ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Learning Disabilities (LD)
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-18, 07:26 AM

madmax988 is on a distinguished road
sLD

*long,strong rant*

anyone else experienced the ravaging effects of learning disabilities other that adhd?

I always knew I had issues with grasping concepts (mathematics, particularly algebra,geometry)and exactly retaining parts learned for term end exams. To the point that it was rare for me to fully grasp concepts related to science (physics and chemistry) and hours of rote learning/ study lead nowhere. I'd understand some concepts on a good day and forget them just as quickly. Couldn't articulate the intricacies of these concepts as required for exams. Needless to say I was just lucky to scrape through with passing grades during elementary.

long story short,high school and college was nothing short of hell and I found myself failing tests much more than being able to atleast score passing grades. There was no support system in place and remedial measures only led to ego clashes between parents and so called teachers(not kidding) More like a victim blame game.The parents always knew there was a problem but had no workable solution apart from serious amounts of character blaming(blaming me for creating unnecessary problems and deliberately not studying, "enough" IQ,looking for excuses etc) I was a complete contrast to them since they were all high achievers and couldn't comprehend or understand what its like to have LD.

Ended up dropping out of 3 colleges which meant 3 different courses reason being increasing amounts of backlog. The colleges never allowed continuing semester terms without clearing previous backlogs, and remedial classes never helped to look into core issues.It was just about the fastest ways to clear backlogs(I screwed that up as well,needed much more time and effort to complete the given task, however shoddy and at the end unacceptable to them) I simply wasn't cut out for the education system available in my place. I believe I passed high school solely due to some pity thrown by the exam invigilators.

I'd been diagnosed with a wonderful concoction of ADHD and sLD but it came out too late. I was already kicked out of schools and on my own for not fitting into their system. I couldn't get through even entry level jobs however menial, due to stiff competition and lack of degree(unemployed for 7 long years apart from some intern stints here and there)
Honestly, Im almost convinced its impossible to graduate considering the insurmountable efforts required to barely even pass courses;forget good grades. Calling me dumb is an understatement if you will.

Presently I run a successful startup today but there's always anxiety at the back of my mind about the risk of nothing to fall back on to incase days turn for the worse. Its always a hit and miss game but i've been lucky on this so far. There is some respite in the presence of a light,however small at the end of the tunnel.
Old 03-24-18, 03:26 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,970 Times in 14,780 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sLD

I sooooo get this. I firmly believe that I suffered with dyscalcula(sp?). I have always struggled with higher level math. The 4 basics I have down pat but any sort of abstract math like algebra or geometry and I did awful. They didnt know then what they know now. I think better intervention could have really helped me. I love science but couldnt take any of the interesting ones because I couldnt get the math behind it.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
madmax988 (04-08-18)
Old 04-08-18, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I sooooo get this. I firmly believe that I suffered with dyscalcula(sp?). I have always struggled with higher level math. The 4 basics I have down pat but any sort of abstract math like algebra or geometry and I did awful. They didnt know then what they know now. I think better intervention could have really helped me. I love science but couldnt take any of the interesting ones because I couldnt get the math behind it.
and its damn frustrating isn't is? Even I was good with the basics, the foundation level algebra, for eg. was never a problem. Infact it was actually fun. But the level-up was when things started getting out of hand. You'd had to be quick to catch up or else you're left so far behind the syllabus that things would go beyond the scope of redemption. My major struggling areas were unfortunately vast. (History,geography,almost all science branches;a few non english languages,computer programming etc) Despite my IQ being above average.But the IQ thing was a bone of contention since that parameter was judged to be the absolute credible proof.

But honestly i think i'll just be wasting my time and energy pursuing a degree of any sort even through an open uni where attendance is not mandatory. I have zilch passion left and it ends up being a one way street to depression.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-18, 05:57 PM

warmbrew_991 is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed with dyscalculia when I was a child. I was 9 years old and had the maths abilities of a 5 year old, and I was in the 91st percentile according to my assessment. I also was scored very low in working memory assessments. I have trouble grasping concepts too, especially higher level algebra, and even relatively simple things like reading clocks although I'm much improved now and above average for most things. Luckily at the same time I was way ahead of my age for reading so it wasn't completely bad, although somehow from reading my school reports the teachers all reported me as a 'good pupil' and 'hard worker' when I read over my old reports before I was diagnosed which shows how stupid they were to not even notice. I can personally remember not paying attention in any math lessons, pretty sure we just weren't assessed, I was quiet, and I did well in other areas so they didn't care until my parents forced them to inquire further.

