ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 08-12-13, 01:48 PM

megsinri is on a distinguished road
Has anyone tried a diet change for ADHD?

We are considering a gluten free diet/casein free. I know it will be a challenge, but I feel like we are needing to do something different. I know that this doesn't work for everyone, but I'm definitely feeling desperate. My son is currently on Concerta and Zoloft. The Concerta made he very moody and very down. We are on our second anti-depressent and he is just getting worse. The Developmental ped. is suggesting to just up the Zoloft. So we have another appt. to talk about what to do next. In the meantime I am considering the gluten/casein diet. I started reading a blog callled the mullies. She started this diet with her I believe 6 year old daughter and is seeing great results.
Old 08-12-13, 02:38 PM
Contributor

Canadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to behold
Re: Has anyone tried a diet change for ADHD?

I haven't gone that extreme but the changes I have made have been helpful even if all they do is just give me peace of mind about my health.

I have cut back on most sweets and replaced them with fruit, and cut back on wheat products except for whole grains or enriched. I stopped drinking pop and cut back on my caffeine and have eaten more vegetables and fruits, and tried lean meats.i'm eating more salmon and fatty fish and have tried to cut back on eating out and stuff like that.

I didn't find that not eating gluten helped when I tried it, it just made me cranky and tired since I need energy sources due to my metabolism.
Old 08-12-13, 02:51 PM

JoJoCplus2 is a jewel in the roughJoJoCplus2 is a jewel in the roughJoJoCplus2 is a jewel in the rough

We played around with the Feingold Diet for several months. Not much help to us, unfortunately. That doesn't mean it doesn't work.....IMO, it all depends on whether or not the child is sensitive to certain foods on top of the ADHD. Just so happens that my daughter probably wasn't and that's why we didn't see any results. But for lots of kids, sensitivities to things like gluten, or red and yellow dye, that will make their ADHD symptoms a thousand times worse.

Of course, I limit her sugar and she never, ever, ever gets anything with caffeine (other than the little bit you find in Hershey's kisses, which we use as rewards for good behavior). Heck, my older son does not have ADHD and he goes bonkers after a glass of soda. I could only imagine what it would do to my daughter. LOL

Worth giving it a try for a couple of months, I would say. Different things are going to work for different kids, and you'll never know what will be effective until you give it a shot.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-13, 02:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

bwalwayswins is just really nicebwalwayswins is just really nicebwalwayswins is just really nicebwalwayswins is just really nice

prior to starting ritalin we did gluten free for 2 weeks...his symptoms actually got worse and his school was calling me almost everyday. my son is adhd, but not depressed. but after doing more research about gluten free, what i finally read that made me give up was this...a gluten free diet will help with adhd symptoms IF the person has a gluten allergy or sensitivity and the adhd symptoms are a result of that...just removing gluten from a diet won't eliminate adhd symptoms that are true adhd symptoms (biochemical)...basically if the adhd symptoms are from the brain, gluten free won't help. if its a result of something happening in the gut, it can help and that why some people swear by it and others (like me) saw no improvement whatsoever and it was a expensive waste of time. but i am glad we tried it - for the due diligence aspect.
Old 08-12-13, 02:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

bwalwayswins is just really nicebwalwayswins is just really nicebwalwayswins is just really nicebwalwayswins is just really nice

agree with the above...in general my kids never have food coloring foods, junk food, we never have sodas, we use fruits for rewards when in season...he does have chocolate on occasion...like in his milk for instance...but we have cut out chocolate completely enough to know that it doesn't solve the problem, but does tend to make it worse when he has some, so we keep it in moderation.
Old 08-12-13, 03:10 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

addthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to all

Is the Concerta making him depressed? If so. Try something else.
Taking antidepressants to combat a side effect cannot be good.
You need to find a medication that does not cause depression. Those doctors play too fast and loose with antidepressants.
Old 08-12-13, 03:24 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,505 Times in 12,371 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Food allergies can cause symptoms that look like ADHD, but actually aren't.
They can also make ADHD symptoms worse, just as lack of sleep and lack
of exercise can make them worse.

Concerta may not be the right med to treat your child, or the dose may not
be optimal. If you've tried different doses of Concerta, rather than adding
another med to treat the side effects, doesn't it make more sense to try a
different medication first?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 08-12-13, 04:11 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,913 Times in 15,257 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

ms as*s got smaller but my adhd got biggerr.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 08-12-13, 04:11 PM

Thanked 6,496 Times in 3,096 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look into the GAPS diet.
Old 08-12-13, 04:46 PM

Thanked 10,439 Times in 3,292 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Take a look into the GAPS diet.
Sorry Fraser, but the GAPS diet sounds a little like oil of snake in that it seems to promise effective treatment for Autism, Dyspraxia, ADD/ADHD, Depression and Schizophrenia. I tend to get a little leery when a product promises treating this many things.

