ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 09-21-10, 09:49 AM

Eventer is on a distinguished road
Cannot find dependable Psychiatrist/DR and out of meds!!!

Please bear with me as I am sure this topic has been addressed before on this forum but I am new here. This thread is partly a vent as well as a plea for suggestions and advice.

I am a 28yr old woman in a sales career, happily married, athletic, graduated from college with a degree in Psychology and a overall, a healthy, functioning person. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. My point in stating this is that I am so very frustrated with either being discounted by Dr's when I bring up my ADD and/or being made to feel like I an just a loser druggie looking to score some drugs. Seriously, I have plenty of better things to do than chase doctors down, reveal personal and potentially embarrassing qualitities about myself, as well as pay out the nose for simply the honor of being in their presence, often without any real help! Yes, that is such a easy way!

Here is some background. I was diagnosised with ADD my junior year in college. Very nice doctor who unfortunatly, I don't have any of his records or remember his name. He started me on low doses and then got me to the consistend dose of 30mg Adderrall 2X daily. He also put me on a mild dose of Lexapro for depression/general anxiety. Helped tremendously and I finally felt "normal". Not high or weird, just normal, focused and I could slow down and handle things step by step.

After further research on my own, I believe I have the ADD Type 1-Inattentive (forgive me if I did not state the title correctly).I have never been impusilve per say, but am uncomfortable sitting still , fidget, chew my lip (since I was a small child) and cannot pay attention for extended periods of time. I always did well in grade school, and high school. I did average in college but really struggled with the tasks/homework/classes, seeming overwhelming. I couldn't break it down so I could manage it. I could never just "buckle down" and study for 10 hrs. Even now, I have to do something, go aways from it, come back, go away.... but at least I understand what I am doing. However, without the adderall, I don't get anything done.I did well in grade school b/c I am a perfectionist and wanted to be a "good girl". But, I can remember being reduced to tears not understanding why I couldn't just seem to operate like everyone else.

Anyways,I believe I am rambling. After college, I took a job in the field I am passionate about, an athletic endeavor. Basically, I was a professional athlete. I went off the meds b/c I didn't need them to focus on what I was doing and there as very little "paperwork" or external factors that needed focusing on. Fast forward 3yrs where I then take an normal office job as a sales rep. Immediatly began struggling again. Not that my job was or is boring, I just couldn't focus, made silly mistakes constantly, no matter how careful I thought I was being. Couldn't remember normal things that everyone else could. Wasn't getting my work done and was feeling depressed again too.

Went to my GP who is a wonderful guy but not experienced at all with ADD or depression. He understood but was hesistant to prescribe anything due to his lack of knowledge in the area. So, I sought out a dr and therapist. They were good but ungodly expensive and over an hour away from me. They both wanted to meet once a month for an hours (2 hr sessions) and I had to allow 2 hours travel. I could not swing that with work. With them I tried Strattera and Effexor without any good results. They wanted to try that before going back to the adderrall.

I had to leave them to the $$ and time constraints. Found a local health facililty here that caters to the county (state run). I have been using them for about a year. But, again ,I pay an astronomical amount of $$ to walk in 2X a month to my "therapist" who basically asks how I am and then talks about current events and to see a "dr" once a month since I am on controlled substances (Adderall XR, ritalin and Wellbutrin).I use the term Dr. loosely b/c they rotate and you never know who you will have. The dr's don't read your file so every time you get a new one you have to go through the whole life history thing again and put up with the same scrutiny. I could even deal with this but now they are canceling my appts without rescheduling. The main point of the dr visits is to get a prescription for the controlled meds so I don't go cold turkey and they don't care.

Here is just one instance: I got married several months ago and planned my appt to coincide right before I left out of the country on my honeymoon for 2 weeks so I would have all my meds. I was leaving on a Wed with an appt on Tuesday and the dr office left me a message Monday night saying my appt had been canceled, to please call back to reschedule! I had explained the importance of this appt! Needless to say, I couldnt' get everything before my honeymoon but I made it by stretching everything out so I didn't go cold turkey. Gotback, called them (this was the beginning of August) and they said the Dr couldn't see me until November! This was after the recepetionist pulled my chart and said "oh, you must be out of meds by now right?"!! You think?!

I have compalined to my "therapist" who was empathetic but I doubt much will change. So, I tried to go to the dr's care and family care facilities close to were I work but even if you make an appt, the wait is several hours. So, I finally was able to get an appt for Oct 4 at the family health center to explain my situation. I have no idea if they will do anything or if it will be an even worse situation. I know that I am out of meds and not feeling good.

It is completley irresponsible for Dr's to prescribe meds that you need their approval for then to dissapear on you when you need that approval! I don't have the time away from work to do trial and error all over the state for a good dr.

I just want an open minded psychiatrist who will listen to me. At this point, I know what I need and why. If he would just listen, approve my meds and actually give a damn, I would probably fall over.

Thank you for listening, sorry this is so long. I am at the end of my rope and worried about becoming literally sick from suddenly going off meds as well as mentally falling apart.

I am located near Columbia SC if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks again for your time.
Old 09-21-10, 10:30 AM

Eventer is on a distinguished road
Re: Cannot find dependable Psychiatrist/DR and out of meds!!!

One final note...this issues I have had do appear to have a genetic link. My aunt was severaly schizophrenic and my father is undiagnosed but completely ADD (my mother was in counseling for 30 yrs and called it years ago) as well as as suffer mood disorders due to PTSD.