ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-17, 09:37 AM

CasioCurious is on a distinguished road
Am I going crazy??

So, for the last last year I have been blaming my adhd symptoms on:

- Gluten
- lack of exercise
- the devil ( I'm serious)
- lack of discpline
- Sins and diminishing faith

But I realized I want to change badly. I have read all these self help books on organization and time management, yet I could never muster the effort. It like my brain can't understand time and the importance of the future. It's all about NOW.

I grew up in a dysfunctional family that don't talk to each other. My parents have literally been roommates( they don't talk at all) for 30 years and now just divorced. We are 12 kids that all have the same adhd symptoms. It seems like we got this adhd personality from my dad.

So once again, I'm blaming something other than adhd-- emotionanal problems from my dysfunctional family.
Am I going crazy y'all?

Sent from phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to CasioCurious For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-15-17)
Old 07-14-17, 05:38 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,821 Times in 660 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Am I going crazy??

I have used your metaphysical explanations of ADHD symptoms as well. Glad I let go of my faith (well it was not really a choice, it was the gradual realization that I didn't have any evidence for my belief, combined with the conclusion that I didn't actually need it), to me, letting go was essential for my road to becoming functional.

I also explained my add as a discipline problem. I still think that in part/in some situation this is true, I mean, ADHD people can be lazy as well. Sometimes I am. ADHD should never become an excuse. But often, perhaps most of the time, I am trying very hard, and when things don't go well it's clear that it's not due to not trying hard enough, but it's more like an impairment. And that doesn't keep me from trying again and again and again. So, while my integrity demands of me to admit that discipline is [i]sometimes[/] a problem (being human), I actually hate this explanation because it's untrue more often than not.

I have not used gluten as an explanation, but I have suspected some vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Still may play a role, don't know. Perhaps I should investigate this. Anyways, this is not the core issue, I have lived quite healthily for most of my life so far and ADHD symptoms have always been there.

Lack of exercise could play a role, but it's not the core issue. I have picked up exercising a few years ago and I do it a lot now, and it does help me significantly with focussing, but it's no cure.

your upbringing could play a role as well. your situation sounds very challenging, I hope you find a way to improve it. keep posting here if it helps you.

Last edited by namazu; 07-15-17 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: Religious discussion is prohibited outside of the Meditation & Spirituality and Debates sections.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
kwalk (07-15-17), Lunacie (07-15-17), Pilgrim (07-16-17)
Old 07-14-17, 09:20 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksper View Post
Glad I let go of my faith (well it was not really a choice, it was the gradual realization that I didn't have any evidence for my belief, combined with the conclusion that I didn't actually need it), to me, letting go was essential for my road to becoming functional.
Some faith-related practices such as meditation or prayer can promote a certain mindfulness that could be useful to people with ADHD. I like some of these kinds of practices.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)

Last edited by namazu; 07-15-17 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: Religious discussion is prohibited outside of Meditation & Spirituality and Debates.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-17, 12:59 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,737 Times in 9,278 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Reminder from the moderators:
Religious discussion is prohibited by ADDF guidelines outside of the Meditation & Spirituality and Debates sections of the forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Banned Topics:
* The main focus of ADD Forums is to provide a safe supportive place for people affected by AD/HD, and other co-morbid disorders. To do this, sometimes we must limit the scope of the permitted topics, to foster such a supportive environment.

* We have had issues arise here that have prevented this from happening - primarily members voicing their opinions about religious and political matters. While everyone is allowed their own opinions, there really is no other way to prevent such issues from "disturbing the peace", except to keep these things completely out of the ADD Forums in the first place.

* It is against ADD Forums Guidelines to discuss religious and political matters on the ADD Forums.
Please refrain from discussing religion or making statements of belief (or lack of belief) in this section. Any member is welcome to start a new thread in Meditation & Spirituality to address the role of your faith or spiritual practices in managing your ADHD, or in the password-protected Debates section if you wish to discuss the merits of religion (or lack thereof) more generally.

Thank you!

Last edited by namazu; 07-15-17 at 01:11 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 01:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,847 Times in 1,167 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

It is a very real condition that can be dealt with, knowledge is power. Those feelings of hopelessness and uncertainty is hard.
Don't blame yourself and if someone you know has ADD see there behaviour for what it is. The thing that ADD can be problematic is interpersonal relationships, impulsivity, time blindness and lower self esteem, these can be helped with medication and therapy. Goodluck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
DJ Bill (07-17-17), Lunacie (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 01:20 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,737 Times in 9,278 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

CasioCurious,

Have you been formally diagnosed with ADHD, and if so, are you seeing a mental health clinician of some sort for treatment?

Or are you pre-diagnosis and realizing that the things you'd attributed your symptoms to don't suffice to explain your situation?

Emotion issues from having grown up in a dysfunctional family can certainly take their toll -- and are you currently living with your parents/siblings? -- beyond whatever problems ADHD itself causes.

Sorting out those issues -- what's your inherent way of being, and what extra layers of family-related emotional stuff are piled on top of that, and how they interact -- can be a real challenge.

In any case, I don't think you're going crazy! But it might help you to discuss with a mental health professional who has experience with adult ADHD and family issues. It sounds like there's more going on than a dietary change and some self-help books and sheer force of will alone can address.

