ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-02-10, 09:27 PM

MyBoobah is on a distinguished road
My First Days & a Pottpouri of Questions Regarding Adderall

NOTE: Just to clarify, questions I would like answers/opinions on will be in caps lock. I am not shouting. And I plead patience, I am a worrier by nature, and have read a ton of posts, I just like clarification. Most of these questions relate to Adderall, that is why I have posted here.

I have ADHD diagnosed at age 15, and it has been untreated for 14 years. After doing terribly in my first year of college (at age 28), and stress and anxiety ruling my life due to ADHD, I decided I needed help. I was prescribed 10mg IR (Generic, Target). As some of you may have read in a previous post I was terrified to take it, due to a brief love affair with cocaine 5-6 years ago.

My prescribing Doctor (neurologist, I have tension headaches/AVM) suggested it to relieve my tension headaches, from not being able to concentrate on one thing and as a result, worrying and experiencing these headaches. HAVE OTHERS WITH ADHD EXPERIENCED TENSION HEADACHES AS A RESULT OF NOT BEING ABLE TO CONCENTRATE?

Prescribing Doctor and Pharmacist suggested I only take it as needed, on school/work days, take weekends off, etc. Primary Doctor's nurse said I should take it every single day, as my body needs to get used to it. I would MUCH rather take it only on days I need it. HOW DO YOU USE IT AND WHY?

So I took it finally last week. I am a night owl, so I took my first 10mg dose at 1:00 pm. I instantly had an increased heartrate, but I felt, well, good! I went from sitting on the couch on the laptop, to running errands, basically getting done what I would normally accomplish in a few days, or put off for no reason whatsoever. I didn't feel 'high', just good. It was so strange! I am a very private person, a little introverted and grumpy, easily irritated, and tend to keep problems to myself. I found myself calling my sister and best friend, chatting their ears off, even discussing problems in my relationship, which I NEVER do. I felt a little guilty and regretful after. I took my second dose at 5:00 pm. I laughed and had a great night with my daughter. NOTE: I am not depressed, honestly, this is just my personality. I have been described as a b**** many times by people who aren't close to me. Not that I try to be, I'm just me I guess. With ADHD, I always find myself kind of in my own head, I'm not used to being a 'sharer'. ANYONE ELSE WITH ADHD FIND THEMSELVES "IN THEIR HEAD" OFTEN?

I took a few days off, I had a weekend full of get togethers with family and friends, and knew I would be drinking, so I avoided it. TO THE DRINKERS OUT THERE: IF YOU DRINK ON ADDERALL, HOW DOES IT EFFECT YOU?

So this morning, I had breakfast with family, and spoke with my aunt about the medication and my hesitancy at taking it. She said the most amazing thing: "If you were diabetic, would you take insulin?" That comment kind of floored me. So I took a dose of Adderall right then and there, and decided to have another go. Within 30 minutes I was sharing, reminiscing, joining the conversation. I even agreed to run the cousin I LOATHE on errands, and found myself kind of enjoying it. I had an enjoyable conversation with my boyfriend, instead of worrying about if he's mad at me, oh I need to take the dog outside, my daughter is bugging me, there are worms in the garden... I feel GOOD!

While waiting outside for my cousin on one such errand, I had a moment, and I almost cried. One reason I was hesitant to medicate is because I don't want to lose 'My Normal'. I didn't want to be dependant on something, or get used to feeling a certain way, and having to wean off of it for whatever reason. But what if the positive things I am getting out of Adderall ARE my intended normal? Can life really be like this? Can I really be motivated, not annoyed, caring, and feel feeling better? Can I really be unstressed, carefree, and have no tension headaches? And then the inevitable WHY can't I just be like this on my own? Is this really what my life is now? I feel guilt, and a little ashamed.

And I will spare the CAPS on this one... Can Adderall really address moodiness like this? Is it normal to have not only better concentration, but calm me, and elevate my mood? I know it isn't a cure all, and I will have to struggle sometimes, but after today, and letting go of worry, is this it? Can it be this good? Who else has experienced this 'Euphoria', for lack of a better term, from taking Adderall?

