ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 07-28-10, 02:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Carth is on a distinguished road
Are these 2 meds from Barr the same thing?

From the company Barr. Are the dextroamphetamine SR caps the SAME as their 5mg tabs?

Will the SR caps give the same type of nasty, dizzy, sick and sleepy feeling just like their tablets?
Old 07-28-10, 02:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 8,347 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are these 2 meds from Barr the same thing?

Nope, now I personally prefer the tabs, and there is one important question, did you take it on an empty stomach? there are those here who take them on an empty stomach and suffer no ill effects, but if I tryed that ....eeesh ....I'd be nauseaous for the rest of the day ......

......so if that's the case give them a try on a full stomach ...

the caps hardly work for me at all, but they are a different composition, not sure exactly what the difference is......maybe buffered ? and they are considerabbly more expensive.....almost twice

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
Old 07-28-10, 02:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

The caps make me ill. No matter what I do. And believe me..I tried every method possible. They suck! No better way to put it. They make me sleepy, weak, dizzy etc etc.
The bottle says "may cause drowsiness or dizziness". May?! No! It will!

The question remains. Are the tabs the same as the SR capsules? If so...I'm not going to take them. And the bottle on the SR caps says the same thing! May cause.....nvm...just thinking about it makes me.....
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-10, 01:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

Seriously. No one can tell me anything here?
Old 08-02-10, 10:30 PM

ccs714 is on a distinguished road

The Tablets are immediate release, the caps are time release.
Old 08-02-10, 10:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

Yes I know. But are they the same chemical? Are they made the same way? If they are the same thing (just one is IR and the other SR), then there is no reason to take it. Either way... I will feel like crap. Just like most people do on the IR version of Barrs brand.
Old 06-16-12, 08:21 AM

Mistyc1313 is on a distinguished road

Oh god I quite the Adderall XR caps recently switched to all IR before I was on 20mg Xr in am and 1 20mg IR broke in half for 2 doses lunch n dinner. The Capules did not give me the energy I did not feel like it was working until bedtime then I would not sleep all night. I felt like it was very inconsistent it would work 30 mins then stop then work again but honey when it was time to lay down at night even if I took it at ex. 7:00am it would be 2:30 and still up 5:00am and still up. I still got my last bottle I just took the IRs I had once a day for a month. Now I am self pay doctor and meds I have no insurance sucks but good thing is I'm no longer gonna ever be on then again! Now my doctor put me on 20mg IR tablets 3 times a day bc I'm not on XR. Plus with XR there is a lot if stuff you can't eat it messes it up and won't work with coffee, soda, tea(Ni Caffeine) or acidy drinks and some foods. I found I list of a diet that makes XR work better and what not to eat but need to find link. Now different things work for different people just bc it did not work for me or others don't mean it won't for you. Try it and if not let your doctor know that it's doing certain things to you and u want to get on or back on tablets. Food luck
Old 06-16-12, 08:34 AM

Mistyc1313 is on a distinguished road

Oh the XR version contains 4 different amps or salts I think the regular is formulated different pretty sure bc I read it somewhere plus Xr has a lot of diff binders and fillers it releases 10mg upon taking and 10mg in about 4 hours (20mg example) do basically half dose now half 4 hours later. If u was On say 5mg tablet now on 5 mg XR I hope he upped you to 10mg Pill of XR bc if not your only getting a steady dose of 2.5 mg not 5mg. I am on Barr generic now can't afford brand name IR no insurance but I think the worse adderall IR tablets I've had is Walgreens Corepharma teeth grinding all night and when coming down, had anxiety at night so bad I thought I was having a breakdown. Now in this Barr I've noticed something that does worry me I have great bp 106/69 yesterday before I started bare now no clue lol never has bad BP in my life no history of heart problems at all I have had Shire, Corepharma, Sandoz, and now Barr and have yet to experience what I'm about to tell u on any of the others not even on the awful Corepharma and never any issues on Shire. I am getting every once Ina while today little pains somewhere in my chest no tightness, or breathing problems, not sure if it's in heart area no arm pain. It comes n goes only on Barr. I have had Barr 20mg IR many times and always this problem I got friend he is on it same Barr said he never got it. Please someone guys have any of you got this in the Barr brand it can't just be me ? Let me know someone sorry to bring it up on your thread but saw u was complaining about Barr needing some info on this weird Symprom only Barr gives me Good luck on meds
Old 06-18-12, 10:26 AM
Contributor

AddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
The caps make me ill. No matter what I do. And believe me..I tried every method possible. They suck! No better way to put it. They make me sleepy, weak, dizzy etc etc.
The bottle says "may cause drowsiness or dizziness". May?! No! It will!

The question remains. Are the tabs the same as the SR capsules? If so...I'm not going to take them. And the bottle on the SR caps says the same thing! May cause.....nvm...just thinking about it makes me.....
If you aren't on the correct dose or the drug dextroamphetamine isn't for you; I'll be more than happy to take them off your hands so you don't have to endure those sucky, crappy, pills. Okay, I'll answer your question too; The pills last 3hrs max and are regular release, SR is an acronym for sustained-release, therefor; providing a longer duration of five hrs, give or take twenty-minuts. "Are the tabs the same as SR capsules?If so...I'm not going to take them. And the bottle on the SR caps says the same thing!" answer= NO ...hhrrmm, I guess this means you're going to take them...?

