ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Current ADD Events & News > ADD News
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD News News from around the world about ADD/ADHD, other disorders, and some rather bizzarre & strange stories.

Old 08-20-14, 10:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,389 Times in 5,564 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 30% of adults with ADHD were abused as a child???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
And you are entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't seem to be supported by the statistics/research.

From: http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/c...at-drives-them
well the technical definition of a pedophile is a sexual attraction to children

i don't understand how the factors you present contradict a sexual attraction to children

is it my computer or is addf moving really slow
Old 08-20-14, 10:16 PM

Thanked 26,483 Times in 12,362 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
well the technical definition of a pedophile is a sexual attraction to children

i don't understand how the factors you present contradict a sexual attraction to children

is it my computer or is addf moving really slow
Pedophiles are sexually attracted only to children. They feel an emotional connection with children that they may not feel with adults.

Child molesters may use children for sexual gratification if the occasion presents itself, but are capable of adult sexual relationships as well

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 08-21-14, 09:34 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,783 Times in 7,604 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Not all child molesters are pedophiles.

Not all pedophiles are child molesters.
I am confused by this. I understand how a pedophile isn't necessarily a child molester. I don't get how a child molester isn't a pedophile.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-14, 02:19 AM

Thanked 6,477 Times in 4,724 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

If we ask MeADD823 (just because she's described it here) what it was like at school.
It was uncomfortable.
She hated it and medications helped.

That's abuse.

Now the fact that nonADDers can handle the abuse makes us sensitive to that abuse - a sensitivity to an abuse which others (nonADDers) would not class as abuse.

So - given the idea of ADDers as 'sensitive' - the word 'abuse' will mean something (potentially) different in our case.

My take on the Western education / workplace.

Education - easy enough, but I don't really want to know anything you're telling me.

Workplace - easy enough, but you're not doing anything the most efficient way and there's little point to whatever you're attempting.

So - why wouldn't we (ADDers) expect our sensitivity (tendency towards logical consistency) to express itself through feeling abused, with the word here used in a context which is ADDer-specific.

To be honest - the entire life which I've experienced feels like one of abuse.
There's an essential freedom lacking here - and a compulsion to 'do' not what comes naturally - but unnaturally towards maintaining the status quo of inequality.

Education fills one's head with information - which although is not incorrect - is not essential.
You're then forced to earn money and so need to fly the flag for your educatiion - the geneticist genetically modifies, the chemist synthesizes death-inducing pharmaceuticals for the lucrative cancer market ... ...

My basic point is that the ADDer suffers constant abuse in this present world.
That abuse manifests itself as distress.
Chronic distress (persistent activation of the fight or flight response) gives rise to a series of consequences - of which ADHD (the disorder) is one.

So - ADHD - as essentially - a tendency towards logical consistency - because the mind assembles in a way which necessitates logical consistency with what is known ie AND mind (convergent) not EOR mind (divergent)
- and operation outside of the needs of this self-stipulating logical structure causes us the feeling of being abuse -> stress -> disorder component of ADHD.

It needs to be noted that as of the emergence of modern man - the human mind has been the only subject worth discussing.
There has been a clear divide between those who double think (sophist) and those who strive for logical consistency (Socrates)
- and all that I'm suggesting is that the emergence of ADDers reflects a minor alteration in the structure of brain/mind which makes self-assembly of the logically consistent mind not negotiable.

Thing is - we're dead (as a species) unless we operate consistently with our own survival.
This is not currently happening.

Why ? when survival is what evolution generally concerns itself with - would we have acquired a mind which clearly is accelerating our own destruction (nuclear, biological, chemical, physical weapons)
- where the answer seems to be that the precursor mind to ADDers permitted disconnected logical models of reality to be stored (double think able <- mark of the psychopath politician)
- whereas cognitive dissonance tuned ADDers (as a tool for eliminating logical inconsistencies as they pertain to morality)
-- is an externally visible marker of an internally altered structure of logical unit which is scaled to generate mind.

-*-

In simple terms - ADDers are predisposed towards a 'true' world view - since new evidence shatters our old world view ie we can't house inconsistencies in mind.

