ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 11-20-15, 06:39 PM

shortbabe123 is on a distinguished road
Cannot feel stimulants, even at high doses

So I was just diagnosed about 4 months ago. Started with Ritalin, mom extended generic at 10mg 3x then 20mg 3x. Then eventually go moved to Concerta 54mg. Well I was moved up because I hardly felt a thing. I guess maybe I don't know how I'm supposed to feel. I feel slightly focused? But ya not life changing. My friend takes the highest dose of Vyvanse, has been on it for years and says his meds make him feel on top of the world. I don't feel that way. I feel a little focused, more calm, and that's about it. But I still get side tracked... Like right now for instance. I should be doing my work.

I have always had an issue with any sort of stimulant. Caffeine doesn't affect me and I don't even drink it that often. Pre workouts with major doses have hardly done anything for me. I've shocked a few people when they saw the types of prework outs I took and how they had little effect. So I'm not sure why I have such a resistance to stimulants.

Also, I stopped taking Concerta and my doc is experimenting with Adderall 20mg 1x. Strictly because I noticed my heart rate on Concerta skyrocketed to 114 resting. The thing is I didn't feel like I had a higher heart rate and never noticed until I worked out at the gym. I always check my heart rate on the machines. And when I saw it almost reached 200, I was curious what it was at resting. So it's not like I'm on a high dose and feel like I'm "high" or on "speed". I really don't feel much at all.

I just switched to a general practitioner and he's real sketched out by my psychiatrist diagnosing me with ADHD. But then again he doesn't like those docs to begin with. So I am concerned telling him I don't feel much on stims because I don't necessarily want a higher dose. Idk what to do. I don't want non stimulants because I have always had a binge eating disorder and it's really changed my life with helping me suppress cravings. I no longer feel the need to eat because I am emotional or bored. I eat when it's meal time and I feel so much better about myself overall. So I love that aspect of the stimulants. It just frustrates me that it can't manage my brain and keep it on track.
Old 11-20-15, 09:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,565 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cannot feel stimulants, even at high doses

It could be you require a higher dose and/or changed schedule for Adderall.

But ideally, you shouldn’t really “feel” anything. You should notice a change in your degree of disability from your disorder, and not notice any side-effects.

That said, you will almost certainly experience side-effects, and indeed, you already have. Fortunately, it is one that you welcome because it is of benefit to you.

I started with methylphenidate, but an efficacious dosage (2x54mg) resulted in a level of anxiety I could not tolerate. These days, I take Dexedrine, and it has worked well for me at 60mg per day. That seems to be a higher dose than most, but not all. That could be a function of my degree of impairment (severe), and/or it could be how I metabolize the medication. I take another unrelated med in a dosage that initially surprised my doctor because it would cause most people to die, but that’s just how I metabolize it.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
ADHDsim (12-06-15), peripatetic (12-02-15), shortbabe123 (12-02-15)
Old 11-20-15, 10:23 PM
Pawfect Moderator

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,159 Posts
Socaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud of

Stimulant Medication will effect everyone differently... I too do not feel anything or even seem to have any change with pre-workout. I just drink a cup of coffee now if I feel like it. Honestly, I found it didn't make my workouts more efficient or even focus more or aid in any recovery.. Plus, it's tastes too artificial for me and I would force it down my throat.. Only one I could tolerate was amino pre workout watermelon.. But it still became gross and hard to swallow.

As for medication. When I'm on the right generic of Adderall and take the right dose at the right times. I do not feel like I'm on a stimulant at all. I'm calm and relaxed and less impulsive, I don't feel like I'm speedy or up or any of that others may feel... Just able to focus more and slowed down enough to pay attention...

My roommate who been on medication for years, and we have complete opposite types of ADHD/add. To the point where when she is or isn't medicated I have questioned the validity of her diagnosis(when I told her I'm seeking a rediagnosis, she was like to do want tips on how to get medication? I'm like ummm nope I'm good, so yes I do question it but she says it helps her wake up and have energy to do things. And keeps her going. So if she does or doesn't not really my problem) since her response and her behaviors is exact opposite of mine... But some people react different and I agree that we aren't supposed to feel like we are on drugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Socaljaxs For This Useful Post:
shortbabe123 (12-02-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-15, 10:27 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't feel stimulants, that's great!

You are just supposed to feel normal.

However elevated resting heart rate is a side effect that isn't desired, hope you figure that out.

Also, just a little thing: the appetite suppression won't last forever, after you've been on your medication for 6months-1 year it will probably start to fade. Just letting you know so you don't get let down.
The Following User Says Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
shortbabe123 (12-02-15)
Old 11-22-15, 09:49 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,895 Times in 15,250 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling medication is never the idea. The idea is a reduction of symptoms.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 11-22-15, 10:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,565 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaVita View Post
Also, just a little thing: the appetite suppression won't last forever, after you've been on your medication for 6months-1 year it will probably start to fade. Just letting you know so you don't get let down.
It has been 4 years for me now on Dexedrine, and my side-effects are the same as they ever were...the same ones to the same degree, never lessening, never changing.

