ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-04, 11:34 PM

Mac is on a distinguished road
Question Question about career

Hello everyone

I'm kinda new at this so I will do the best I can. The problem that I'm asking for help on is I'm thinking about going into advertisting as a career. I want to be on the creative side of the process. My problem is that I have a very hard time with revising a project or whatever I'm working on. I have taken multimedia classes in college but everytime my professor would come. Then say something critical to improve it. I would not want to finish the follow through on my project. In fact, I felt sometimes offended by the comments I recived. I like the creative process of coming up with something new and exciting. Or presenting something in a different way. But I fall apart when the revising comes into play. Any advice? I'm kinda at a lost as to what to do. I basiclly like the start of a project but lost momentum later on.
Thanks,
Mac
The Following User Says Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:
escott (04-24-12)
Old 08-27-04, 09:44 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Energizer_Bunny is on a distinguished road
Hi Mac,

That is typical ADHD behavior as far as loosint your momentum. You may do well at directing a project or overseeing a project or working in groups of 2 or more people. Because sometimes when I loose my motivation, if I am around someone that has the motivation, it helps me get going again.

There is a book called ADHD and Creativity by Lynn Weiss, Ph.D. There was one section in the book that I really enjoyed. For example, it talked about when you were say in the first grade and the teacher gave you a pumpkin to color. Well a pumpkin is orange but you decide you want to color it purple. The teacher tells you no, you can't color it purple because a pumpkin is orange. See the teacher has already started on the process of saying, "Hey, that is not the normal way to do things", or "That is not the normal color of a pumpkin". So basically she/he is taking away from your creativity and it probably kills your self esteem. This is probably what your professor has done and you just don't want to go forward with your idea because he just blew it into the water. I would just tell him thank you, you appreicate the comments and go on about my merry way. Remember that we have to agree to disagree and what you see as excellent work he may not see. The same goes for art......what one persons views as an excellent piece of art, another may think is the ugliest thing they have ever seen before and may not even understand and it is conceived as being artistic. You may want to explain to him what I just said and talk to him on the side or like I said thank him for the comments and keep on going the way your were and brush it aside.

Good luck Mac and I hope this helps.
Old 08-27-04, 10:32 PM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Egos can be a big issue in the design fields. Also, it's commercial art so ultimately you are doing what someone else wants, not necessarily something interesting to you. But hey, it is creative work & much more interesting compared to other professions so maybe learn to live with a certain amount of that. The people skills are more important in the profession than in school so be aware that'll be part of the job typically.

Or... here's an idea. Try debating them on the issues they're commenting on. Sell them on your way or ask them deep enough about their suggestion until it makes sense to you & refuse to back down until it is really something you can get on board with. Or take their suggestion but re-invent it with yet another twist to make it yours. It is essential to own the task or it's unbearable, I understand that. Maybe this approach will help make something good out of the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulbf For This Useful Post:
escott (04-24-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-12, 10:49 AM
Contributor

escott has disabled reputation
Re: Question about career

Your not the only one this has happened to. My creative ideas were always shot down. Take what you need finish the project and leave the critical advise. Just get through thats all that matters. You'll learn more working than in school.
Old 04-24-12, 06:10 PM
Contributor

Follow through and commitment to the project should always prevail.
Old 04-24-12, 06:11 PM
Contributor

Very good point.
Old 04-24-12, 06:15 PM
Contributor

I would have to say that people that receive constructive criticism because they are struggling take the advice versus others who think they know everything they will brush aside and keep going.
Old 04-24-12, 06:17 PM
Contributor

One gets brought down by people criticizing there work when they think they have a great idea.
Old 04-24-12, 06:32 PM
Contributor

Well then if you the creativity but lack the follow through because of someone else's interpretation is then you will deal with it or get a new job
Old 04-24-12, 06:49 PM
Contributor

Maybe if you worked in a group effort it would be easier to finish.
Old 04-24-12, 06:57 PM
Contributor

Practice your professional follow through. Following through is tough but one can do it if they put their minds to it.
Old 04-24-12, 07:00 PM
Contributor

Maybe you have an add issue that needs medical treatment
Old 04-24-12, 07:26 PM
Contributor

Im not sure that this guy even has add. Just a hard time addressing that his work needs modification.
Old 04-24-12, 08:15 PM
Contributor

You lose confidence in you ability and then refuse to complete the task with efficiency.
Old 04-24-12, 08:19 PM
Contributor

ADHD issue.
Closed Thread