ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 10-25-04, 02:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Question Women with AD/HD do you have problems selecting what to wear?

This is embarassing to admit, but I seem to have always had great difficulty selecting what to wear.

I can stand in front of the wardrobe, and my brain just goes blank . I end up wearing a few tops and a few skirts and the rest just hangs there.

I just get a brain freeze. If I get it right, I really get it right, but I struggle with this terribly.

Can anyone relate to this?

I've even tried buying in only three colors, black, deep red, and white. But it makes no difference.

Please don't let me be the only dressing dunce!
Old 10-25-04, 03:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Deeperblue is on a distinguished road
Actually, I was wondering why I have to get dressed. I hate having to think about all the steps before I can even get dressed--forget about deciding on what to wear. I really think that this keeps me back from accomplishing what I really want to do in my daily life. I just don't want to wash my face...etc,etc. Today I challenged myself. I had to just put on anything so I grabbed my overalls, my bf's t-shirt and shirt which he wore yesterday--His tshirt smells nice And I did what I had to do (no WANT to DO) So I really understand you wardrobe problem. Thanks for a timely topic!
Old 10-25-04, 03:10 PM
Jr Member

Xera is on a distinguished road
Picking out clothes

I used to joke w/ my mom that I wanted a whole wardrobe of clothes made out of that paper stuff you wear at the doctor's office. Then I could just throw them away (or recycle) them at night, and not have to wash them. Also, I wouldn't have to worry so much about what "matched".

I've found that if I can set out a week's worth of outfits (my sister spent 20 years teaching me how to dress.) at night when I'm more awake, then I do fine in the mornings. The only decision is which hanger to pull out and put all the stuff from it on me. (I keep the matching shoes on a rack underneath it). I'm not very bright first thing in the morning, and decisions are NOT my friend. I've gotten to work and realized I'm wearing a black dress with green tennis socks and loafers. How do I do this?? My coworkers think it's funny. I just tell them I'm trying to help with office morale.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-04, 10:42 PM

IndyCelt is on a distinguished road
I make my decisions easier by having all my clothes, hanging and in the drawers, on a rotation. It is a bit of work to move things progressively from drawer to drawer, but it does decrease the decision making. I don't always go in order due to weather or my moods, but I do find that I spend significantly less time making choices.

Cheryl
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyCelt For This Useful Post:
Sissaphus (11-20-09)
Old 10-25-04, 10:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

Alexa is on a distinguished road
Back about this time last year when I moved in with my SO one of our issues was mornings. He was up at 6:00 out the door to the gym at 6:30 where he showered, dressed afterwards then headed to work. I am NOT a morning person, but I said I would give it a try. I HATED every minute!! It meant my having to pick out my clothes the night before. I was having some serious weight fluctuations at the time so it also meant my having to try on half the closet to see what fit, which led to depression and crappy moods. Then having to shower, do make-up/hair, dress, etc., in a gym locker room. I was so happy when by Dr.'s orders I had to quit strength training for 2 months and could only do cardio which I could do at home. I'm up at 6:00 now and I'm lucky to be dressed and out the door by 9:00. The meds are helping (just Dx in July on Addrall since early August) it's just another one of those things I'm having to work on. I just got rid of a TON of clothes that I've had packed in boxes, haven't worn in years and really should have scrapped a long time ago. Again... making progress, but still have a long way to go.
Old 10-26-04, 07:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

Debs is on a distinguished road
I am such a mood dresser. I could never pick out the day before what to wear the next day. I have TONS of clothes and usually try on a few things before I settle on what to wear which is only a problem if I discard all the clothes not chosen on the floor, I really try to make sure I hang them back up. I do tend to have what I call "uniforms" something I will get comfortable in and wear a few times in a row. I find I am better able to decide if I think about what I should wear before I head to my closet, too many choices overwhelm me.
Old 10-26-04, 02:10 PM
Forum Guru

addwifey is on a distinguished road
When shopping for my kids, I often wonder why they don't make Garanimals for grown-ups? It would really cut down on all the "does that shirt match this skirt?" You just pick a shirt with a panda tag and put it with a skirt that also has a panda tag and voila, "I got dressed all by myself!"

