ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 05-02-06, 10:28 AM

literati has disabled reputation
Hypothyroid and ADD??? Ladies???

Hi all,

I was "formally" diagnosed with ADD a month-and-a-half ago. Recently my naturopathic doc suggested I needed to get tested for hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid), and my family doc completely agreed with her. They both told me that having hypothyroidism can also make it seem like you have ADD... Has anybody else out there heard about this or had hypothyroidism?

Thanks!!!
Old 05-03-06, 07:22 AM
ADDvanced Member

Princess-of-Chaos is on a distinguished road
I've heard about it, too. Actually, I'll be tested at 11th May....
Apparently, this connection is even stronger for depression, and in premenstrual and winter depression, thyroid hormones seem to be involved, too. Especially in depression it seems to be worth to take some more tests than normal, as the underfunction can be hidden, e.g. only the thyroid-metabolism in the brain can be affected.

Personally, I'll be tested because in addition to ADD and depression, I often have cold hands and feet, I have a rather dry skin, often low energy, rather pale lips, tend to accumulate water (especially face, breasts, legs and above the hips )and my mother has an underfunction, too.

In my case, I do not believe hypothyroism could be the explanation for all of my ADD symptoms, as I have motoric deficits, too.
But maybe it aggravates both depression and ADD....

I'd be happy if this were true, as it seems to be easily treatable and my lethargy and apathy are among the symptoms that annoy me most.
I've read that hypothyroism is the best treatable hormone-related disease.

That's about what I know...

I'd really like to hear from someone who is treated with thyroid hormones...
Old 05-03-06, 11:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,979 Times in 12,123 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
I had my thyroid checked about 6 or 7 years ago, when my peri-menopause symptoms were wrecking my life, and it checked out fine.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-06, 01:29 PM

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by literati
Hi all,

I was "formally" diagnosed with ADD a month-and-a-half ago. Recently my naturopathic doc suggested I needed to get tested for hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid), and my family doc completely agreed with her. They both told me that having hypothyroidism can also make it seem like you have ADD... Has anybody else out there heard about this or had hypothyroidism?

Thanks!!!
yes and I have been tested and am fine
Old 05-03-06, 05:24 PM

beancounter is on a distinguished road
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism many many years ago and have been on meds for it since. Only recently (within the last few months) diagnosed with ADD--what would you like to know ?????
Old 05-03-06, 07:10 PM

Beancounter,

What kind of meds are you taking? Synthetic? Natural? And how much has it improved the hypothyroidism? Thanks!
Old 05-03-06, 07:14 PM

Protoslacker has disabled reputation
Wonder if thyroid problems shape the brain in ways that lead to being gifted with ADD?

Or if hypothyroidism merely mimics ADD? If that's the case, what's it like having a double dose of being easily distracted and dynamic?
Old 05-03-06, 10:19 PM

beancounter is on a distinguished road
literati,

I take synthroid. We got lucky with the dosage as it was the only amount I tried. Was diagnosed by accident in the late 90's. Went to see a doc to join the bandwagon on Fen-Phen. The tests they did before hand came back with a low thyroid. The only symptoms I had were tiredness, coldness and dry skin. I had been like that since I was in the 8th or 9th grade though so I thought it was normal.

The dry skin has gotten better, but generally I am on the cold side and I am ALWAYS tired. I can sleep for 12 hours and still be physically tired. (of course I carry a few extra pounds so I'm sure this is why)

I have annual testing and each test has come back within normal ranges-so the medicine works.

Hope that helps--let me know if you have anymore questions.
Old 05-08-06, 11:27 PM

monkeywilson is on a distinguished road
Here's some links you should check out.

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum. I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (autoimmune thyroid disease with hypothyroidism) as well as Inattentive ADD. Thyroid antibodies are linked to Atypical depression, fatigue, and many symptoms of ADD.

I am currently on 150mcg of Thyroxine (Synthroid in U.S), 20mcg of Tertroxin (Cytomel or T3 in US), 225mg of Efexor XR, as well as 40mg of Dexamphetamine. The Dex has been a Godsend for me.

Last edited by ~boots~; 06-14-06 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: the links are inactive
Old 05-09-06, 11:46 AM

bbduck1 is on a distinguished road
I have all the symptoms of hypothyroidism but my bloodwork always comes back normal. I finally convinced my OBGYN to let me try thyroid meds (synthroid now but also have tried armour) a couple of years ago, and I felt great! At last...a doc who listens to how I FEEL as well as the lab results (after all, how do they determine what's "normal" on those tests and what's not? How do they know what's "normal" for me?). I was just diagnosed with ADHD last week and have started Strattera. The jury's still out on that one....but it does make me wonder how the hypothyroid symptoms and the ADHD are related.....which is the chicken and which is the egg.....or do they coexist and aggravate each other? Hmm...food for thought.
Old 05-09-06, 10:39 PM

Thanked 1,017 Times in 640 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
Is ARMOUR THYROID still Available in the USA?

They stopped making ARMOUR THYROID, i heard. (Or stopped shipping it to Canada?)

My MOTHER is a DISASTER without her ARMOUR THYROID!