Not a big deal, really. I find all of them tolerable, and if thatís the price I have to pay to get the results I do, itís not just worth it, but a bargain.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (11-22-15)
Old 11-22-15, 10:55 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
It has been 4 years for me now on Dexedrine, and my side-effects are the same as they ever were...the same ones to the same degree, never lessening, never changing.

Not a big deal, really. I find all of them tolerable, and if thatís the price I have to pay to get the results I do, itís not just worth it, but a bargain.

Cheers,
Ian
Ah, I guess everyone is different.

When I was on medication the lack of appetite greatly diminished with time. And I have heard this happen for other people too.
Old 11-22-15, 11:07 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,789 Times in 7,606 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shortbabe,
Welcome to the forum!

I hope you have better results with Adderall and it doesn't raise your resting heart beat. You may want to discuss a Beta Blocker with your Dr. if it continues.

Best wishes in finding the right medication and dosage. It can be very tricky.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
shortbabe123 (12-02-15)
Old 12-02-15, 02:29 PM

Thank you everyone for the advice! I just figured out how to find my thread on the website! Oops still new!

Anyways right now I just got switched to 20mg adderral XR. It just seems to last half the time. Going to stick with it for awhile until my next appointment. How do I go about asking my new doc for a higher dose of needed? I ask because like I said he wasn't very accepting of me being on medication like my psychiatrist. Do I just tell him I still feel unfocused? Last time he asked me what I expected to feel, and I told him I don't have expectations I just want to be able to think without getting so distracted. He's a lot more serious, but I need someone to monitor my vitals just in case. So far so good with the adderral though! Normal heart rate and blood pressure!

Also, I know that not "feeling" anything is good. It calms me down and does help me feel what you would call "normal", but maybe my issue is that it's not long lasting. And I know everyone reacts differently, I wouldn't mind if it actually made me feel more alert or awake, but I think my body just metabolizes things too fast or I just have a weird body ��

Again thank you everyone for the input!
The Following User Says Thank You to shortbabe123 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (12-02-15)
Old 12-02-15, 06:57 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbabe123 View Post
Thank you everyone for the advice! I just figured out how to find my thread on the website! Oops still new!

Anyways right now I just got switched to 20mg adderral XR. It just seems to last half the time. Going to stick with it for awhile until my next appointment. How do I go about asking my new doc for a higher dose of needed? I ask because like I said he wasn't very accepting of me being on medication like my psychiatrist. Do I just tell him I still feel unfocused? Last time he asked me what I expected to feel, and I told him I don't have expectations I just want to be able to think without getting so distracted. He's a lot more serious, but I need someone to monitor my vitals just in case. So far so good with the adderral though! Normal heart rate and blood pressure!

Also, I know that not "feeling" anything is good. It calms me down and does help me feel what you would call "normal", but maybe my issue is that it's not long lasting. And I know everyone reacts differently, I wouldn't mind if it actually made me feel more alert or awake, but I think my body just metabolizes things too fast or I just have a weird body ��

Again thank you everyone for the input!
I would just be honest but very particular in how I said it. I wouldn't ask about an increase personally. I would keep it short and simple and let the Dr. realize you may need an increase, boost or change.

I would probably just say "Hey Doc. the XR has been working great. It just seems to wear off way too soon. What can we do about that?"

Asking for in increase in stimulants raises a red flag for many Dr's. The Dr. needs to feel like it was his idea instead of your diagnosis to feel comfortable.
Old 12-03-15, 12:40 PM

Thumbs up Re: Cannot feel stimulants, even at high doses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
Asking for in increase in stimulants raises a red flag for many Dr's. The Dr. needs to feel like it was his idea instead of your diagnosis to feel comfortable.
Yeah that's what I'm worried about! I wish I could go back to my psychiatrist, he was a cool guy he listened and was super flexible and understanding with medication. He told me everyone was different and that its here to help and aid us. He was also very open to having his patients experiment with dosing themselves, he would make a suggestions on dosage and would tell me to cut pills on halves or quarters to see what would work best because only I would know. But he trusted me not to abuse anything since I don't do any other drugs or drink at all so. But after my horrible health issues with the last medication, I'm not willing to take a chance on someone who can't monitor my heart and blood pressure. This new doc is a real serious guy, he makes me nervous so sometime it's hard to talk to him. I'm real outgoing with people who are friendly 😭

Anyways thanks for the advice! Sorry for the rant!
The Following User Says Thank You to shortbabe123 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (12-06-15)
Old 12-05-15, 05:52 PM

dextroamp21 is on a distinguished road

Tolerance sucks. Take an NMDA receptor antagonist such as Robotussin (make sure that DXM is the only active ingredient) with your stimulant and i'm sure you will feel you stimulant :b
Old 12-06-15, 11:03 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

***Moderator Note***
Mixing DXM and stimulants can be very dangerous.

Quote:
Amphetamine and Dextromethorphan
If you take dextromethorphan with an amphetamine or amphetamine-like medication, drug interactions may occur. This combination may increase your risk for a serious problem known as serotonin syndrome. This syndrome may result in potentially dangerous symptoms, which may include hallucinations, tremors, and fever.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Adenosine (06-07-16), sarahsweets (12-06-15), shortbabe123 (12-07-15)