ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 07-21-18, 09:40 PM
Jr Member

Welds363 is on a distinguished road
Re: Over medicating? Or do I really need this much?

Inpromptu_DTour, I appreciate the insight, when the doc prescribed the Adderall we just cross referenced the Focalin strength and came up with 10mg/3x daily as needed. After taking it, I just didn't care for it at all. At this point I think I'm just going to go back to the Focalin and just try and use it when I need to break over the hump. Just to remind everyone, I'm not a hyper person, with the exception of in my head I guess, but I have found that when im presented with a task I hate rather than procrastinate and get bored enough with it to fall asleep the Focalin kinda comes to the rescue and motivates me to push through.

Being classified as innattentive, I would like to ask you guys if something like Strattera would have any benefit? I feel as though the stimulation I get from Focalin helps a bunch, I feel Strattera could be safer, but being a non-stimulant would there be any benefit?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Welds363 For This Useful Post:
Impromptu_DTour (07-21-18), namazu (07-21-18)
Old 07-21-18, 09:53 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,698 Times in 10,413 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Strattera could potentially be helpful, but I'm not sure it's any "safer" than stimulants, especially if you don't have a history of substance abuse.

In my personal experience, I found that Strattera was (more?) helpful with initiating some tasks (which helped me manage my daily life better), but less good at helping me focus and follow through on more involved tasks than stimulants.

Strattera also raised my blood pressure and I think my anxiety levels more than any of the stimulants I tried.

Your mileage may vary.

For what it's worth, there's not much solid evidence that one medication is better for people with hyperactivity or without hyperactivity -- there just haven't been a lot of rigorous studies. So stimulants remain the first-line medication treatment for anyone with ADHD (even if your major concerns are inattentive).

But individual response varies, so if you're not seeing much benefit from the Focalin and didn't tolerate Adderall well, it might be worth trying something else. Since you see some benefit with the Focalin, it might be worth trying to optimize the dose there or trying another methylphenidate-family medication first before jumping over to Strattera. Worth discussing with your doctor.

Best wishes!
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Impromptu_DTour (07-21-18)
Old 07-21-18, 11:06 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,827 Times in 825 Posts
Impromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welds363 View Post
Inpromptu_DTour, I appreciate the insight, when the doc prescribed the Adderall we just cross referenced the Focalin strength and came up with 10mg/3x daily as needed. After taking it, I just didn't care for it at all. At this point I think I'm just going to go back to the Focalin and just try and use it when I need to break over the hump. Just to remind everyone, I'm not a hyper person, with the exception of in my head I guess, but I have found that when im presented with a task I hate rather than procrastinate and get bored enough with it to fall asleep the Focalin kinda comes to the rescue and motivates me to push through.

Being classified as innattentive, I would like to ask you guys if something like Strattera would have any benefit? I feel as though the stimulation I get from Focalin helps a bunch, I feel Strattera could be safer, but being a non-stimulant would there be any benefit?
I myself (although my profile is a lie.. i think) have been ADHD-pI aswell. Its been really frustrating because many see it as the lazy of the adhds.. the "dreamer". For myself it has almost always manifested as like.. few "external" symptoms... leaving a majority of my symptoms internal. The internal um.. awarenesses have more often than not, been very much hyper.. inside; "daydreaming", difficulty with thought stopping, terrible focus and concentration.. crippilingly lack of useful hyperfocus.. etc. But outside its a crushing energy struggle.. like when presented with a task.. man its so much easier to take a nap and let the hampster wheel just do its thing. I often wish i could trade in my ADHD type for another.

The trouble that i have experienced with finding the right treatment solution, has led me to understand that while stims are the gold standard.. because on a generalized platform, they work.. that doesnt mean that they work for everyone, or that everyone is comfortable with the "feeling" of being on them until they get used to them.

I respond very well to the extended/instant combo.. and as a child when on Strattera, i didnt respond well to it at all. But. Thats just the point that im trying to express. Straterra might be a very good solution for you - it is for many. Bottom line im trying to make is, not everyone responds the same way (for a wide variety of reasons).. while stims are a gold standard globally, they arent necissarilly a gold standard on a case by case scenario. Finding the right solution often is trial and error, which starts with stims. Can non-stim methods be useful? Absolutely! Dont feel restricted to taking an upper. Many ADDrs respond well to a variety of strategies.. stim or not. Medication or not. Many ADDrs choose not to be on meds at all, opting for diet, exercise and vitamins, and focusing on well-being and coping strategies; more of a preventative approach based on lifestyle.

One thought, ive mentioned in prior posts here. You mentioned again that you're not a hyper person, except on the inside. You might have a look at Welbutrin. A couple of the specific things it addresses is.. thought stopping and obsessive/compulsive thinking.

The only right way to treat ADHD, is the way that works productively for you based on your specific situation. And that solution might change in the future, or not, depending on how you adjust to a new life situation. If that happens, dont let it frustrate you.

One thing about non-stimulant variants.. there might be a bit of a bittersweet honeymoon period that you will be encouraged to endure. Many of these types of meds (such as strattera... others in this thread correct me if im wrong), have anywhere between a 2, to what.. 6 week period for the body to adjust to working with it? But that doesnt mean you wont experience the benefits before hand. You likely will not have very much problem with it, but its different than adderall and ritalin, in that it requires a period of time to like.. "fully set". Like, you wont be expected to experience the full benefits of the medication and the dose, until you're body has adjusted to having it on a regular basis for a period of time.

Also, if it helps.. robust studies have shown that individuals (with ADHD) who are treated with ADHD medication, typically have a lower occurance of Substance Abuse Disorder. Its backwards.. i know.. but so is ADHD.

All the best,

iDTour

Last edited by Impromptu_DTour; 07-21-18 at 11:30 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Impromptu_DTour For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-21-18)
Sponsored Links