NB. ADD/ADHD may be many disorders: low thyroid for some people; sleep apnea for some people; restless legs which screws up sleep for others; environmental contaminants (eg lead) for others, and, maybe an old forgotten head injury, for yet others, etc.

Not everyone who has ADD/ADHD has the "GENE", either.

In non-hypers and "missed" Adults, I think they mostly go by "symptom profile". (eg the Short Term Memory problems, disorganization, etc.) My SO says "it can often be diagnosed by History....eg 'underacheivement'."

The Thyroid is the FURNACE, so not having one's furnace "stoked" with Coal, is gonna put the old Brain Function in "Park".

Menopause also has vasomotor and neurological effects. Did you know that Estrogen has over THREE HUNDRED (yes, 300) functions in the body (including the brain)?

I tend to think, as you mention in your last sentences, that the more "tiring" or dysfunctional conditions that a person has, the more they will exhibit ADHD/ADD or a syndrome that looks JUST like it.

I have heard that Monsanto owns the basic Thyroid test that medical labs use... so I'm suspicious of that company. Not exactly a PARAGON of Ethics, those folks. OMG. (eg GMO/Franken-Foods; the Terminator Seeds, etc.)
*shudder*

Maybe their Test is faulty? I'm not sure how reliable or valid it is; or how closely blood levels correlate to actual the various types of Hypothyroidism.

NB. One trigger for some Hypothyoidism's onset can be women having had children. In those cases, it can be an Immune System thing in the Thyroid Gland.
Old 05-10-06, 11:16 AM
Jr Member

ArtsyAthlete is on a distinguished road
Hypothyroidism & ADD

Hi Literati,

I have a thyroid disorder. I was diagnosed with "ideopathic" thyroiditis resulting in severe hypothyroidism in 2001. The docs aren't sure, but they think my thyroiditis is caused by an autoimmune problem. I have been treated with thyroid replacement hormones successfully since then, but still suffer from symptoms of ADD. (I just started on 20 mg of Adderall XR.)

It might be interesting to note that one of my two sisters, my mother and myself all have ADD, chronic depression, AND thyroiditis. (Mom has Hashimoto's.) My other sister doesn't seem to have ADD but also has chronic depression and thyroiditis. We are all on thyroid medication and anti-depressants, which help. We need our AD meds as much as we need our thyroid meds!!!! My sister has found Ritalin to be very helpful for her ADD. She also has a daughter with severe ADHD... Ritalin is helping her too.

Seems to run in families, eh???
Old 05-11-06, 10:28 AM

Artsy, thanks for the reply. My doctor told me that I pretty much have a case of sub-clinical hypothyroid, and that's partly responsible for the ADD. However, I've had ADD symptoms since I was a little kid... So I'm sure it'll help me not feel so horribly tired, foggy and cold all the time, but I just had a feeling it wouldn't get rid of all the ADD, sigh . But it's really good to hear about other people's experiences with this and ADD because I wasn't sure what to expect.

QueensU, yes they do still make Armour Thyroid in the US... I hope your mom is still able to get it.
Old 05-15-06, 01:57 AM

bluelion has disabled reputation
I stumbled across the thyroid connection a few days ago myself.

I was talking to my general practitioner a few weeks ago at a check up and I mentioned to her that I was tired all the time and I felt mentally "clumsy" or as if I was mentally in a fog. These symptoms seemed to have worsened dramatically within the past 12- 6 months. She recommended that I come back in to get my fasting blood work checked for possible thyroid disorder. After speaking with her, I started searching online information regarding thyroid disorders and it would seem I have many of the symptoms of hypothyroid. I have not had the chance to go back as of yet because the day of my appointment I was not fasting and I am currently out of town. However, it would be interesting to see what the results will be when I do get them done.

I have had ADD symptoms since I was child but was never tested for it. It wasn't until last month that I went to seek (mental health professional) testing and treatment for it and I am currently taking Adderall XR 10mg.

Is possible to have always had ADD and then develop hypothyroid disorder?
Old 05-15-06, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion
I stumbled across the thyroid connection a few days ago myself.

I was talking to my general practitioner a few weeks ago at a check up and I mentioned to her that I was tired all the time and I felt mentally "clumsy" or as if I was mentally in a fog. These symptoms seemed to have worsened dramatically within the past 12- 6 months. She recommended that I come back in to get my fasting blood work checked for possible thyroid disorder. After speaking with her, I started searching online information regarding thyroid disorders and it would seem I have many of the symptoms of hypothyroid. I have not had the chance to go back as of yet because the day of my appointment I was not fasting and I am currently out of town. However, it would be interesting to see what the results will be when I do get them done.

I have had ADD symptoms since I was child but was never tested for it. It wasn't until last month that I went to seek (mental health professional) testing and treatment for it and I am currently taking Adderall XR 10mg.

Is possible to have always had ADD and then develop hypothyroid disorder?
I think so. I've had ADD symptoms ever since I started school. The hypothyroid symptoms started when I was about 21 or so (tired, cold, unexplained weight gain of 10-15 pounds for no reason, takes forever to get it off, loss of libido, etc). My doctor told me that even though we're going to treat me for hypothyroid, it won't completely eradicate the ADD (and I wasn't really expecting that it would), but it'll make it somewhat more manageable.