ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Current ADD Events & News > ADD News
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD News News from around the world about ADD/ADHD, other disorders, and some rather bizzarre & strange stories.

Old 09-06-09, 01:48 AM

Brikka is on a distinguished road
Re: What If Einstein Had Taken Ritalin?

I am actually more interested to know if Einstein would have wasted all of his time watching videos on youtube or playing XBOX
mctavish23 (09-07-09), scarygreengiant (12-18-09)
Old 09-06-09, 02:29 AM

Brikka is on a distinguished road

and maybe he could hyperfocus on physics...just sayin'

ok i'll shutup now
Old 09-06-09, 11:19 PM

Thanked 10,231 Times in 3,220 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

The range of IQ scores for ADHD individuals literally runs the gamut from Mild MR to

genius.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following User Says Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
scarygreengiant (12-18-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-09, 11:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
The range of IQ scores for ADHD individuals literally runs the gamut from Mild MR to genius.
Hey Mctavish! I remember you from when I was here years ago!

Anyhow, is this normally distributed, as I suspect? Do you have a study I can see?

When did you get your licensure? I don't recall you being a psychologist 5 years ago, but I might just have a poor memory.
Old 09-06-09, 11:45 PM

I've been licensed in Minnesota since Feb. 1984.

You can check those data out at any number of references.

I believe that they're mentioned in

http://www.greatschools.net/pdfs/2200_7-barktran.pdf?

Hope that helps some.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Old 09-06-09, 11:54 PM

Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Poor memory it is then. The more I think about it the more I remember I liked you for a reason, that was probably it.

Since I'm studying to become an LPC, and eventually I intend to get a PsyD and become a psychologist, may I talk to you sometime about that?

Thanks for the link, it's giving me an error but I'll poke around on the site some. (I corrected the typo, it's still only loading partially)
Old 09-07-09, 01:56 PM

No problem.

Typo anyway, it should read 1985.

Now it's My Bad.

It's also nice to hear from you btw.

I'd be glad to.

There are also a number of practicing and/or retired clinicians/behavior analysts , as well

as grad students, from around the world, here in the FORUM.

Suffice to say that no one practices on the net, but I'd bet there are probably many

hundreds of years of expertise included in that.

That also says nothing of the teachers/professors,researchers, scientist's,etc.

(If I've excluded anyone, I apologize).

The "flip side" is that I've learned more in here from the members themselves, from all

walks of life and opinion, than I've ever contributed.

If that reference isn't specific enough, then Russ Barkley's website might be another

good source of references.

Thanks for the "heads up" and I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Happy Labor Day.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
APSJ (09-07-09), Imnapl (09-15-09)
Old 09-15-09, 07:12 PM

Apollo22 will become famous soon enough

Hey, dunno if I'm bumping an old thread here, but the ol' Einstein + Ritalin is something I've pondered over quite a bit. Would he have made the same startling discoveries (excuse spelling) on medication or would he have stayed a watch maker and led a 'normal' life?
Old 09-15-09, 11:44 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are bumping an old thread -- one that deserved to die a quiet death:

After graduating, Einstein spent almost two frustrating years searching for a teaching post, but a former classmate's father helped him secure a job in Bern, at the Federal Office for Intellectual Property, the patent office, as an assistant examiner.[22] He evaluated patent applications for electromagnetic devices. In 1903, Einstein's position at the Swiss Patent Office became permanent, although he was passed over for promotion until he "fully mastered machine technology".[23]
Much of his work at the patent office related to questions about transmission of electric signals and electrical-mechanical synchronization of time, two technical problems that show up conspicuously in the thought experiments that eventually led Einstein to his radical conclusions about the nature of light and the fundamental connection between space and time. (emphasis added)
-- 'Albert Einstein' Wikipedia (Yes it is Wikipedia but sources are cited.)

Note that Einstein's "day job" was an integral part of his intellectual development.

Now where did I put that stake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo22 View Post
Hey, dunno if I'm bumping an old thread here, but the ol' Einstein + Ritalin is something I've pondered over quite a bit. Would he have made the same startling discoveries (excuse spelling) on medication or would he have stayed a watch maker and led a 'normal' life?
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
APSJ (09-15-09), Imnapl (09-15-09), scarygreengiant (12-18-09)
Old 09-16-09, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo22 View Post
Funk, J., Chessare, J., Weaver, M., & Exley, A. (1993, April). Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, creativity, and the effects of methylphenidate. Pediatrics, 91(4), 816. Retrieved September 16, 2009, from Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk et al
ABSTRACT. Given that children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are more impulsive than peers, this study explored whether they are correspondingly more creative, and whether creativity declines when impulsivity is decreased through methylphenidate (Ritalin) therapy. A repeated-measures quasi-experimental design was used to compare the performance of 19 boys with previously diagnosed ADHD and 21 comparison boys aged 8 through 11 on two administrations of alternate forms of the Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking-Figural (nonverbal). Boys with ADHD received prescribed methylphenidate only for the first session. Overall, mean Torrance summary scores for comparison boys (mean = 115.1, SD = 16.1) were higher than for boys with ADHD (mean = 107.6, SD = 12.7). However, the difference between means was small (7%) and did not meet the 25% criterion for a clinically significant difference. No changes in performance over time (comparison group) or medication state (ADHD group) were observed. These data suggest that, when measured nonverbally, the creative thinking performance of boys with ADHD is not superior to that of peers who do not have ADHD. Regarding the effects of methylphenidate, prescribed therapy did not influence performance on this measure of creative thinking. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR][Keith Note: Emphasis mine]
APSJ (09-16-09), scarygreengiant (03-16-11)
Old 09-18-09, 10:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

Childe Roland has a spectacular aura aboutChilde Roland has a spectacular aura about

He would have unified physics!
Old 09-18-09, 10:51 AM

Varg is on a distinguished road

Interesting post! I just asked the same question to my psykiatrist regarding stimulants. I'm going to be careful with them for sure, since I,ve got some ideas, inventions etc... that are beginning to get noticed by a few. My problem is that my creativity is too much, like I mean too much kaos going on in my head. With the edge of my problems taken off, I'm hoping to be able to focus long enough to get the boring stuff done rather than come up with the plan and work all the technical bits out to the finest detail and leave it as just a few drawings at the desk.
Old 02-10-11, 10:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

Padme will become famous soon enough

I think there are so many variations on people with ADHD that it's hard to generalize. I am extremely creative but my efforts are so scattered. I've got painting and craft supplies everywhere but can't settle into focusing enough on one thing to get proficient. I'm just sure I've got an unwritten book in my head if I can just focus. So I just began taking meds and already feel more focused.

If somebody feels they or their kids' creativity gets squashed by meds, then they should stop them. So far my adderall seems to be quieting my tendency to fly in all directions at once and get nowhere.
Old 02-11-11, 09:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

Kingway is a glorious beacon of lightKingway is a glorious beacon of lightKingway is a glorious beacon of lightKingway is a glorious beacon of lightKingway is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brikka View Post
I am actually more interested to know if Einstein would have wasted all of his time watching videos on youtube or playing XBOX
I don't think so, most of the "genius" don't play X-Box, honestly.

Dexedrine SR 45 mg + Ritalin IR 45 mg.
Old 02-22-11, 01:34 AM

Thanked 4,240 Times in 2,409 Posts
eclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond repute

There was a poster in one of my classrooms that claimed Einstein and Hawkings had Asperger's. Not sure how valid that claim is, though.