I totally relate to this topic. I could spend a week trying to figure it out. OH, don't even invite me to a wedding or shower - egad! - that is a whole new issue of what to wear.

"By perserverance the snail reached the ark." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
The Following User Says Thank You to addwifey For This Useful Post:
westsida (03-11-10)
Old 10-26-04, 03:44 PM

Wheezie has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by addwifey
When shopping for my kids, I often wonder why they don't make Garanimals for grown-ups? It would really cut down on all the "does that shirt match this skirt?" You just pick a shirt with a panda tag and put it with a skirt that also has a panda tag and voila, "I got dressed all by myself!"
lol

i said this very thing to my friend when she was here helping me go through my wardrobe to see what i'd need for my new job. i was panicking! there is so much to remember and let's not even get *started* on the whole navy v. black thing!!!

i told her i need garanimals for adults! she figured out a solution for me (she's so smart ). she wrote on each tag of each pair of pants the color of the jacket i can wear it with. on each jacket she wrote the color of the cooridinating pants. i'm on my own for the shirt, but, i'm doing o.k. so far.... i even got complimented by my mom the other day!!!

thank goodness for friends with fashion sense, now i don't need my own.
Old 10-26-04, 07:40 PM

sensation is on a distinguished road
LOL at addwife and "adult garanimals"!

This is a HUGE struggle for me too but I'm getting better with age (I'm 40.)

I have a good fashion sense but NO memory. So I can't instantly look at my stuff and remember which tank is too short for which pants, which pants are long enough for which heels, etc.

Accessorizing is exhausting for me. All those options (jewelry, belts, hats, scarves, etc.) make me really confused. Plus, when I have all that *stuff* on, it feels like it adds mental static to my whole sense of self. Do you know what I mean?

One thing I've embraced is my own "uniform:" jeans or casual pants styled like jeans, boots and a sweater for all but the hottest of days.

Quality is what allows me to wear this to work. The jeans are dark and well cut, the sweaters are mostly cashmere/wool or a really finely woven cotton and the boots - well, they're scuffed, but pretend they are all elegant and polished!

Here's the biggest challenge though: resisting new purchases! I get every catalog under the sun and am so tempted to get a thing or two on sale. Especially funky and quirky stuff.

But at this point I know that almost without exception, any deviation from my uniform ends in wasting time and money.

Hope this was helpful or interesting! I did blather on...

PS
I get the majority of my clothes at maxstudio.com (on sale only) I trust this site to have really high quality and workmanship and fit. All of the pieces work together. So I guess it's "Garanimals"-ish!

eta
Old Navy is great too. The clothes are so inexpensive, if you end up not wearing something, you don't feel quite so wasteful! But in my experience, sizing is really variable there, so I always go into the store to try on rather than shopping online.
: )

And one more thing I forgot to say: I avoid patterns at all cost. Solids in a handful of colors only! (I have black, white, grey, with some hits of red, orange, purple and green, as in, a green tshirt showing a bit under a black sweater.) When I was younger I dressed in trends and with creativity, but now I just want to focus on getting on with my day!

eek, I talk a lot!
The Following User Says Thank You to sensation For This Useful Post:
Sissaphus (11-20-09)
Old 10-26-04, 08:04 PM

triple*eee is on a distinguished road
I feel I have (and been told) that I have a pretty good fashion sense, My problem is there are days that I can look in my closet and find NOTHING to wear.

I will put on 6-7 outfits and get very angry if I'm not happy with how they look that day. I'll be stomping around and throwing a fit like a little kid. It's actually quite embaressing, but it's like a temper tantrum.

