ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Current ADD Events & News > ADD News
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD News News from around the world about ADD/ADHD, other disorders, and some rather bizzarre & strange stories.

Old 01-06-14, 04:18 PM
Jr Member

Mystery_man is on a distinguished road
ADHD does not exist according to Neurologist Richard Saul

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ive-drugs.html
Old 01-06-14, 06:23 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,517 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD does not exist according to Neurologist Richard Saul

That article is. . .all over the place. It doesn't exist, but some kids who have it aren't getting treated and the drugs are bad but overdiagnosis is keeping the drugs away from kids who need them, and we don't want overdiagnosis to make people skeptical about a very real condition. . .

Ow, my head!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
Blanched Dubois (01-07-14), Corina86 (01-08-14), Dizfriz (01-07-14), Gina (05-25-14), MADD As A Hatte (08-07-14)
Old 01-06-14, 06:27 PM

Thanked 4,240 Times in 2,409 Posts
eclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond repute

Is this from the same neurologist who said he saw heaven?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eclectic beagle For This Useful Post:
Blanched Dubois (01-07-14), Dizfriz (01-07-14), Gina (05-25-14), MADD As A Hatte (08-07-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-14, 06:37 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,969 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion it is sensationalism for anyone to even consider publishing this. If he had published it himself under his own name, it would have been deservedly ignored.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (01-07-14), madawake (02-24-14)
Old 01-06-14, 06:55 PM

Thanked 26,486 Times in 12,362 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtram View Post
That article is. . .all over the place. It doesn't exist, but some kids who have it aren't getting treated and the drugs are bad but overdiagnosis is keeping the drugs away from kids who need them, and we don't want overdiagnosis to make people skeptical about a very real condition. . .

Ow, my head!
I think the contradictions are coming from different people - that wasn't made as clear as it could have been in the article.

Quote:
He claims that ADHD is nothing more than a collection of symptoms and not a disease.
Wouldn't that rule out almost every diagnosis in the DSM?

Aren't most diseases diagnosed by first looking at the symptoms that are present?
Then tests are done if possible to confirm or rule out the diagnosis.

The problem with all these deniers is that there aren't yet any tests that can confirm or rule out the diagnosis of ADHD.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Amtram (01-06-14), Arthas (08-05-14), Dizfriz (01-07-14)
Old 01-06-14, 06:59 PM

sulfurousIo_4 is on a distinguished road

... It's from the Daily Mail. Frankly I never take anything I see from that newspaper seriously.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulfurousIo_4 For This Useful Post:
Amtram (01-06-14), chikkaccino (05-05-14), Corina86 (01-08-14), Dizfriz (01-07-14)
Old 01-06-14, 07:04 PM

Thanked 6,495 Times in 3,096 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with the ADHD diagnosis is that it consists of nothing more than a quick evaluation and multiple choice questionnaire. (which I assume parents fill out on behalf of their children)

The issue is that the list of symptoms that make up ADHD can quite easily be caused by other factors. Other possible factors seem to be getting ignored more and more these days, which may be a resulting factor in the steep increase in ADHD diagnosis(es) over the last decade.

There's no doubting that ADHD is a very real disorder, but there is also no doubting that it quite probably gets diagnosed a lot, when other possible factors are generally over looked.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (01-08-14), Dizfriz (01-07-14), dogluver358 (06-12-14), namazu (01-07-14), Tetrahedra (04-14-14)
Old 01-06-14, 07:13 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
The problem with the ADHD diagnosis is that it consists of nothing more than a quick evaluation and multiple choice questionnaire. (which I assume parents fill out on behalf of their children)

The issue is that the list of symptoms that make up ADHD can quite easily be caused by other factors. Other possible factors seem to be getting ignored more and more these days, which may be a resulting factor in the steep increase in ADHD diagnosis(es) over the last decade.

There's no doubting that ADHD is a very real disorder, but there is also no doubting that it quite probably gets diagnosed a lot, when other possible factors are generally over looked.
On the other hand, ADHD is also misdiagnosed as any or all of those other problems. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

It's a tricky business, getting the diagnosis right, and getting the right diagnosis, innit?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (01-07-14), namazu (01-07-14)
Old 01-06-14, 07:17 PM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
On the other hand, ADHD is also misdiagnosed as any or all of those other problems. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

It's a tricky business, getting the diagnosis right, and getting the right diagnosis, innit?
Correct. But the diagnosis you're seeking, will generally be the diagnosis that you get.

For example, if you have difficulties with concentration, memory and motivation and you request to be evaluated for ADHD, then you'll get a diagnosis for ADHD, because the questionnaire is based on the symptoms you have, not the actual cause of the symptoms.

If you have difficulties with concentration, memory and motivation and you request to be evaluated for Depression, then you'll end up with a diagnosis for depression, because again, the questionaire is based around the symptoms you have, instead of getting to the core cause of the symptoms.

