ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 11-03-08, 09:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

KatInOuterSpace is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Found out today I was one step above being fired

We had our Midterm performance appraisals today. Earlier in the year I had just found out about my ADD diagnosis and was still testing out meds, I was also very depressed.

Well I found out that I was almost put on a perfomance plan - one step up from being fired. My manager did say that my performance recently has been much improved - thank you Adderall - but I never realized it had been that bad.

I told my manager about my depression but I can't tell her about my ADHD. I could get fired - this is a job where I cannot have anything like that.

The good news is that I am doing much better, but it sucks that I was so close to the bottom. And it sucks that she never said anything before today. I told her that and she agreed, but man. It's not fair.

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong. - Robin Williams

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference!
- Albert Einstein
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KatInOuterSpace For This Useful Post:
ana futura (11-01-13), OTmg90 (03-01-17)
Old 11-03-08, 10:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,635 Times in 884 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Re: Found out today I was one step above being fired

Whew! I'm happy for you that you got a great diagnosis and are doing well on your meds. What a turnaround! :-) You must have some very appreciable qualities for your workplace to "work" with you while you went through this. You are very lucky, indeed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
Circleinthesea (11-04-13), OTmg90 (03-01-17)
Old 11-04-08, 08:48 PM
Forum Guru

blueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant future

What do you do? With *very* few exceptions, it is 100% absolutely positively ILLEGAL for someone to fire you because of your ADHD disability.
The Following User Says Thank You to blueroo For This Useful Post:
illmakeitsomeda (03-07-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-08, 09:03 PM

Thanked 1,016 Times in 671 Posts
pADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to all

what type of job for mid term evals? I work in a med facility and we are evaluated annually. keep your head up your still employed
Old 11-05-08, 08:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

KatInOuterSpace is on a distinguished road

I work in a position where we can't have any kind of mental issue. It deals with high technology and there are lives on the line so they can impose that rule. There is a chance I could fight it, obviously I'm MUCH better on meds, so it could be an exception, but I don't want to find out. If I ever get randomly drug tested then my meds could give me away, but so far that hasn't happened. If it ever does happen, then I'll deal with it then. I can't stress over it now, it may never happen.

But yeah, my job is tied into the government and they can do pretty much watever they want.

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong. - Robin Williams

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference!
- Albert Einstein
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KatInOuterSpace For This Useful Post:
OTmg90 (03-01-17), Unmanagable (11-29-11)
Old 11-06-08, 05:28 PM
Forum Guru

blueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatInOuterSpace View Post
I work in a position where we can't have any kind of mental issue. It deals with high technology and there are lives on the line so they can impose that rule. There is a chance I could fight it, obviously I'm MUCH better on meds, so it could be an exception, but I don't want to find out. If I ever get randomly drug tested then my meds could give me away, but so far that hasn't happened. If it ever does happen, then I'll deal with it then. I can't stress over it now, it may never happen.

But yeah, my job is tied into the government and they can do pretty much watever they want.
Can you not share what you actually do? If you work for the government itself, that might be an exception. But ADHD is not a typical mental illness and if it does not impair your ability to do your job then the fact that you have it is completely irrelevant. Again, working with "high technology" doesn't tell us much and there is no law that says "You can not discriminate by disability unless the job involves high technology".

It may seem like the benefits of keeping this secret are greater than the risks right now, but as you've already found out you nearly lost your job because you are keeping it secret and not getting help. What good is keeping ADHD secret to avoid getting fired if not getting help is putting you on a path to be fired?
Old 11-06-08, 05:48 PM

Thanked 27,268 Times in 13,229 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't read all of these posts - it sounds like things are going to get better; if your boss agreed she was wrong and this conversation was constructive, that's really good!

(I'm quite sensitive to all of these stories about work, I once went through a year of job harassment w/ 3 other colleagues).
Old 11-26-08, 01:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

Location: Mountlake Terrace, Washington, USA, World, Solar System
AnalogDog has a spectacular aura aboutAnalogDog has a spectacular aura about

That was the same with me. But quite frankly, the place became toxic about me too. Glad I left, even if I cannot find a decent job now.
Old 11-29-11, 12:27 AM

MissHope is on a distinguished road

Stef:
"(I'm quite sensitive to all of these stories about work, I once went through a year of job harassment w/ 3 other colleagues)."

Hey stef
May I ask how your situation was with the harassment? I'm going through the same thing right now, including being harassed and in a hostile environment. It's horrible. !
Old 12-01-11, 06:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

full_throttle is just really nicefull_throttle is just really nicefull_throttle is just really nicefull_throttle is just really nice

If you're working for something like the N$A or other goverment agencies with that kind of clout, I'm sure they can take whatever liberties they want in letting you go. They aren't so encumbered by red tape. Probably keeping it to yourself would be the safer option. I hope things get better for you. (=^ ・^=)v
    へ
    じ

"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important."

— Bertrand Russell
Old 11-01-13, 10:30 PM
Contributor

AlexaN is a jewel in the roughAlexaN is a jewel in the roughAlexaN is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatInOuterSpace View Post
We had our Midterm performance appraisals today. Earlier in the year I had just found out about my ADD diagnosis and was still testing out meds, I was also very depressed.

Well I found out that I was almost put on a perfomance plan - one step up from being fired. My manager did say that my performance recently has been much improved - thank you Adderall - but I never realized it had been that bad.

I told my manager about my depression but I can't tell her about my ADHD. I could get fired - this is a job where I cannot have anything like that.

The good news is that I am doing much better, but it sucks that I was so close to the bottom. And it sucks that she never said anything before today. I told her that and she agreed, but man. It's not fair.
I can only say i am happy you do not have to go through what i went through recently and cried here in this forum.
You must be a skilled employee, relax and just keep working like before!

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Old 11-01-13, 10:31 PM
Contributor

AlexaN is a jewel in the roughAlexaN is a jewel in the roughAlexaN is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHope View Post
Stef:
"(I'm quite sensitive to all of these stories about work, I once went through a year of job harassment w/ 3 other colleagues)."

Hey stef
May I ask how your situation was with the harassment? I'm going through the same thing right now, including being harassed and in a hostile environment. It's horrible. !
Miss hope, Oh God, i just finished a saga with such employer....toxic boss, hostile environment which he created, it is indeed horrible, hang in there....

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Old 11-02-13, 04:32 AM

Thanked 27,268 Times in 13,229 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

wow this is an old thread!
and i never answered the question!
my direct boss was great but she quit
and the guy who thought he would get her job, didnt
and the new boss was just pure evil and the guy joined forces with her for revenge on the 4 of us closest to the great boss who had left.

we had planned to move anyway, husband was working near paris already so i got out of there! but it was awful interviewing , my confidence had been shattered. and in fact i had very marketable skills for paris the whole time. (bilingual - lots of english firms with big offices in paris, needing english or american staff).