ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-20, 11:42 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,008 Posts
KarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Micronutrients?

Hi,

When I mentioned to a colleague of mine (a psychiatrist) that I was seeking assessment for my son's likely ADHD, he suggested I investigate the possibility of micronutrient therapy should the diagnosis be confirmed.

I've started looking for information, but I'm having some difficulty locating credible tangible information (I've found journal articles and presentations and such, but they tend to speak in general terms)

My initial research suggests that it might be as (or more) effective as medication for addressing ADHD symptoms.

My question: Does anyone have personal experience trying this form of treatment? Does anyone know of any credible sources of information for me to further my own education on the subject?

Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to KarmanMonkey For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (07-14-20)
Old 07-14-20, 07:02 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 17,281 Times in 8,146 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Micronutrients?

I’ve been under the impression from lots of reading from research that nutrients can alleviate ADHD like symptoms only if they are caused by a deficiency. I think Dr. Solanto below makes a great point that it’s important to determine if there is a deficiency first, and if it could be addressed through diet before considering micronutrients.

Anyway, I’m not a doctor nor do I have any experience with micronutrients. The quote below just sums up my opinion very well from years of reading about ADHD and treatments. I hope it helps.

Best wishes on finding the proper course of action to take for your son!

Quote:
Micronutrients for ADHD

CHADD Professional Advisory Board member Mary Solanto, PhD, says she can understand parents and adults being interested in micronutrients and the use of food as a treatment approach for ADHD. Dr. Solanto is an associate professor of Psychiatry and director of the ADHD Center in the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City. A deficiency in a micronutrient would be a tempting “quick and easy” explanation for the cause of ADHD symptoms, she says.

“I think it reflects the understandable desire of parents to find an answer that they can implement quickly and easily,” Dr. Solanto says. “I think, in part, it does relate to the issue of wanting to avoid medication, because I think the dangers of medication have been overstated.”

Dr. Solanto says that before a parent, or an adult affected by ADHD, adds a micronutrient supplement, either as a single nutrient or vitamin-mineral combination, it’s important to find out if there is an actual deficiency that needs to be addressed, and if it could be addressed through diet first rather than supplements.

“The thing with those elements is they shouldn’t be taken in large doses or by people who don’t have a deficiency. That could lead to other health problems,” Dr. Solanto says. “One should treat a deficiency but not depend on these substances to correct ADHD.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (07-15-20), stef (07-15-20)
Old 07-15-20, 03:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,993 Times in 13,490 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I've found that the thing that really helps nutritionally, is a balanced diet that includes "filling" foods (banana peanut butter, etc).
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (07-15-20)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-20, 01:49 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,337 Times in 15,459 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Medication is considered a first line treatment for adhd.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (07-23-20), stef (07-23-20)
Old 07-30-20, 11:47 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,008 Posts
KarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Today is day one of my son's ritalin trial, and even over the course of breakfast I saw a benefit. We'll see how it goes.

I'm not anti-medication (I'm on two myself), and I also feel it's important to make sure we try everything non-medical to ensure that we're minimising the need for meds. All medication comes with side-effects, as well as potential long-term consequences, so while I don't shy away from them, I also want to have the best chance to mitigate those.

I remember talking to my psychiatrist about some of my concerns about long-term consequences of my meds, to which he said that the challenge is to balance the benefits and risks over the short and long term. Often the long-term can be managed, and the cost of avoiding the meds in the short term are... dramatic.

The thing is, after my psychiatrist colleague suggested I look into it, I found a few articles that have some pretty striking evidence in favour of broad spectrum micronutriends as treatment for ADHD. The interesting thing I found was that it seemed to prove to be effective even for children who were not deficient.

I couldn't find the metastudy I found before that showed micronutrients to be as effective as stimulant medication, but here are some other examples:

https://www.canterbury.ac.nz/news/20...-benefits.html

https://www.ohsu.edu/sites/default/f...ith%20ADHD.pdf

https://www.ohsu.edu/sites/default/f...20Symptoms.pdf