ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-11, 10:25 PM
Contributor

sybil will become famous soon enough
Depression caused by intolerable boredom

I wish I heard more about boredom on this forum. It is my major issue. I am chronically bored. It's not that I can never find things to do. But sometimes, everything seems so boring I feel like crying, literally! Growing up I always escaped into fantasy worlds. I wasn't as bored as a kid as I am now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sybil For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (11-05-11), buddy (11-06-11), Spacemaster (11-06-11)
Old 11-05-11, 10:42 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,261 Times in 8,226 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Depression caused by intolerable boredom

When I'm bored and I don't do something about it, I'll get depressed. I think that's why my coach told me "you don't ever want to rest your brain."

~Paulo Coelho
Old 11-06-11, 12:13 AM

AniDragon is on a distinguished road

OMG, yes! All the time! And I just think to myself "I need to find something to do or I'm going to go crazy!" But then nothing seems even remotely interesting enough to keep my interests. And when the day is over, I'm angry at myself for not getting anything done. Because of course, when I go to bed is when I realize things like "I should have done the dishes! Doesn't my laundry need to be done? God, my carpet is full of cat hair, I need to vaccume!, etc.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AniDragon For This Useful Post:
Marzipan (11-06-11), pechemignonne (11-06-11), Rebelyell (11-06-11), Spacemaster (11-06-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-11, 12:16 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

^^ This.

If I am occupied with escaping into fantasy, books or movies or whatever, then I have to deal with the guilt about all the things I "should" have been doing instead. Which is also depressing...

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
LynneC (11-06-11)
Old 11-06-11, 12:37 AM
Contributor

sybil will become famous soon enough

I can relate. Houswork seems boring so I end up trying to escape into fantasy stuff like games, movies, etc. I do feel disappointed in myself if I don't do stuff that should be done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sybil For This Useful Post:
Marzipan (11-06-11), pechemignonne (11-06-11)
Old 11-06-11, 01:00 AM

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

boredom can make me downright destructive.

and since we're on the subject of boredom, why do idiots feel the need to give you a boring task when you mention being bored??? I said I was bored, not, I want to do your lame job for you!
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
LynneC (11-06-11), Spacemaster (11-06-11)
Old 11-06-11, 04:10 AM

existentialblu is a jewel in the roughexistentialblu is a jewel in the roughexistentialblu is a jewel in the rough

I've been either out of work or on light duty lately and have been dealing with a nasty cloud of nastiness. Yeah, it's boredom. I hear people talking about how much they want to not work and various plans to be lazy, but I work as I do because I like it and without having places that I'm obligated to be, I never do anything. And then I hate myself for it. And then I do nothing. And so on. And the bleakness sets in. The feeling that I will never be intact again (fairly minor injury caused all this), frustration at dealing with the "system", and being unable to do things that reliably make me happy resulted in one of the worst flares of bored depression in a long time.
Old 11-06-11, 11:38 AM
Contributor

ChicharitoFan14 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
boredom can make me downright destructive.

and since we're on the subject of boredom, why do idiots feel the need to give you a boring task when you mention being bored??? I said I was bored, not, I want to do your lame job for you!
I hate when people give me boring tasks when I mention the word bored
I soon refuse to do the task and say it won't cure my boredom
Then I make them do the task themselves haha
The Following User Says Thank You to ChicharitoFan14 For This Useful Post:
BricksAreHeavy (06-22-17)
Old 11-06-11, 11:53 AM

Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,494 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

I learned very early on in my childhood, to never mention to my mother that I was bored. No matter how fidgety or restless, I kept my mouth shut! The second you mention you are bored to a parent, look out! "well, there's dishes to do, fold your clothes, clean your room..."

Now I'm an adult, and sometimes I wish I had my mom around to make me do my chores. Now I just have my easily ignored conscience, telling myself to get up and do my chores. I'd rather pick up a book, watch a movie, arts and crafts, anything to take me away from boring household tasks.

This is my "brick wall" I've hit in adulthood. As a teen, there was always somebody to keep me on task. Now I'm left to my own devices, and am failing. I am getting a bit better, but it's a struggle every day to ignore all the fun stuff calling my name, put on my big girl undies, and go scrub the toilet. grrrr....
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacemaster For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (11-06-11)
Old 11-06-11, 12:16 PM

pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

I can't find my big girl undies for the life of me....

I think they're somewhere in the pile of laundry in my bedroom...

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
LynneC (11-06-11), Rebelyell (11-06-11), Spacemaster (11-06-11)
Old 11-06-11, 12:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

Marzipan has a spectacular aura aboutMarzipan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniDragon View Post
OMG, yes! All the time! And I just think to myself "I need to find something to do or I'm going to go crazy!" But then nothing seems even remotely interesting enough to keep my interests. And when the day is over, I'm angry at myself for not getting anything done. Because of course, when I go to bed is when I realize things like "I should have done the dishes! Doesn't my laundry need to be done? God, my carpet is full of cat hair, I need to vaccume!, etc.
This. Usually I'll forget my responsibilities first thing in the morning, remember them a couple of times throughout the day but ignore them because I don't have the energy to do them, then promptly forget them again, and the only time I feel like I've got the adrenaline to do any of them is when I'm panicking about it as I'm rolling over and over in bed at some god-awful hour of the night.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marzipan For This Useful Post:
pechemignonne (11-06-11)
Old 11-06-11, 01:13 PM

AniDragon is on a distinguished road

I've gotten up at 4 in the morning to clean my room before because of that. >.< Luckily I didn't have to work that day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AniDragon For This Useful Post:
Marzipan (11-06-11), pechemignonne (11-06-11)
Old 11-06-11, 01:53 PM

My bf listed this as the main "weird ADHD" thing I do. It'll be midnight and I'll decide that the kitchen needs to be cleaned, or that I need to bake those cupcakes for the party tomorrow...

Mitch Hedberg

Old 11-06-11, 04:07 PM

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

I'm bored, apathetic, and unmotivated 90% of the time.
I feel regret everyday that I didn't do anything, just sit in front of the computer the whole time.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 11-06-11, 04:30 PM

Saboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to all

I am never bored when I am here at home, there are other factors which trigger the depression.

I have major, because I am always depressed!