ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 07-08-18, 11:25 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Dextroamphetamine Generic Mfg's and Zenzedi, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf1234 View Post
If zenzedi is the only Dex that offers a single pill at 30mg, how do people manage with the generic Dex ir if the highest dosage is 10mg per pill at 4 or 6 times a day. Generic Dex ir doesn't even come close to zenzedi. Any thoughts?
It depends on your insurance's policies. Or some people pay out of pocket.

Zenzedi is under patent protection, so it's very expensive. And it's the exact same active ingredient as Dexedrine, so it's understandable that an insurance company wouldn't want to cover Zenzedi. 6 x 10mg Dexedrine might still be cheaper than 2 x 30mg Zenzedi?
Old 12-16-18, 06:28 PM

asdf1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Wait...your insurance will not cover more than 1 pill a day?

Can you share this article? My understanding is the newer stimulant-like drug Provigil was the better option for narcolepsy. Is narcolepsy what you take the meds for? The daily recommended max for dex is 60mg but that is "recommended" which is very different than what is a safe dose to take. The recommended max for adderall is 40mg for adhd and 60mg for narcolepsy but I take 80mg a day. Yes, that is higher than normal but still not ridiculous. Most of the studies on stimulants were done on children because it was believed that adhd was only a childhood issue. So its important to know how the studies were conducted and what population was studied to come up with the results.
Sorry for the late response. I mispoke about the article. While I did eventually find the piece of paper published by a local (Illinois) third party R&D who's parent company was former CVS Caremark, it was more an unbiased list of treatments provided to me by my sleep doctor. At the bottom of this informative...pamphlet is a note that "this information has been reviewed by the FDA." I guess I'm saving it for the day when my doctor retires and I may have to argue the case that my seemingly high dosage of 45 mg or 1.5 pills daily of 30 mg zenzedi isn't unheard of.

I wanted to check back in after being informed that my CVS pharmacist was provided a list of drugs that CVS would no longer be filling due to the expense in filling them. She said she saw Zenzedi at the bottom of the list and said she thought of me (I'm the only one who they fill Zenzedi for). She said that as the pharmacy manager, she would apply for manual underwriting to make an exception for Zenzedi. Cardinal pharmaceuticals sells CVS their Zenzedi in Illinois. Oddly it has nothing to do with not marking up the drug enough or insurance or even the manufacturer. CVS introduced me to a R&D company Navitus to help cover the cost to Cardinal in exchange for getting a copy of what state law allows for usage and prescription stats.

After Provigal came out in generic, I did try it. I feel like giving it another chance but the initial run did not have any effect or had an uncanny resemblance to stratera. My doctor did not expect it to do well with me as he has not received great results with the few narcoleptic patients he has when it was branded. I'm 26 YO now and we will continue optimistically that the excessive daytime sleepiness will mysteriously go away into my late 20s as mysteriously as it shows up. Until then, Zenzedi is still advertised as "the first and only Immediate release dextroamphetamine (sulfate)....in 30mg tablets." At the same time, the 30mg pill the size of an eraser head is the most effective treatment option I've had. Frankly, the optimal dosage I'd like to be at would be 60mg of the ir. However, at a $210-$300 copay for the 60 quantity and the lack of benefit that others need from other drugs in the CNS stim family, it's hard to say what will happen to this IR brand of Dex. If a generic does come after the patent expires, it will be an expensive generic if history has taught us anything.
Old 02-17-19, 11:07 AM

Knarkill26 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHousto View Post
Just got my corepharma generic dextroamphetamine. Will update everyone!
They're the best imo, when the Dexedrine name was up for sale core pharma acquired it and the generic ones and the ones that say dexedrine on the bottle have the same imprint.
Sponsored Links