Thanks again ahead of time, and please, forgive the long-winded approach and randomness. I do have ADHD afterall.
Old 08-05-10, 03:23 AM

MyBoobah is on a distinguished road
Re: My First Days & a Pottpouri of Questions Regarding Adderall

Really? Nothing? :/
Old 08-05-10, 11:01 AM
Contributor

fropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the rough

Hi Boobah,

Adderall calms me down too, and it also puts me in an overall good mood.
HOWEVER...on certain days it also makes me irritable, but luckily that's pretty rare. It also tends to be unreliable. Somedays it's like I didn't take my meds at all, even though I did.

I take mine almost everyday. I don't take it on Sunday's cuz I don't do anything and really aren't around anyone. I use it to concentrate at work, but it also makes me more outgoing and cheerful.

I don't get tension headaches, but I do have GAD, which I take Celexa for. I also am I drinker. I haven't had any side-effects or anything from drinking on Adderall, except that if I come off my meds and I'm drunk...DO NOT **** me off!!

I understand your thoughts on "Why can't I be this way without meds?" I thought about that at first too, but well, does it really matter? If meds are what you need to help you out, then that is perfectly OK.

If I were though...I'd be Cashews.

But Daddy, I WANT IT NOW!!!-vercua salt
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-10, 03:50 AM
Contributor

quirkyscrawler will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoobah View Post
NOTE: Just to clarify, questions I would like answers/opinions on will be in caps lock. I am not shouting. And I plead patience, I am a worrier by nature, and have read a ton of posts, I just like clarification. Most of these questions relate to Adderall, that is why I have posted here.

I have ADHD diagnosed at age 15, and it has been untreated for 14 years. After doing terribly in my first year of college (at age 28), and stress and anxiety ruling my life due to ADHD, I decided I needed help. I was prescribed 10mg IR (Generic, Target). As some of you may have read in a previous post I was terrified to take it, due to a brief love affair with cocaine 5-6 years ago.

Are you in counseling/talk therapy also by any chance? It might be helpful to discuss this with someone. I never had a problem with anything that was physically addictive, but I did go through a period of heavy LSD and ecstasy use, and I think a large part was that they did have stimulant properties that made me feel better (but of course, there's a lot of other stuff that comes along with these drugs, lol). I was worried that I wouldn't be prescribed Adderall actually, because of my substance issue. However, I have found that being on meds makes me extra cautious of these things, because I don't know what sort of consequences mixing substances can have. Furthermore, it seemed that I was self-medicating with those substances, and now that I have these meds, I don't need to do that anymore.

My prescribing Doctor (neurologist, I have tension headaches/AVM) suggested it to relieve my tension headaches, from not being able to concentrate on one thing and as a result, worrying and experiencing these headaches. HAVE OTHERS WITH ADHD EXPERIENCED TENSION HEADACHES AS A RESULT OF NOT BEING ABLE TO CONCENTRATE?

Prescribing Doctor and Pharmacist suggested I only take it as needed, on school/work days, take weekends off, etc. Primary Doctor's nurse said I should take it every single day, as my body needs to get used to it. I would MUCH rather take it only on days I need it. HOW DO YOU USE IT AND WHY?

I think different docs have different opinions on this. My doc thinks it's better to take something everyday, consistently...so that your body is used to it. I suppose too much instabilty in the concentration levels of these meds in your blood or whatever (however it works - sorry, I'm not very well-versed in the medical terminology), can cause problems. If your doc says to take it as needed and you feel more comfortable doing that, then perhaps that's the way to go?

So I took it finally last week. I am a night owl, so I took my first 10mg dose at 1:00 pm. I instantly had an increased heartrate, but I felt, well, good! I went from sitting on the couch on the laptop, to running errands, basically getting done what I would normally accomplish in a few days, or put off for no reason whatsoever. I didn't feel 'high', just good. It was so strange! I am a very private person, a little introverted and grumpy, easily irritated, and tend to keep problems to myself. I found myself calling my sister and best friend, chatting their ears off, even discussing problems in my relationship, which I NEVER do. I felt a little guilty and regretful after. I took my second dose at 5:00 pm. I laughed and had a great night with my daughter. NOTE: I am not depressed, honestly, this is just my personality. I have been described as a b**** many times by people who aren't close to me. Not that I try to be, I'm just me I guess. With ADHD, I always find myself kind of in my own head, I'm not used to being a 'sharer'. ANYONE ELSE WITH ADHD FIND THEMSELVES "IN THEIR HEAD" OFTEN?