The HUGE error in human academic fields - is to fail to generate a model of the human mind ie that thing which does our thinking - because until we know its pitfalls - we can't use it, itself correctly.

The major pitfall of the human mind is (education/workplace driven) - an attraction to selfishness. This attraction is fed by current capitalist society - and the net effect is for us to breed an uncreative society of consumerist monsters.

The ADDer can be the cure to this disease - because the ADDer mind forever feels abuse without any neurochemical reward from chasing these ideals.

So - how does the tendency to logical consistency ADDer obtain reward ?
Well - the evolutionary process is to create.

From the Big Bang onwards - we've observed a natural process of increasing complexity within creation.

I think that what brings the ADDer reward is to align oneself with creativity - to leave a better world than one found - knowing that that better world which the individual has contributed to - makes life better for subsequent generations.

So - the effect of nonADDers (probably ADDers too going completely mad) in this current society is in complete opposition to the behaviours required by ADDers to obtain reward.

In the absence of reward we need to take it in bottle form (stimulant medication).

From what I've learnt from the literature - all that we know for sure is that ADHD has a familial nature, courts distress and is aided by stress-busting stimulant medication.

So - the little we know about ADHD (despite the 000's of publications) can be simply explained away by a simple change in a number of aspects of human biology which favour survival.

These are - a tendency towards moral consistency alongside the 'thrifty gene' hypothesis ie more aerobic in nature [more efficient metabolic engine] than precursor species - the emergence of a social species will - definitely enhance the chances of survival of the Hominid line.

Being moral and Being energy efficient - are survival enhancing properties which dramatically (at least currently) result in premature death - engagement in immorality (in those who're moral) drives 50:50 fat/carb intake (which drives insulin promoted anabolic processes including fat deposition (which associates with all diseases of Western living eg Alzheimer's disease is informally considered 'Type III diabetes')) as stress relief ... ... is the recipe for disaster.

Last edited by SB_UK; 08-22-14 at 02:46 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to SB_UK For This Useful Post:
markadd (10-14-14)
Old 08-22-14, 03:01 AM

So 10 years ago today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabile View Post
The use of these new logical structures necessarily results in a kind of enforced moral consistency, another point of severe contention with normals.
I think I agreed 10 years ago today.

And the same basic idea is still going strong.

I'm not so sure that I can find any more evidence to try and oust the idea.

-*-

Simply - ADDers - different type - tendency towards consistency - programmed towards properly social behaviour - can't help ourselves - fundamentally programmed into the way our mind self-assembles. Parallel changes - more aerobic profile.
<- evolutionary selection of properties which favour enhanced survival ... ... though it's more about survival to man - we're more into quality of experrience - though where the phrase 'dying of boredom' perhaps introduces the idea that human beings find it difficult to survive in a barren sensory realm.
Old 08-23-14, 07:25 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,783 Times in 7,604 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, this quote I found in a Science Journal speaks volumes to me. This plus my ADHD explains a lot. The quote below was information based on NT children.

Quote:
Corporal punishment has been linked with all sorts of behavior problems, including aggression, paranoia, school failure, poor emotional regulation, and low empathy (Larzelere and Kuhn 2005; Johnson et al 2006; Alyahri and Goodman 2008; Chang et al 2003; Gershoff 2002)

• Spanking children older than 5 or 6 is a bad idea. Research suggests that older kids are especially susceptible to the negative effects of spanking. They are more likely to become antisocial or distressed. They are also more likely to develop negative relationships with their parents.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
gothceltgirl (02-21-16)
Old 08-24-14, 01:51 AM

Thanked 1,269 Times in 959 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

In general, I think the timing(s) of the emotional distress(es), coincides with the critical/sensitive period(s) of development from conception.

If the emotional distress occurs before the more cognitive verbal explicit critical stages of brain development, the earlier more affective preverbal implicit critical stages of brain development may be affected.

P

Last edited by mildadhd; 08-24-14 at 02:14 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-25-14), SB_UK (08-25-14)
Old 08-25-14, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripheral View Post
In general, I think the timing(s) of the emotional distress(es), coincides with the critical/sensitive period(s) of development from conception.

