ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 11-07-12, 04:43 PM

andhlms is on a distinguished road
Can you pass Diagnostic Tests and still have ADD?

Hello All!

Just starting this journey and was wondering if you can have ADD but still pass the diagnostic tests? I have all the symptoms and history indicative of ADD and have my diagnostic testing scheduled for Monday. I typically do really well on tests though as I can hyper-focus on things I'm interested in. So I guess I am stressing a little about passing the tests and then getting shown the door. How much weight to they typically put on the testing vs. your history and day to day issues? Would also be interested in what these tests are all about.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to andhlms For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (11-08-12)
Old 11-07-12, 08:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,517 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you pass Diagnostic Tests and still have ADD?

The diagnostic tests are a tool, and are used alongside a diagnostic interview with the doctor. Since ADHD is a spectrum disorder with a range of different symptoms, it's not generally a pass/fail type of test!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
ana futura (11-07-12), mctavish23 (11-08-12)
Old 11-07-12, 09:48 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,892 Times in 15,249 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

There are no tests of any kind that diagnose adhd.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Amtram (11-08-12), mctavish23 (11-08-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-12, 10:00 PM

Thanked 6,242 Times in 3,065 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by andhlms View Post
Hello All!

Just starting this journey and was wondering if you can have ADD but still pass the diagnostic tests? I have all the symptoms and history indicative of ADD and have my diagnostic testing scheduled for Monday. I typically do really well on tests though as I can hyper-focus on things I'm interested in. So I guess I am stressing a little about passing the tests and then getting shown the door. How much weight to they typically put on the testing vs. your history and day to day issues? Would also be interested in what these tests are all about.

Thanks!
What Amtram said. I am a really good test taker, but I did pretty "poorly" on my neuropsych tests.

Also- you can "pass" (actually I think the correct term would be "fail") and still have ADHD. If your doctor doesn't take that into account, seek treatment elsewhere.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
Amtram (11-08-12), mctavish23 (11-08-12), PoppnNSailinMan (11-09-12)
Old 11-08-12, 12:40 AM

Thanked 10,231 Times in 3,220 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

The Short Answer Is YES.

The Long Answer Is Too.

u r welcome.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
Amtram (11-08-12), ana futura (11-08-12), sarahsweets (11-08-12)
Old 11-08-12, 03:16 AM

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

You should be evaluated using various test and also a history of your childhood, school etc and the day to day problems you have so I shouldn´t worry about that. They can help to highlight other problems or discount them.

Behaviour, making friends and social skills are also taken into account.

My daughter has started treatment this week but is going for an intelligence test in a couple of weeks. (she is terrified she will do badly).

This is not change her adhd diagnosis but rather to see if low intelligence is a contributing factor in her failing at school. If she scores high this could also indicate something in additional to adhd going on.
The Following User Says Thank You to SquarePeg For This Useful Post:
Amtram (11-08-12)