Luckily, I had a really great teacher years 6-8 who helped realise my potential and taught the class, as well as coming to help me personally. I ended up getting a B at GCSE somehow, which definitely makes me question the initial diagnosis, and whether it was simply ADHD and not concentrating because I didn't study at all for the exam and expected to fail it but somehow I did above average...

I can definitely sympathise with the lack of support system. I'm very lucky my parents are very attentive and managed to pick up that something was up with me (aka not being able to count or read a clock aged 9) and made the teachers do something. Without it I have no idea where I'd be as the math skills were very useful in getting into uni etc.
Old 04-09-18, 06:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,555 Times in 856 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I have Dyscalculia which I discovered when I got tested for ADHD. It's virtually unknown in the US. It doesn't surprise me that warmbrew 991 was diagnosed young given that she is from the UK. The UK is light years of the US in every possible area dealing with Dyscalulia.

madmax988- stay at your start up and invest well so you will have money no matter what happens. I would not go back for a degree as you know it will lead to depression and everything may fall apart then.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
madmax988 (05-01-18)
Old 04-09-18, 10:23 PM

warmbrew_991 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
I have Dyscalculia which I discovered when I got tested for ADHD. It's virtually unknown in the US. It doesn't surprise me that warmbrew 991 was diagnosed young given that she is from the UK. The UK is light years of the US in every possible area dealing with Dyscalulia.

madmax988- stay at your start up and invest well so you will have money no matter what happens. I would not go back for a degree as you know it will lead to depression and everything may fall apart then.
Even though we're ahead it still isn't the best. The action plan created didn't really help me much, it was mainly in middle school after I was diagnosed where I noticed a difference, because of my maths teacher. A lot of people haven't even heard of it still.
Old 04-10-18, 07:27 PM

CasioCurious will become famous soon enough

For me, I can't process information. For example, I know the language people are using, but I just can't decide it fast enough. It worse when I keep reading a long sentence and I really don't understand it's meaning.
I understand all the words that are being used, but when they are all structured together-- I get lost.
Sometimes, when people give me simple instructions that a 7 year old could understand, I nod my head and go somewhere and talk to myself and figure what the hell they just said.
Old 04-11-18, 10:04 AM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

I've been very be diagnosed with dyscalculia, but I cam identify with most of what you're saying. Good with the lower level stuff, yet I've tried to take college algebra three times now and still can't even finish the class let alone pass it.

I've long suspected I have some form of dyslexia, I loved to read growing up but I always had a hard time with anything I wasn't deeply interested in reading. i struggled through all of it, but books that got my attention kept me engaged enough to push through the issues to where most teachers thought I was fine.

I have a long standing suspicion that I'm also somewhere on the autism spectrum, but being almost 40 I grew up long before they began to accept the existence of autism so of course that one never got pinned down.
madmax988 (05-01-18)
Old 05-01-18, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasioCurious View Post
For me, I can't process information. For example, I know the language people are using, but I just can't decide it fast enough. It worse when I keep reading a long sentence and I really don't understand it's meaning.
I understand all the words that are being used, but when they are all structured together-- I get lost.
Sometimes, when people give me simple instructions that a 7 year old could understand, I nod my head and go somewhere and talk to myself and figure what the hell they just said.
cant agree more with the 'fast enough' bit. I process like 80% of what I perceive specially while reading but then the recollection is a big problem.Its like im super confident of whatever i learnt and go like 'its not possible to forget' but the next day its almost amnesia.Its difficult to even articulate and put together the memory of what i read earlier unless I get a strong reference(sometimes, that doesnt help either)
I can read something extremely well to the point of being the fastest reader but I wont understand crap of what i just read. I'll hyperfocus on reading correctly but my mind is already in some la la land
Old 05-01-18, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky1 View Post
I've been very be diagnosed with dyscalculia, but I cam identify with most of what you're saying. Good with the lower level stuff, yet I've tried to take college algebra three times now and still can't even finish the class let alone pass it.