I hope i'm making sense here.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (01-08-14), Dizfriz (01-07-14), dogluver358 (06-12-14), namazu (01-07-14), Tetrahedra (04-14-14), Wookiee (06-03-14)
Old 01-06-14, 07:22 PM

ChrissiADHD is just really niceChrissiADHD is just really niceChrissiADHD is just really niceChrissiADHD is just really nice

I read this on Facebook this morning and was floored by the comments calling parents of children with add/adhd "lazy" "uninvolved" and that the children are just spoiled brats that need "a whooping" "spankings" and "discipline". I was so upset. I was just recently diagnosed at the age of 38. I was raised with my grandparents being of the generation where children are to be seen not heard, speak when spoken to and "discipline" was key. I don't think I have to explain what my childhood was like. After over 1,000 of these comments I finally responded, "I guess I wasn't beat enough as a child for not being able to take verbal cues or verbal instructions, gazing off, interrupting not being able to control compulsions and perhaps when I still daydream or lose focus while someone is talking to me they should just take off their belt and whip me, that should solve my problems. And I was beat as a child BECAUSE of my ADHD and it only caused other serious issues such as PTSD and deep depressions, debilitating anxiety leading to a very problematic adulthood with many relationships lost, jobs lost, and self medicating and always in conflict with my own family, ultimately leading to a serious nervous and emotional break down! Had my family been educated on ADHD and aware what was going on with me, I know they wouldn't have hit me, it was all they knew. So for all of those that think beating a child with a belt, spoon, and spanking often, please advise these parents now of how hard and much force should they use during these beating? What is the best weapon to use when giving these "discipline" lessons? How long should the beatings last and often until the child will be able to control their brain chemicals so that they can sit still?" I am just shaking.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ChrissiADHD For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-05-14), Amtram (01-06-14), chikkaccino (05-05-14), deathbytheory (03-14-14), Dizfriz (01-07-14), EmilyRay42 (01-12-14), namazu (01-07-14)
Old 01-06-14, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Correct. But the diagnosis you're seeking, will generally be the diagnosis that you get.

For example, if you have difficulties with concentration, memory and motivation and you request to be evaluated for ADHD, then you'll get a diagnosis for ADHD, because the questionnaire is based on the symptoms you have, not the actual cause of the symptoms.

If you have difficulties with concentration, memory and motivation and you request to be evaluated for Depression, then you'll end up with a diagnosis for depression, because again, the questionaire is based around the symptoms you have, instead of getting to the core cause of the symptoms.

I hope i'm making sense here.
But it's not that clear cut.

I couldn't guesstimate the number of people who have posted on this forum saying
that they were mistakenly diagnosed and treated for depression for many years
before someone finally realized they actually have ADHD.

It happens all across the board, more often than you may realize.

Years ago I went to the doctor with all the symptoms of migraine disorder, and a
family history of the same. But the doctor insisted I had sinus headache and treated
me for that for several years with no change, no improvement.

(I shoulda fired him, but the ADHD, depression and anxiety made it too difficult)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Amtram (01-06-14), Dizfriz (01-07-14)
Old 01-06-14, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
But it's not that clear cut.

I couldn't guesstimate the number of people who have posted on this forum saying
that they were mistakenly diagnosed and treated for depression for many years
before someone finally realized they actually have ADHD.

It happens all across the board, more often than you may realize.

Years ago I went to the doctor with all the symptoms of migraine disorder, and a
family history of the same. But the doctor insisted I had sinus headache and treated
me for that for several years with no change, no improvement.

(I shoulda fired him, but the ADHD, depression and anxiety made it too difficult)
It's not always a matter of a diagnosis you're seeking (i should have been clearer on that), but sometimes its down to the diagnosis your GP wants to give you, despite them being incorrect themselves.

The problem i'm trying to point out here is that too many of these so called "tests" aren't really tests at all. Because the questions contained in these tests could apply to a multitude of different disorders and the same questions could be found in evaluation questionaires of multiple disorders.

It's no wonder people with ADHD are often misdiagnosed with depression or vice versa. The questionaires are more or less the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (01-07-14)
Old 01-06-14, 07:36 PM
Contributor

Canadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to behold

By the logic of this doctor, I don't have PMDD, it's just a week before my period I suddenly blow up over mole hills, am paranoid and think everyone hates me, cry uncontrollably, and feel it's justifiable to stab a pencil in the back of a person that sets me off, feel like committing suicide and fall into depression.

It's not PMDD, it's just a bunch of random symptoms, you can't test for it . it's overdiagnosed, and misdiagnosed. It's probably something else

(complete sarcasm)
Amtram (01-06-14), Dizfriz (01-07-14), dogluver358 (06-12-14), Lunacie (01-06-14), meadd823 (01-13-14), Tulip7171 (01-06-14)
Old 01-06-14, 08:11 PM

Quote:
It's not always a matter of a diagnosis you're seeking (i should have been clearer on that), but sometimes its down to the diagnosis your GP wants to give you, despite them being incorrect themselves.

The problem i'm trying to point out here is that too many of these so called "tests" aren't really tests at all. Because the questions contained in these tests could apply to a multitude of different disorders and the same questions could be found in evaluation questionaires of multiple disorders.

It's no wonder people with ADHD are often misdiagnosed with depression or vice versa. The questionaires are more or less the same.
The only evaluation form I've filled out was for ADHD.
It also noted that I have cormormid depression, anxiety and autism-related traits.

Good doctors look at all the possibilities and choose which to begin treating.

Not-so-good doctors treat them all at once, making it very difficult to figure out
which med/treatment is actually helping or hurting.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Amtram (01-06-14), Dizfriz (01-07-14), Tulip7171 (01-06-14)
Old 01-06-14, 08:28 PM

Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,796 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

How is a disease defined other than by a collection if symptoms?

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
Amtram (01-06-14), Corina86 (01-08-14), Dizfriz (01-07-14), Tulip7171 (01-06-14)