ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-17, 12:18 AM
Contributor

Bouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to all
Success Stories - Let's hear them!

I want to take a different tack today, and instead of venting about my problems and bemoaning my deficiencies, I want to celebrate success and achievement despite all odds. Hopefully, this can serve as an inspiration to others struggling with ADHD.

It goes something like this:

Despite my memory and attention deficits, I was able to get through college and complete a Master's program.

Despite having well over 25 jobs in my life, I have been able to maintain employment for longer periods of time in challenging and demanding work environments.

Despite my difficulties with social interactions, I was able to confront my shortcomings and learn to work well with others, and increase my social network.

Despite my past addictions, I was able to reach out for help and overcome them with the assistance of therapy and a social support network.

Despite my impulsivity and poor planning, I was able to finally move out of my parents' home and become self-sufficient, get married and help create a beautiful daughter.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bouncingoffwall For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (04-06-17), Little Missy (04-06-17), Traveler5 (04-06-17)
Old 04-06-17, 04:39 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,053 Times in 14,232 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Success Stories - Let's hear them!

I think the parameters of success are subjective, at least in my case they are. I have had a lot of jobs but when my middle daughter was 2 I had to stop working at a really great company doing customer service for insurance claims due to the bipolar and adhd being off the hook. There were only so many ways an employer could empathize with me, and accept the calling out, arriving late and sick kids. I was no longer able to maintain a job and it all hit me like a slap in the face. I quit that last job, applied for disability and became a stay at home mom.
Stay at home mom is also a misnomer. It would seem like the ideal but its actually as hard as working but in a different way. About 6 years ago I decided I wanted to try beauty school. The drinking and mental illness cut into that and I was dropped from the program.

I got sober four years ago and now I am not the same person I was.
So my successes:
I do have a BA in English Lit but never used it.
I have been able to be a good-ish mom and care for my kids when they are sick or bring stuff to them when they forget stuff.
I have access to the right meds for that.
I was able to realize that beauty school wasnt really what I wanted to do anyway and have realized that being dropped was a blessing.
I am learning to forgive myself and avoid self loathing and shame when people find out I stay at home, and that I left such a good job.
I am learning to place value on being home with the kids and not feeling less than-but its a work in progress.
I got sober- the hardest thing I had to do. I detoxed(foolishly) at home,and didnt have seizures-even when any other person would have.
I do the 12 step thing which isnt for everyone but it has allowed me to help other alcoholics.
I work at helping women in the drug-court prison system.
I have three kids, 21,17 and 13. They all seem to have recovered from their mom's chaos some-at least they are pretty well adjusted,all things considered.
I am able to contribute here, which I guess isnt much, but it must help someone, somewhere right?
Thats about all I can think of for now.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Bouncingoffwall (04-06-17), Fuzzy12 (04-06-17), icantbelive93 (04-06-17), Little Missy (04-06-17), stef (04-06-17), Traveler5 (04-06-17), WheresMyMind (04-16-17)
Old 04-16-17, 04:23 AM
Contributor

WheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to all
Re: Success Stories - Let's hear them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

...amazing stuff deleted for brevity....
I used to respect you.

Now I am overwhelmed at your awesomeness.

You must be the most accomplished babe on the forum!
Sponsored Links