I've long suspected I have some form of dyslexia, I loved to read growing up but I always had a hard time with anything I wasn't deeply interested in reading. i struggled through all of it, but books that got my attention kept me engaged enough to push through the issues to where most teachers thought I was fine.
yeah it seems our brains work more efficiently with subjects that interest us.as for the others, there's a struggle to assimilate and 'digest' the information and by the time we're close enough to grasp we're already tired and very depressed. Atleast in my case this was a constant battle. But then going through some interesting story book with maybe pop art,it becomes a different world altogether, I can process,assimilate anything much faster.
No clue how autism works or its impairments though, since i wasn't diagnosed nor know anyone who is.
Old 05-01-18, 04:32 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,910 Times in 13,071 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I could understand basic algebra, if I had a good teacher, and scrape by on the tests.
geometry had beautiful words ("parallelogram ", how lovely!) and you could visualze it it so I was ok with that, and actually got an A, so i was put into an advanced algebra class the following year, and I was utterly lost.

for chemistry I "memorized how it was supposed to look' and passed cause the teacher was snarky and kept telling everyone, to learn the definitions and the stuff at the end of the chapters in the textbook, ( which i could do) and put that in the midterms without prior warning.

i'm sure i have dyscalcula, i mix up dates and inverse numbers.
i often do that thing of listening to simple instructions, saying "ok!" and then going back and figuring out what the hell did they just say, and writing it down.
Old 05-02-18, 12:05 PM

Budkeiser is on a distinguished road

I have felt I have always struggled with mathematics. My brother and father prided on themselves of being a math wiz and engineers. They had no difficulty with trig and basic algebra. I however had never passed algebra in high school. I also never took physics, biology, chemistry, or the SAT/ACT. I was brought up that school time was the only time to do school work. If you didn’t understand the work, it was because you didn’t listen to the teacher. If you had homework, it was because you didn’t finish your work in time. If you worked on school work after school you were taking up time from something else like chores or employment.

When I became a single parent, I worked 60+ hours a week and I knew that was not sustainable. I sold my house, quit my job and moved to go to school. I wasn't even aware that you had to wait for an acceptance letter… oops. It was the closest I could be to a stay home parent. I started my college career with two daughters 4 & 6, a new location, no job and no friends. After 4 years, two hours of sleep a night (no joke, there was a news story about it) and almost exactly 20 years after graduating high school, I earned my degree in Economics.

It wasn’t without academic challenges. I took an accelerated physics class in the summer and had to learn quantum mechanics in a few hours for a mid-term exam an hour later. I had to drive 1,000 miles to take the kids to see their mother and had to take the exam early. – I not only had to finally pass algebra, I had to take calculus and statistics. The only saving grace was that we were not allowed to use calculators in calculus (we didn’t even have calculators in high school). Most of the other students although could rock the graphing calculator, they relied too heavily on it and the field leveled out a bit going "old school". – I passed chemistry (but still don’t understand how to do the chemistry math thing) by studying with a cute coed more than half my age (I dated her on and off for a few years). – My senior year in college I just needed credits and one class I took was a math class music majors had to take for their math requirement. It was actually fun but the professor told me he wanted to fail me for using logarithms on the final project because it wasn’t part of the class. I explained that the tools I used wasn’t the important aspect of the project, the final results were done by keeping things simple (as taught in class). – I had to take some history classes and made the mistake that (3) three classes fell into one semester. I had a minimum of 450 pages to read a week.

Before college I read maybe one book and struggled with math. Now I read at least a 1,000 pages a month for fun and help people obtain their GED or assist with basic aptitude tests for employment once in a while. I still struggle, but I don’t fear the topics as I had done in the past. I just take my time and work through my hurdles.