugh and it tends to loop in my head and i cant stop.
Once I was at sprituist church and my uncle got a message and i could not stop laughthing even though it was not funny

I had to go out side and take deep breaths it was embaressing to this day i have no idea why.

it does matter where i am. once there was a guy who had ADHD and i just got set off and me and him could not stop laughing no one else thought it was funny it was very strange.

also people say I smile at them but i am not aware of it and it has caused a few issues in the past.