Assuming you've taken d-amp before, I'd think you'd have first-hand experience with barr's d-amp, being they are the only manufacturer of IR (immediate-release) within four years. It's so difficult finding d-amp in any form, I consider a sacrilege to just 'chunk' the pills. I just don't understand why you wouldn't give the meds a couple days; for, I'm certain it's simply a dosing issue, rather than some agenda to make sucky, crappy pills.

On the other hand; assuming, you have never been rxed dex, please don't have a pre-conceived notion regarding the pills efficacy, for they're too many factors to consider that can alter the response (e.g. , diet, exercise , urine ph, etc.).

Try finding optimal dosage is my empirical advice concerning this conundrum, and don't forget: the side- effects you've mentioned are normal (i.e., If I ingest too much or too little, I get very sleepy ). A faster acting medicine will need a lesser dose than an SR,XR. Best of luck

Last edited by AddYourAll; 06-18-12 at 10:45 AM..
Old 06-18-12, 02:16 PM

CottonCandy_12 is on a distinguished road

I found the Barr 5 mg dextroamphetamine tabs I got in December really helpful. The next time Costco gave me Barr 10 mg d-amp tabs to split in half. They were horrible. I felt like my brain was full of plaster dust. I felt dazed, stuporous, unable to concentrate, far worse than baseline. So my doctor put me on 5 mg d-amp spansules barr which made me exhausted for 6 hours to the point where I was trying to study and could just barely read 12 pages an hour. I tried taking two one day and my heart started really working hard.... Not fast but forcefully. I got nervous and had no concentration. As it wore off I was crippled with exhaustion. So she just put me on adderal XR and ir for evenings. It's good, but studying on dex 5 mg tabs was wonderful for me. I liked what I was studying b/c of the dex, which made me learn more and get done faster. I'm hoping eventually to do adderal xr in am and dex in the evenings. I'm more tense on adderal and I look like a chipmunk because my jaw muscles are so tight all the time. Adderal relieves the pain somewhat....ironically.... b/c it is causing it too! So there you have my experience with two versions of dex and 5 mg spansules.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CottonCandy_12 For This Useful Post:
425runner (08-01-12), FocusPocus10 (07-30-12)
Old 07-05-12, 01:18 PM

I just wanted to say that I later just took the whole 10 mg barr dex IR tab and it worked, so I think that maybe the 10 mg tabs are a little bit weaker than two 5 mg tabs, so when I only took half of the 10 mg tabs I might not have been getting the equivalent dose as one 5 mg tab--and thought it didn't work. Plus I might have been building up some tolerance to that small dose anyway.
Old 07-29-12, 04:05 PM

So I am going to ask my doctor about another rx for the 5 mg tabs. Last time she did prescribe them for me but my Costco didn't have them. They also didn't have them the time before that. Maybe it was because I had only taken them regularly for a couple weeks before I got the 10 mg tabs, but I feel like I had more motivation on them, could read better, and could write better. I'm going to call my Costco before my doctors appt this week to see if they even have the 5 mg tabs. I didn't call any other pharmacies last time...and just let them give me the 10 mg ones. I was wondering if the 5 mg tabs are harder to find these days than the 10 mg ones?
Old 07-30-12, 04:48 PM
Contributor

FocusPocus10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonCandy_12 View Post
So I am going to ask my doctor about another rx for the 5 mg tabs. Last time she did prescribe them for me but my Costco didn't have them. They also didn't have them the time before that. Maybe it was because I had only taken them regularly for a couple weeks before I got the 10 mg tabs, but I feel like I had more motivation on them, could read better, and could write better. I'm going to call my Costco before my doctors appt this week to see if they even have the 5 mg tabs. I didn't call any other pharmacies last time...and just let them give me the 10 mg ones. I was wondering if the 5 mg tabs are harder to find these days than the 10 mg ones?
Cotton: you were onto something before, they are different. The 5mg work, the 10mg make me sick, sleepy, tired, etc etc. Use the 5mg. Better yet, get the brand spansules if you are alright with time release. So smooth.
The Following User Says Thank You to FocusPocus10 For This Useful Post:
CottonCandy_12 (07-31-12)
Old 07-31-12, 10:12 PM

FocusPocus10--thanks for your post. I was able to get the 5 mg tabs today. Took one this afternoon. I do perceive a subtle motivating mood boost from just 5 mg.......$39 for 120 five mg barr tabs at Costco....can't be beat. I don't have insurance.
Old 08-07-12, 11:42 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Seriously. No one can tell me anything here?
Both the IR version and SR version of Dexedrine contain the Same Active Chemical.

The release mechanism of the IR version and SR version are what make the two forms different.

Also, Ingredients used to make the two different formulations i.e. Binders/Fillers

Barr Pharmaceutical Company is a sub-division under TEVA Pharmaceuticals Inc.

Teva Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients a.k.a. TAPI supplies the majority of TEVA's generic drugs. They are a stand alone business unit of TEVA.

Hope that answered your question