ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Other Creative Endeavors
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-15, 03:29 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,793 Times in 8,904 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation
Do-It-Yourself Hula Hoop Instructions

I had a hoop making party last year, after pricing what it costs to buy them from others, but never perfected the art of being able to actually hoop with it......until now.

It's a great workout that targets many areas at once in a relatively small amount of time, requires a need for damn good music, and strengthens the core, which is instrumental in improving my overall flow a great deal.

It's giving me ideas of possible hoop making ventures and workshops in the woods. Welcome to Hula Hoops and Endless Brain Loops, y'all!! Hahahahaha!

Anyway, have fun if you decide to try it.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-11-15)
Old 08-11-15, 02:01 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,895 Times in 15,250 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do-It-Yourself Hula Hoop Instructions

Shoot I was all excited thinking this was step by steps on the actual hoola hooping part. I have never gotten the hang of it. I have lovely child bearing hips that dont seem to want to gyrate that way.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-11-15), Unmanagable (08-11-15)
Old 08-11-15, 01:30 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

I've not given birth, but I have me some impressive hips to try to tame and teach to gyrate different ways, too. lol

Things I've learned along the way that you may find handy:

Be sure the hoop is weighted and made for adults. The ones you pick up in typical retail stores aren't going to work, no matter how well you can gyrate.

Instead of standing with feet side by side, I put one foot out in front of the other just a bit for better balance. I'm always barefoot and in the grass, unless it's raining and I'm inside.

I clasp my hands together above my head to keep them out of the way and to help keep my body more centered. I tend to hit the hoop once I get it going if I don't do that.

Music! Must be something that stirs the soul as well as the hips, or the flow just won't go. It smooths out the whole process.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
Little Missy (08-11-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-15, 03:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,772 Times in 11,681 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

And once again, The Uns is so descriptive, its just like being there!

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (08-11-15)
Old 08-14-15, 03:23 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Hot damn!!!!!!! I hooped through an entire song today for the first time EVER. Oh yes I did!!!

I went from not being able to hoop at all, except for around my arm or neck, to feeling like a f'n hip gyrating, tempo changing pro. Hahahahaha!!!

A little practice each day, to music I really dig, for about 2 weeks, and ta-da!!! And it works a lot of muscles I forgot I had. lol I wish I could have you all over for a hoop making party. I want to make more now. Hoop fee-vah!

amberwillow (10-10-15)
Old 08-14-15, 04:19 PM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

What song?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 08-14-15, 04:25 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Little Missy (08-14-15)
Old 10-06-15, 10:34 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,891 Times in 7,899 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to hula hoop once.

But then I got stuck.

lol

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (10-06-15), Unmanagable (10-06-15)
Old 10-06-15, 10:58 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

That's why I made my own, homey. lol

I've learned that hooping on a cold autumn morning is a great way to get warmed up and to get my mojo working for the day. Otherwise, I stay curled up in my big fuzzy robe and just wish to drift off back to sleep. I can even navigate the furniture better now, so I don't have to totally rearrange the room to hoop. lol

Never ever thought I'd be able to hoop after so many years of trying, but whoomp, here it is! Highly recommended and such a hoot to do. It only took me a little over a year to make it, try it, put it up for months, then dig it back out with a little more determination.......plus all the other years I failed miserably at it and just said f*** it. It's a bit cliche', but for real, if I can do it, I'm fully convinced anyone can.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (10-10-15), psychopathetic (10-06-15), stef (10-06-15)
Old 10-06-15, 04:42 PM

Thanked 1,861 Times in 1,181 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Apparently the size of the hola hoop is really important, in relation to waist size.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (10-06-15), Unmanagable (10-06-15)
Old 10-06-15, 05:29 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Size and weight of the hoop matter a great deal.....and we try wayyyyyyyy too hard at first. lol I'm really surprised I didn't throw something even further out of joint in the beginning.

I have some friends who belong to a performing fire and dance troupe and she was telling me how the different weighted ones were good for certain stunts. Imagine a hoop on fire. lol Yikes!

Old 10-08-15, 01:00 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

I hope to one day hoop like this rhythmic beauty (holy s***, she's got some moves):

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (10-10-15), Little Missy (10-08-15)
Old 10-08-15, 01:15 PM

So that is really you, right Unsy?

Old 10-08-15, 01:38 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
So that is really you, right Unsy?

Hahahaha! Boy, don't I wish!! Part of my spirit resides with her, but she gets all the credit for the moves.

Old 10-10-15, 11:12 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Another big ol' dose of "hoopspiration". Transformation has to be made as fun and intriguing as possible for it to ever work in my world. Hooping has proven to be a life enhancer for sure. Grateful for those sharing their journeys to inspire others:

amberwillow (10-10-15)