ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 04-13-19, 01:23 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,890 Times in 7,651 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: At what age do kids grasp the concept of attention ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I am curious as to why you feel you need to make a 4 year old pay better attention?
I don’t think they are trying to make a 4 year old pay better attention. They are questioning at what age an ADHD child has a theory of mind and self. At what age can they grasp ADHD and their condition, I think is the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide
I mean at what age he can grasp the idea that his mental states are more or less persistent/stable ? The concept of "rushing thoughts", "mental fog" ? where is the threshold of the ability to this adhd-specific introspection ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (04-13-19), userguide (04-15-19)
Old 04-13-19, 03:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,650 Times in 14,100 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
That's why I am thinking of a trick, a play that could make the child notice or realize he is in a different cognitive state and so we can explain it building on that xperience.

They say learning chess helps ppl apply their intellect more efficiently - at least that's what the players say - so let's think of a simplified chess easy enough for kids (or dogs ) to enjoy and realize often gratiication. Would that help ?

I wonder if biofeedback works this way - I've read it's effective in improing on some symptoms, but don't know whether it is due to a mechanistic changes (like when you just grow a bigger muscle without any mental input),

or due to the not isolated factor of the attention given to the child (that was the assumption in one study I have read),

or maybe - and that's what I hope for - the fact that the kid gains an extra dimension in his conscious self-reflection and is capable of applying that again in future.
Like Sarah asked. Why do you want to make the child aware of his lack of ability to focus? If the aim is to get him to pay more attention then just self awareness won't help much I think. We all know that our ability to focus sucks and we all know that this knowledge doesn't make us focus better. Do correct me if this is wrong for anyone with adhd.

If the aim is to focus then I think the most useful way to get him to focus is to change his environment ie create an environment where it is easier to focus or change the thing you want him to focus on to make it more interesting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-13-19), userguide (04-15-19)
Old 04-13-19, 03:52 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
I donít think they are trying to make a 4 year old pay better attention. They are questioning at what age an ADHD child has a theory of mind and self. At what age can they grasp ADHD and their condition, I think is the question.
Oh sorry. I thought this was a practical question about an actual boy. As always I didn't check which board it's in..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (04-13-19), userguide (04-15-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-19, 08:17 AM
Contributor

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
I donít think they are trying to make a 4 year old pay better attention. They are questioning at what age an ADHD child has a theory of mind and self. At what age can they grasp ADHD and their condition, I think is the question.
Thanks Greyhound, that is exctly what I am trying to figure out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Like Sarah asked. Why do you want to make the child aware of his lack of ability to focus? If the aim is to get him to pay more attention then just self awareness won't help much I think. We all know that our ability to focus sucks and we all know that this knowledge doesn't make us focus better. Do correct me if this is wrong for anyone with adhd.
If your being aware of your adhd doesn't help, would you like to move back in time to when you didn't realize how your mind operated ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Oh sorry. I thought this was a practical question about an actual boy. As always I didn't check which board it's in..
The question is theoretical, but I have a vey practical idea of how to apply it
Old 04-16-19, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
Thanks Greyhound, that is exctly what I am trying to figure out

If your being aware of your adhd doesn't help, would you like to move back in time to when you didn't realize how your mind operated ?

The question is theoretical, but I have a vey practical idea of how to apply it
Yes, because it could have helped me to apply more useful strategies (like changing my environment) and also, maybe my self esteem wouldn't have taken so many hits