So keeping an open mind, do you know of good studies showing this diet to be effective?

Since the main site is primarily focused on selling stuff, caution might be advised.

The general consensus that I saw seems to be that there is no scientific evidence supporting the diet. That does mean that it will not work for some but it does mean that there seems to be no scientific evidence supporting it.

I counsel caution but you pays your money and takes your chances.

Dizfriz
The Following User Says Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (08-12-13)
Old 08-12-13, 04:51 PM
Forum Guru

ccom5100 has disabled reputation

We've been following the Feingold Program for 10 years (since ds was 3 years old) and it has helped tremendously. He is ADHD, predominately hyperactive/impulsive. I know that gluten free diets can be very helpful for kids on the spectrum. The only way to find out if dietary changes work is to implement them for at least a couple of months. Your child may go through a detox period which can make his symptoms worse; that's why its important to stick with it for a period of time. By following the Feingold program, we have been able to keep him off stimulant meds; he only takes a low dosage of Tenex.

Feel free to send me a private message if you'd like more information about the dietary changes we have implemented.
Natural Alternatives are worth investigating. They can and do work for some people. Dietary intervention (especially the elimination of chemical additives such as artificial colors, artificial flavors, and certain preservatives) has been very effective in helping to control adhd symptoms in my child.

The Following User Says Thank You to ccom5100 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (08-12-13)
Old 08-12-13, 05:04 PM

Thanked 10,439 Times in 3,292 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

We do know that dietary interventions seem to work for some and the Feingold diet is probably one of the better ones with the caution that most who try it do not get much in results but for some it works well. We tried it with my son who was known to be sensitive to some colorings and overall it had little impact. Simply looking at labels had a lot though and was the better way to go for us.

On the other hand some like Ccom have reported good results and that is hard to ignore so I say the evidence indicates that it will work well for some but not for most.

There have been some reports on the gluten issues and again, some seem to be sensitive to it so it is a possibility.

One good medical source said that if other interventions seem not to be working, these might be worth a try and I agree with that approach. We know that some children are sensitive to artificial colors, flavorings and other substances and those substances can result in ADHD like symptoms. For those children the Feingold and related diets can be effective in my opinion.

Sometimes the child is not ADHD at all but substance sensitive.

Take care,

Dizfriz
Old 08-12-13, 06:17 PM

Thanked 6,496 Times in 3,096 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizfriz View Post
Sorry Fraser, but the GAPS diet sounds a little like oil of snake in that it seems to promise effective treatment for Autism, Dyspraxia, ADD/ADHD, Depression and Schizophrenia. I tend to get a little leery when a product promises treating this many things.

So keeping an open mind, do you know of good studies showing this diet to be effective?

Since the main site is primarily focused on selling stuff, caution might be advised.

The general consensus that I saw seems to be that there is no scientific evidence supporting the diet. That does mean that it will not work for some but it does mean that there seems to be no scientific evidence supporting it.

I counsel caution but you pays your money and takes your chances.

Dizfriz
There's a lack of evidence because there's a lack of studies. I have however heard positive stories from a small percentage who have actually perused the diet.

I can't vouch for it personally because I haven't even attempted it. I was simply putting it out there for those who are interested in having a go.

There's not really anything to lose from trying.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
ana futura (08-12-13), ccom5100 (08-12-13), Dizfriz (08-12-13)
Old 08-13-13, 11:00 AM

Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,307 Posts
Tmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond repute

I have made diet my number one priority. Healthy foods. Little to no sugar, artificial sweetners, food coloring. It really helps my energy and mood and if I exercise and sleep right the difference in my attitude and focus is night and day.

For me it's a must. What ever you can do to cut out th bad and take in the good will help Not to mention you are trying to be as healthy as you can be, and there is positive motivation and good feelings that come with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tmoney For This Useful Post:
ccom5100 (08-13-13), tripleE (08-13-13)
Old 08-13-13, 11:32 AM
Contributor

tripleE is a name known to alltripleE is a name known to alltripleE is a name known to alltripleE is a name known to alltripleE is a name known to alltripleE is a name known to all

Totally agree with what Tmoney is saying.

However, if Concerta is the only med tried so far, I would also suggest keeping an open mind about trying other ADHD medications.
The Following User Says Thank You to tripleE For This Useful Post:
Tmoney (08-14-13)