ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 07-01-18, 10:17 AM

TrigonDave is on a distinguished road
Helpful Tips to get my 5yr old to take his Meds

My little guy does great when we can get him to take his methylphenidate. He doesn’t do well with swallowing the capsule, so we’ve been opening it up and mixing it into different foods: spoon-amount of Nutella, orange juice, cholocate milk. First few days work “OK”, but then he mentions he tastes the “yucky seeds”, and then refuses that type of attempt going forward.

Anyone have other suggestions?
Will crushing the “seeds” further help?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

-TrigonDave
Old 07-01-18, 02:41 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Helpful Tips to get my 5yr old to take his Meds

Is it an extended release medicine? If so, then crushing the pellets would likely turn it into an instant release. And that would probably not be a good idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
AdultADHD (07-02-18)
Old 07-01-18, 02:48 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,905 Times in 15,257 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Found this:

Quote:
An ADDitude subscriber asked, “How can I get my child with attention deficit disorder (ADHD or ADD) to swallow pills?” And here is some of the best advice other parents offered on how to teach a child to swallow a pill, as painlessly as possible.

Note: ADDitude does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The material on this website is provided for educational purposes only. These tips were provided by ADDitude forum members, not by experts. Please consult your doctor with questions or for professional advice.
Practice How to Swallow a Pill with Candy

“Practice with Tic Tacs.” —davegod

“We practiced swallowing the pills with mini M&Ms.” —maxsmom599

[Free Download: A Parent’s Guide to ADHD Medications]
Mask Medications in These 7 Tasty Ways

“My son’s doctor had to prescribe a capsule of medication that can be opened and sprinkled on yogurt. Adderall, Ritalin, and Vyvanse are all available in capsule form. My son says Vyvanse tastes the best, and it comes in a powder form that can be stirred into any drink.” —supergokart

“My child found it easier to take his medication if it was served in applesauce.” —Elaine20

“A ‘must-have’ to get my kids to take their meds is to serve the medicine in a spoonful of yogurt with nonpareils on top. You’ll find these sprinkles in the cake decorating or baking section of your local grocery store. The small, dot-sized ones are easiest to work with. I’ve used this for giving everything from chewable amoxicillin to Ritalin LA in a capsule.” —cotrav5

[What to Do When ADHD Meds Ruin Your Child’s Appetite]

“A teaspoon of crunchy peanut butter can easily disguise pills if they’re small.” —Sherry

“I spray whipped cream (out of a can) into my son’s mouth after he puts the capsule on his tongue. The whipped cream creates a barrier so the capsule doesn’t roll out and it gives him something substantial to swallow.” —bristoladd

“My husband noticed that our daughter, who was struggling to take her meds, was able to swallow fruit-flavored Gushers whole. He had the brilliant idea of cutting open a Gusher and sticking the capsule inside.” —Becky
Try an Alternative to Swallowing a Pill

“Instead of taking pills, my stepson uses the Daytrana patch. It is a patch that sticks to his hip. This way, there are no pills to swallow. There are side effects, so check with your doctor.” —prisg

“My son chews his Ritalin. Always has.” —loneprincess76
Try These Methods to Learn How to Swallow a Pill

“Don’t put the pill on your child’s tongue or toward the back of their mouth. Place the pill or capsule under their tongue, off to one side, and then have them drink water with a straw. The natural flow of swallowing is like a wave. It washes the pill right down.” —hoyarn91

“The ‘normal’ way is to put the pill in your mouth, add liquid, and swallow. My way is to put the liquid in my mouth, tilt my head back (so it doesn’t spill out), and drop the pill in. Then I close my mouth and swallow. It works like a charm.” —Greg Ream

“For bad-tasting meds, buy empty gel caps. Put the tablet in the empty capsule to mask the taste.” —hoyarn91

“A friend told me about the Oralflo cup. I ordered it online, and it works like a charm.” —lucym

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
AdultADHD (07-02-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-18, 11:09 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

My daughter did the open capsule poured on things for awhile. Same response, it's making it taste bad and it's bumpy and I can still feel them in my mouth.

I gave her 2 choices. Take the yogurt/ice cream/whatever I sprinkled it on...OR take the pill. She took the pill. She was in second grade.

P.S. My daughter does the fill up her mouth with liquid, then pops the pill in, method of swallowing the pill.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
AdultADHD (07-02-18)
Old 07-02-18, 07:48 PM
Jr Member

AdultADHD has a spectacular aura aboutAdultADHD has a spectacular aura about

Even as an adult, I find the Adderall to have a sickeningly sweet taste that falls just short of masking the terrible medicinal taste and in my mind, makes it taste even worse than if it didn't have sucrose added. It reminds me of someone spraying perfume or cologne to mask body honor instead of just taking the shower to smell clean because you are clean.

I'm trying to think of possible solutions for a five year old that wouldn't just be that same failed attempt to cover the taste, but one that actually neutralizes it.

I had heard of applesauce and oatmeal before, but it looks like there are several other good suggestions provided in this thread already.

I wonder if it would dissolve in hot chocolate?
Old 07-06-18, 02:42 PM

Yes. It is the extended release formulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Is it an extended release medicine? If so, then crushing the pellets would likely turn it into an instant release. And that would probably not be a good idea.
Old 07-06-18, 02:45 PM

Found a patch and chewable option, but the are listed as “6yrs and older”.
: (