Best wishes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
DJ Bill (07-17-17), Lunacie (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 04:18 PM

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

Well I had a very dysfunctional family, have gluten issues now, and I have ADHD. My inattentive symptoms may be worse or my memory because of the turmoil and distance. I probably would have done better in school when I was diagnosed because I didn't really have discipline. I am still very ADHD tho. My gluten issues probably
Make me more tired sometimes.
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
Old 07-15-17, 11:00 PM

CasioCurious is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
CasioCurious,

Have you been formally diagnosed with ADHD, and if so, are you seeing a mental health clinician of some sort for treatment?

Or are you pre-diagnosis and realizing that the things you'd attributed your symptoms to don't suffice to explain your situation?

Emotion issues from having grown up in a dysfunctional family can certainly take their toll -- and are you currently living with your parents/siblings? -- beyond whatever problems ADHD itself causes.

Sorting out those issues -- what's your inherent way of being, and what extra layers of family-related emotional stuff are piled on top of that, and how they interact -- can be a real challenge.

In any case, I don't think you're going crazy! But it might help you to discuss with a mental health professional who has experience with adult ADHD and family issues. It sounds like there's more going on than a dietary change and some self-help books and sheer force of will alone can address.

Best wishes.
Namazu, I was never properly diagnosed. I saw a psychiatrist and after questioning me for like 30 min told me I might be ADD or just depressed and send me to see a nurse practitioner. The nurse basically gave me Adderall and send me on my way.

Honestly, the Adderall fixed all my issues. It was as if I was blind this whole time and I could finally see. The things is, the Adderall was a bit harsh on me physically and sometimes I would lose my personality and be a productive zombie. So, I said goodbye to Adderall and became skeptical once again because I was never diagnosed by an ADD expert.

Now I'm thinking about going to my GP so he can refer me to someone who is specialized in ADHD. Even if I don't ADHD I might just take the damn Adderall because it calms me down.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CasioCurious For This Useful Post:
kwalk (07-17-17), namazu (07-15-17), PoppnNSailinMan (07-16-17)
Old 07-16-17, 02:51 AM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasioCurious View Post
Namazu, I was never properly diagnosed. I saw a psychiatrist and after questioning me for like 30 min told me I might be ADD or just depressed and send me to see a nurse practitioner. The nurse basically gave me Adderall and send me on my way.

Honestly, the Adderall fixed all my issues. It was as if I was blind this whole time and I could finally see. The things is, the Adderall was a bit harsh on me physically and sometimes I would lose my personality and be a productive zombie. So, I said goodbye to Adderall and became skeptical once again because I was never diagnosed by an ADD expert.

Now I'm thinking about going to my GP so he can refer me to someone who is specialized in ADHD. Even if I don't ADHD I might just take the damn Adderall because it calms me down.
It's not always easy to find someone who is competent to diagnose and treat ADHD. I just saw this in the latest edition of Additude magazine (Summer 2017):

Quote:
A study conducted by Peter S. Jensen, MD, author of Making the System Work for Your Child with ADHD, at the Mayo Clinic several years ago concluded that the average family saw 11 clinicians before they found one who was competent to treat their child’s ADHD. The number is the same for adults with ADHD.
It might take some searching on your part until you can find someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to treating ADHD in adults. I've had this problem myself and only recently found someone who has really educated himself on ADHD in adults and to whom I could actually get a referral. I was starting to lose hope.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
CasioCurious (07-18-17), namazu (07-16-17)
Old 07-17-17, 02:07 AM

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

If you can take instant release, it usually only last 4 hours. You don't have to take it when you're around people more. If my adderall worked for me like it did for you I wouldn't say no. Ah the ups and downs of meds. You could also try different brands of generics, I hear so many different experiences. I myself love sandoz.
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
Old 07-17-17, 07:34 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,559 Times in 13,428 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

There are many more types of stimulants out there to try. I think trying to find someone to diagnose you or at least evaluate you properly is a good idea.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 07-17-17, 07:35 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,559 Times in 13,428 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Also meant to add...if you feel like a zombie you may have had too high of a dose.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
CasioCurious (07-18-17)
Old 07-17-17, 11:14 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all

Agreed with all the regular posters above. There are many circumstances, tendencies, and medical issues that are great at magnifying our ADHD stuff, and simply addressing one or two won't reduce symptoms to a manageable level in lots of us. Several of the things you mentioned were good things to help out, and I wouldn't give up anything that had a positive effect on you. No one thing will ever "cure" ADHD, but in your case it seems as if Adderall in the correct dosage might be the key missing ingredient.

I wish you well in your search for answers.

Last edited by DJ Bill; 07-17-17 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: ADD missing an H
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Bill For This Useful Post:
CasioCurious (07-18-17)
Old 07-17-17, 05:16 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,821 Times in 660 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I have been skeptical for a long while too, even after getting a proper diagnosis. It's only recently that I started getting less skeptical. I still think it's weird to diagnose someone based on behavior and history, and I think the name "attention deficit disorder" is wrong, I do think that it is a real set of traits that people like us have and I think it's something that does make it extra challenging to function in our modern society, especially if not treated right (though perhaps it can have benefits too, but that's another discussion that we frequently have).

Anyways, I think it's a good idea to get a proper diagnosis. Truth is power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
CasioCurious (07-18-17)