ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 11-10-04, 03:36 AM

Texadelphia515 is on a distinguished road
Angry Problems with Dexedrine/Adderall

Hello, I'm new to this forum. It seems like just the thing that I've been looking for all of this time. I figured that someone out of y'all could give me some pointers in regard to the problem I'm having with my meds. So, let me get to the point. I used to be on a 30mg dosage of Adderall XR. This worked for quite some time, but eventually it started to "wear off" too soon. Initially, I would be focused and attentive. However, after a year or so, these effects would diminish after a few hours. Afterwards, I would feel just strangely out of whack. I would get dry mouth, very socially introverted, and just generally be anxious and somewhat disconnected/disinterested in my surroundings. It is almost as if my emotions disappear. I know this is similar to the amphetamine crash. What's strange is that I'd expect the XR dosage to last longer than a few hours. What's even stranger is that when I force myself to eat something, I feel normal temporarily, then I'll descend back in to that negative state. Oh yes, and regardless of this crash I still experience insomnia, for which I take hydroxyzine (Atarax) and AmBien. These, however, are not always effective.

I tried to switch to Dexedrine. I now take one 15mg spansule every morning. For about a week, that worked fairly well, but then I began having the same side effects. I'm aware that dexedrine is pure d-amph, whilst Adderall is half d-amph and half l-amph. So, it is reasonable that the side-effects would be similar, but I thought that maybe Dexedrine would have fewer side-effects due to the lack of the more peripherally-active l-amph. Anyways, I was just looking for suggestions on how to combat this issue. These medications are quite effective for me before this phenomenon sets in, but the side effects are becoming increasingly bothersome. I don't know if I should ask my doctor for some immediate release pills to fill in the down times, or if I should just take a higher dosage of the spansules. The thing is I don't want to make the sleplessness any worse. Anyways, I'm rambling. Hopefully someone has experienced a similar problem, and has some sort of solution.

Thanks

JCE