My husband just stands there , and knows not to say anything

Denise
The Following User Says Thank You to triple*eee For This Useful Post:
Afrikana (12-10-09)
Old 10-26-04, 10:47 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

f_wcomboadhd is on a distinguished road
OMGGGG
TRIPLE*EEE
yess
clothes:
it can ruin my day
it can ruin my week
or it can make me feel sparkly for all of two seconds.
i have great clothes. do i wear them? do ppl know i have great clothes? rarely. I recently went on a skirt thing...i said "ok i'm wearing all the skirts that i bought b/c i finally realized that shorts are disgusting and i live in texas and so skirts it is and they have such GREAT skirts and since i've bought ALL of them it seems maybe i'll wear one every day"
so i reorganized my closet (its already ruined, this all happened within a month)
and lo and behold! hey! heels, heels and shoes o rama in all these boxes..so i whipped out with those..for a wk this lasted and my whole office was staring every day like: we didn't know you could look like that! blah blah.
but i can never do that ALL the time. jeans are my 'uniform' sometimes i am embarrassed for myself..i wake at 5: 30
and i work in a call center..no one sees me..so that yoga pants and tshirt with jean jacket thing works out real well and comfortably...UNTIL one of my friends says:hey! lets go to lunch at _____ LOL
i look like a refugee! on those days.
Old 10-27-04, 06:45 AM

Kelly is on a distinguished road
I have "favorite outfits" that I probably wear way to often.

I have trouble finding clothes that fit me right (I'm 6' tall and almost 300 lbs *bleah*) I guess if I broke down and spent ooodles of $$, they'd prolly fit better, but I don't have alot to spend on clothes and Ross is my favorite store

Once I've already worn my favorite outfits during the week, I usually end up changing clothes atleast once before I head off to work.
Old 10-27-04, 10:59 AM

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
I use to be this way.........

Not so much any more. I'll bet this is due to my limited wardrobe...

jeans and jean and jean ( 2 black 3 blue)

4 pairs of loose fitting stetchy type pants, 2 pairs of nice going out slacks(all black)

6 t-shirt, 3 sweatshirts,3 nice going out sweaters and shirts, 4 in-between ones

1 pair of sneakers, 4 pairs of flip flops, 1 pair of black pumps, 1 pair of winter workboot type....

I use to be a girlie girl....... 10 pairs of pumps ! 5 pairs of boots ! shirts and pants of all kinds coming out my ears and I'd spend hours looking in my closet saying "I have nothing to wear"
Old 10-29-04, 10:20 AM

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
You alll sound like ME!!!!ADDWifey, your idea just had me in stitches laughing

This is too much.......someone around here must have a good idea that's simple to remember.....???

Indy, your idea sounds quite good, but I'd forget what to do. I'm not joking. Maybe I should only have a couple of things.....or go for the Garanimals

Someone out there has got to be a good dress organizer!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-04, 03:27 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

f_wcomboadhd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
I have "favorite outfits" that I probably wear way to often.

I have trouble finding clothes that fit me right (I'm 6' tall and almost 300 lbs *bleah*) I guess if I broke down and spent ooodles of $$, they'd prolly fit better, but I don't have alot to spend on clothes and Ross is my favorite store

Once I've already worn my favorite outfits during the week, I usually end up changing clothes atleast once before I head off to work.
hey kelly,
just wanted to tell you ..(i'm a megamarshalls girl..i always find great clothes)
i read an article recently (i forgot where predictably) about how to get your clothes tailored to really upgrade the look.
for instance: on jackets making sure that it actually gives you a waist by having it altered to have a curve instead of a straight line for your waist....(i'm not a seamstress and so i'm about as good as a man telling you "dude like sew it different")
there are just small things you can do tailoring wise to make your clothes fit better and look much more stylish..
hopefully
thats a half of a hint.
i do think that getting some tailoring done can be much more reasonable than you'd expect..plus..i'm sure if you go to someone regularly...they'll probably give you a break or two.
i'm sure you could use the lengthening of pants and rehemming. i haven't seen that for more than $10 surely..
I wish that I was bullet proof
(Radiohead/The Bends/Bulletproof..I wish I was)
300 mgs. Wellbutrin XL 20mgs. Adderall XR