I've always been off in my head daydreaming or caught up in a flight of ideas, harharhar. In terms of Adderall though, I've gone through different phases with it. I used to be really irritable and antisocial on it. That went away after a while, fortunately. It's also helped that recently I've been going out with friends more, with this medication situation, so I'm learning how to handle myself and side effects that may arise. I think I was also worried that I had become a different person, and that my friends wouldn't feel comfortable being around me. I have not found this to be the case so far. The only thing that sucks really is when the medication starts to wear off and I experience anxiety (which I take Klonopin for)...It's also important to stay hydrated while you are out. I imagine that if you were going clubbing or something, this would be hard to do. These days my meds put me in a really good mood in the morning. I think I should try to get up earlier actually, because for some reason I'm just a lot moodier/unmotivated at night.

I took a few days off, I had a weekend full of get togethers with family and friends, and knew I would be drinking, so I avoided it. TO THE DRINKERS OUT THERE: IF YOU DRINK ON ADDERALL, HOW DOES IT EFFECT YOU?

Sorry for my long responses, but you have raised some great concerns/questions. I used to drink a lot (like 3-4 drinks a day maybe - well, maybe this isn't a lot for some people but when you chug a bottle of cheap wine that can get you pretty hammered)...My relationship to alcohol has changed in the past year, partly because I had a bad experience drinking on a med and experienced a panic attack...I think though, that I get anxious anytime I put an additional substance into my body or I don't have enough medication in my system, and this creates anxiety for me. Last night I had sushi with a friend though, and we ordered sake. I mainly sipped it and I was fine. Basically what my doc said was that I could have 1 or 2 drinks, but don't get drunk. But it really depends on what meds you're on. For instance, if I drank with my Klonopin, it would only make me sleepy.

So this morning, I had breakfast with family, and spoke with my aunt about the medication and my hesitancy at taking it. She said the most amazing thing: "If you were diabetic, would you take insulin?" That comment kind of floored me. So I took a dose of Adderall right then and there, and decided to have another go. Within 30 minutes I was sharing, reminiscing, joining the conversation. I even agreed to run the cousin I LOATHE on errands, and found myself kind of enjoying it. I had an enjoyable conversation with my boyfriend, instead of worrying about if he's mad at me, oh I need to take the dog outside, my daughter is bugging me, there are worms in the garden... I feel GOOD!

While waiting outside for my cousin on one such errand, I had a moment, and I almost cried. One reason I was hesitant to medicate is because I don't want to lose 'My Normal'. I didn't want to be dependant on something, or get used to feeling a certain way, and having to wean off of it for whatever reason. But what if the positive things I am getting out of Adderall ARE my intended normal? Can life really be like this? Can I really be motivated, not annoyed, caring, and feel feeling better? Can I really be unstressed, carefree, and have no tension headaches? And then the inevitable WHY can't I just be like this on my own? Is this really what my life is now? I feel guilt, and a little ashamed.

Hmm...it seems that you are experiencing a bunch of different emotions here. How would you describe your "Normal?" I think another way of looking at the situation that might help is to ask yourself how you would like to live your life, what goals you'd like to achieve, and if you think the Adderall would help you with that. Different people have different "Normals." What's important is assessing functionality, according to YOU. For instance, I have a hard time concentrating on reading without Adderall, and reading is a big part of what I want to do career-wise, and this means a lot to me. If I didn't care about reading or chose a different profession, maybe I wouldn't need to be medicated.

And I will spare the CAPS on this one... Can Adderall really address moodiness like this? Is it normal to have not only better concentration, but calm me, and elevate my mood? I know it isn't a cure all, and I will have to struggle sometimes, but after today, and letting go of worry, is this it? Can it be this good? Who else has experienced this 'Euphoria', for lack of a better term, from taking Adderall?

Adderall has helped with my mood at times, but it is not consistent in this unfortunately. I experienced euphoria in the beginning, but it faded away for the most part after the first few times. I do have a very positive mood in the morning, but I think that has to do with my circadian rhythms...also because I am well-rested and have energy to tackle a new day, I have a cup of coffee, and I also take Lamictal. My mood/motivation seems to dwindle as the day progresses.

Thanks again ahead of time, and please, forgive the long-winded approach and randomness. I do have ADHD afterall.
Sorry for my long-winded responses. :-)