ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-09, 05:47 PM
Jr Member

TheMarvelousH is on a distinguished road
Talking ADHD in a nut shell.

A lot of people are diagnosed as having adhd, but not everyone is really familiar with what ADHD actually is. I'm gonna describe it now.

ADHD is a brainwave disorder. We have four brainwaves that we use regularly, 2 of which we only use while asleep. The other two, for the sake of this explanation, are classified as Brainwaves Alpha and Beta.

Alpha wave is what you're doing right now; you're reading this, focused, attentive and are comprehending what you're reading. We are in alpha when we are focused.

Beta wave is when we do what I like to call "mouth breathing." Most people's eyes elevate about 30 degrees higher, their mouth drops a bit and they stare off into space. This is usually when you "day dream," or are distant from your current surroundings.

Most people have the ability to choose when they are in alpha and beta. You can slip into beta at work sometimes while doing reports or checking email, but if your boss comes walking around the corner your brain snaps back into alpha straight away.

ADHD and ADD sufferers cannot control when we slip into beta!!! This is why you can't pay attention to lectures, staff meetings, boring conversations, or why you get accused of being def every time you go to a busy bar! Because you slip into beta and have "pop up adds," or thoughts that come in and out at their own discretion as day dreams sometimes do for people who aren't adhd.

Why do we move? Because moving, ladies and gents, keeps us in alpha all the time. Here's an example:

You give a child with adhd an oral examination for intelligence testing. They fail miserably, because they had to sit still the entire time.

Now. Give that same child the same exact test, but allow him to pretend like he's cutting down a tree before every answer he gives you, and he passed with flying colors! How can this be? As long as you let him pretend to cut down a freaking forest, he can pass! This is because he has to move his body to stimulate alpha wave and pay attention!

If you have ever asked yourself, "why the HECK would you give speed to a person who can't stop MOVING already!?" The answer is because speed stimulates our beta-wave loving brains into alpha all the time, by speeding up our brains to normal thinking patterns. This is why stimulants like rittalin, adderall and concerta work wonders for us adhd kids, but are a nightmare to everyone else. Because we actually need this stuff to think at normal speeds, where we would otherwise have to do jumping jacks or run marathons to think those same thoughts as clearly.

So there it is, in a nutshell. ADHD for dummies, or the non-phd folk, or whatever you wanna call it.

Pass this info on! People would do good to know about it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheMarvelousH For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (12-16-09), JollyBadger (12-19-09), leapofaith (12-16-09)
Old 12-16-09, 07:34 PM
Contributor

leapofaith is just really niceleapofaith is just really niceleapofaith is just really niceleapofaith is just really nice
Re: ADHD in a nut shell.

Great way to explain in laymen's terms. I can see this concept working well in describing ADD to NT people.
The Following User Says Thank You to leapofaith For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (12-16-09)
Old 12-16-09, 07:45 PM
Jr Member

saharaprincess will become famous soon enough

Okay so I know all this but what happens when you take a stimulant and you're still distracted and have gaps in memory? I started Concerta XR 18 mg. and I still feel like a scatter brain. Does it mean I need a higher dose? My friend says "It's not magic!" But I know it's a stimulant, not an SSRI, it works immediately. I lost 3 lbs. the first week, I feel more calm and I noticed in a meeting yesterday that for the first time in my life I wasn't shaking my foot or moving my leg back and forth. I only noticed because the girl next to me kept moving and I was the one who was annoyed; strange irony. I am a clinical therapist in a psych. office and I dx. and treat ppl every day, so I know what's up with ADD but I want to hear from ppl who have taken Concerta or another stimulant and had better luck with a higher dose. Please tell me what you think!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-09, 08:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,934 Times in 7,992 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe not call the medication 'speed'. Speed is associated with illicit drug use and we have groups already using the 'speed' thing to try and discredit ADHD completely.

Other than that great post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
leapofaith (12-16-09), livinginchaos (12-16-09)
Old 12-16-09, 10:38 PM

Alle has a spectacular aura aboutAlle has a spectacular aura about

Actually it's the other way around. Beta brainwaves are the ones at play when we are wide awake, full of focus and concentration etc. Alpha waves are when we are in a more contemplative, problem solving state. And Theta waves are when we are in a day dreaming or meditative state, it is a more relaxed zoned out state that is in between sleeping and waking.

I don't think that people have as much control over their states as we think they do. They just naturally have more Beta brainwaves going to begin with and people with ADHD have a deficiency of beta brainwaves and an over-abundance of alpha and theta. That is why we are thinking ALL the time, our minds always going, and rarely focused on the Now, on the moment and senses etc. Perhaps that is why we crave sensual stimulation and mental stimulation, to bring us into focus on the moment and increase the frequency of our brainwaves. However, "NT" people are not fully in control either. They are not polar opposites of us. Why do you think coffee, soda, energy drinks, sugar, and other stimulants are SO popular?
Old 12-17-09, 12:47 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

dude102 has a spectacular aura aboutdude102 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarvelousH View Post
Now. Give that same child the same exact test, but allow him to pretend like he's cutting down a tree before every answer he gives you, and he passed with flying colors! How can this be? As long as you let him pretend to cut down a freaking forest, he can pass! This is because he has to move his body to stimulate alpha wave and pay attention!

I agree with this to a certain extent. I always have to fidget when i'm doing boring tasks to keep me interested... but only to a certain extent. I wouldn't say pass with flying colors because it really depends... I never passed anything with flying colors no matter how much I moved/fidgeted.
Old 12-17-09, 02:03 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

dude102 has a spectacular aura aboutdude102 has a spectacular aura about

Also it got me thinking...

Are in ADD-I people always stuck in Theta, while regular ADD people are stuck in Beta? I notice that one of my friends that has ADD concentrates well but gets distracted by random things he notices... while I seem to be zoning out all the time and not notice anything...
Old 12-17-09, 04:02 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

There is also a difference in dopamine in the frontal lobes so there are a lot of folks who seem to think ADD is due to this difference in neurotransmitter distribution

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook