ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 08-28-19, 02:49 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all
Relationship anxiety

Hey everyone! Long time no see. Wanted to pose a question to the group, I've been dealing with some issues that I had pretty much forgotten about over the last two years of being single but now I am in a serious relationship and things are coming to a head yet again.

Anywho, I've noticed the last few times I've gotten involved with someone on any sort of a serious level that my anxiety, which it's pretty much non-existent when I'm single, flares up like I can't even believe. Like to the point where I think it could potentially ruin what is looking to be a very good thing. I know everything is in my head, I know I'm an over-thinker, I know all of my worrying is unfounded... But that doesn't change the fact that it makes it really difficult to sustain a healthy relationship. Wondering if any of you have similar experiences, and if so what you have done successfully to alleviate or at least lessen the impact that it has on your life and your relationships. I really think this is the big one, and the last thing I want to do is ruin it because of my personal issues. Especially when I know that they're my own issues. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-28-19, 03:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road
Re: Relationship anxiety

Something similar happens to me. Almost three years ago I broke up with my girlfriend and although I tried to start some relationships, in a few days I notice that I lose control of the situation and that I worry too much, and I just left it. I can't help you, since we are in the same case, but the answers will be good for me too.
Old 08-28-19, 03:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

I have to tell you that more than once I have considered staying alone and not starting any relationship because I can imagine the outcome. I guess there are several of us in this case. What to do in these cases?

my social anxiety is an extra handicap
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-19, 10:30 AM
ADDvanced Member

I resume the post, does anyone feel the same?
Old 08-30-19, 10:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,858 Times in 12,534 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Am just now seeing this. Have you ever tried CBT or DBT ... therapy?
A chance to talk about how the last relationship made you feel ...
and think about what you want to feel in a new relationship?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
benito (08-30-19)
Old 08-30-19, 10:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

I have google cbt therapy ... I have been seeing a psychologist for about a year now. I have improved many things, but finding a partner is very difficult for me. First, contact with new people is difficult, although I have improved a lot. I'm afraid to start a relationship and then go wrong. I've tried apps like meetic and tinder, but I haven't found anyone to share my life with. Sometimes I think it is better to be alone, unless I find a person with whom I am really comfortable ...
The Following User Says Thank You to benito For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (08-30-19)
Old 08-30-19, 10:52 AM
ADDvanced Member

I don't think I'm looking for a perfect person. I settle for an empathetic person, with a good background (good heart) and who understands how I am.
Old 08-30-19, 10:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

The last relationship was broken by distance. She is 600km away, and it became very difficult for me to carry the relationship. She is a very empathetic person and understood me perfectly, but the distance ...
Old 08-30-19, 10:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

I will discuss this topic with the psychologist at the next visit. Just talking about it here has helped me.

Thanks, Lunacie.