If the emotional distress occurs before the more cognitive verbal explicit critical stages of brain development, the earlier more affective preverbal implicit critical stages of brain development may be affected.

P
Time for a magical experiment.

Let's say we take a woman one day after becoming pregnant and we duplicate her using HP's new printer copier.

Is this to suggest that we can define an environment in which the mother will have a child with ADHD and an environment in which the mother will not have a child with ADHD ie we can define the entire environment from food, temperature, TV programs, gym access, gym routine etc for the 2 photocopies - can we generate 1 adder and 1 nonadder.

Forgetting what heritability exactly means mechanistically - if we're observing adder types generating adder types almost exclusively (very high heritability) - then that would have to mean that the all people are exposed to the adverse ADD environment ie the environment that we'd need to stipulate in order to get the one photocopy to have an ADDer child.

Why's that important ? Well - it'd mean that we'd need to make a very large change in order to alter some ubiquitous aspect of environment.
Old 08-25-14, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripheral View Post

P
Is the ADDer broken prior to mind (5 years) ?
Or broken by what we're required to do post-mind (school/work) ?

The ADDer is different - but why can't the difference be sensitivity ?
And the distress be the sensitivity being trampled over ?

Personally - I can't stand fireworks and firework exposure hurts - exposure to fireworks would cause me pain - in a society where I'm exposed to fireworks 24-7 - I would be adversely (unlike other people) affected ... ... but the disorder is one of sensitive hearing - which isn't really a disorder/disease
- merely becomes one in a world where people generate fireworks for entertainment because they're incapable of just sitting still and being happy.

Something good (sensitivity) becomes something bad (distress) in a society which can (unlike you) handle (actually be addicted to) something unnecessary (fireworks).
Similarly
Something good (alcohol/food insensitivity) becomes something bad (distres) in a society which can (unlike you) handle (actually be addicted to) something unnecessary (alcohol,sugar,starch,animal protein).

Carbs aren't required for life.
Animal products aren't required for life.
Alcohol isn't required for life.
Old 08-25-14, 07:33 AM

I guess my point is - what if we scale back the most narrow specification of a happy person - and it comes to some form of basic food, some form of basic temperature, some form of beauty to observe -

and suggest that the ADDer sensitivity is insensitivity to all factors other than these which our standard society considers essential.

We'll appear to be allergic/intolerant/incapable of paying attention to all other aspects of society (particularly the ones our current society is addicted to like winning, being beetter than another person, fighting) ... ... and express distress which results in dysfunction.

So - if we travel back to science - it's often said that science is the simplest explanatory model.

What if our reward system is set at the simplest 'rewarding' paradigm which simply requires a suitable foodstuff for our biome (fresh veg), a suitable temperature for our regulatory processes (life in the sun) and something interesting (natural world diversity) to look at.

So - we take everything else that human beings have generated and see that it's an attempt to create comfort - which has fallen flat.

I'm pretty sure that the standard shoe is the cause of our back problems.
As is the bed.

Do you see ?

We're maybe given the eyes to see that almost nothing that human beings have introduced is ACTUALLY in our species' best interests - and it would be fitting that a species should emerge without reward from engaging in such activities
- because they're really going to have to change.

-*-

Quote:
30% of adults with ADHD were abused as a child???
I'd argue that for disorder to expose itself the ADDer must be experiencing abuse defined as forced engagement in behaviours which are not in line with the ADDer's reward system.

Or that ADHD disorder is distress.
And that core ADHD basis is simply social mindedness.

So ADHD disorder can be alleviated by allowing social mindedness an appropriately social environment in which to be mindful.

How ?
Optimal, sustainable food + shelter in sun to all unconditionally through co-operative working.

1 week of life - build sustainable house and move in.
1 hour per week thereafter - carry poop down to farm and pour into hole for our little wormy friends, dig up a few weeds ... ... carry potatoes home to be fried.

That's it -
school's out for summer.
school's out for ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Flanders
Though I prefer the Christian rock group ADBC
'kindly deeds done for free'