ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 04-09-19, 10:38 PM

DukeSunflow has a spectacular aura aboutDukeSunflow has a spectacular aura about
Finally, an explanation?

I am here because a few weeks ago I read a post on Twitter about ADD that spoke to me. I was someone who always believed that ADD meant you bounced off walls and couldn't focus on anything, which was not who I was.

But here were some things that stood out for me:

Disorganized in school. Messy.
Had trouble getting started. Had trouble finishing. Thrived working at the last minute.
Good drink a ton of caffeine and fall asleep. (Weird)
Anxiety issues.
Ability to hyperfocus on things that engaged me.
Struggle with things that didn't.
Tough time with long term projects.

I was a great student, graduated summa cum laude from college, got out, and promptly felt mediocre. I've gone from job to job within the same company and usually have felt burned out and frustrated feeling my talents aren't being used.

I procrastinate frequently, not wanting to tackle the most serious stuff because it seems like a struggle.

My disorganization, anxiety, and being prone to frustration have been a struggle in my relationships.

I always assumed from my educational success that there was something inherently flawed in me (or simply bad luck) that I hadn't achieved more.

I also left the relative safety of my parents (who saw I got good grades and didn't fret about me too much) to the work world and married life, where procrastination, living inside your head, and other traits are a problem for others.

So I'm not sure where to go from here for a proper diagnosis. I've been coming to a counselor (not an MD) for depression and anxiety, but I'm assuming I need an MD to help me. Is there a good tool to help me find a doctor, and more importantly, do a little more self exploration before I go so that I can make sure the doctor has all the information she needs?

Thanks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DukeSunflow For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-10-19), namazu (04-10-19), PoppnNSailinMan (04-14-19), psychopathetic (04-11-19)
Old 04-10-19, 01:13 AM
Contributor

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough
Re: Finally, an explanation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeSunflow View Post
Is there a good tool to help me find a doctor, and more importantly, do a little more self exploration before I go so that I can make sure the doctor has all the information she needs?

Thanks.
I remember some self-test qestionnairs in adhd books, they may let you recall things important for the diagnosis, like where you staggered in life, what other conditions may be present, etc.
Old 04-11-19, 04:36 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,991 Times in 15,295 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I did a quick google search and came up with these...
Quote:
Sullivan Psychiatric Group
(13) Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 451-5121
Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
UofL Physicians-Psychiatry
(11) Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 588-4450
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Tasch Bruce J MD
(2) Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 899-9560
DIRECTIONS
River City Psychiatry
(13) Mental health clinic
Louisville, KY
(502) 425-6690
Closed ⋅ Opens 8:30AM
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Terry Hagan MD
(36) Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 326-3011
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Alphonso Nichols, M.D.
(3) Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 339-2442
Open ⋅ Closes 7PM
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Dr. Michael B. Thompson, MD
No reviews Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 425-6690
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Kentucky Psychiatric and Mental Health Services
(4) Mental health clinic
Louisville, KY
(502) 339-2442
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Integrative Psychiatry PLLC
(3) Mental health clinic
Louisville, KY
(502) 327-7701
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Schoenbachler Ben J MD
(2) Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 562-3000
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Dr. David A. Casey, MD
No reviews Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 813-6200
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Dr. F. Allen Walker: Louisville ADHD
(19) Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 384-2343
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Next Step 2 Mental Health
(9) Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 339-2442
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Dr. Bhupendra K. Gupta, MD
(23) Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 895-6368
Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Dr. Eric F. Lydon, MD
(3) Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 894-6066
Closed ⋅ Opens 10AM
DIRECTIONS
Depression Center
No reviews Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 813-6600
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
David E Kissel, MD
No reviews Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 479-4433
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Schrodt Christopher MD
(5) Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 630-2052
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Glean-Francia Angelita MD
(8) Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 394-0101
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Dr. Michael R. Harris, MD
No reviews Psychiatrist
Louisville, KY
(502) 454-8800
Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-19, 11:25 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,918 Times in 7,908 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it great to find out that you're not just being dumb? That you're not alone in your struggles? That there's legitimate explanations behind your struggles and that you're not just making things hard for yourself?

(((Hugs)))

Finding a proper 'name' for my struggles that have affected every aspect of my life since I can remember...has been HUGE for me and my self-esteem.
I always felt so broken, and I was convinced that no one could ever possibly relate to me.
Then I somehow bumped into a description of ADD...and wow!
Then randomly wondering my way to these forums...it was amazing! I was reading post after post from people about the exact kinds of struggles I go through...struggles I could've swore only I dealt with!
I've always felt so dumb and ridiculous...but now I don't so much. Now I know I'm not just making this stuff up. It's not that I'm just a lousy human...There's a legit reason why I am the way I am, and it's not my fault.

I think it's awesome that you've found some answers to things you've had to struggle with your whole life.
You don't struggle alone!
You're not stupid or dumb.
You're not making this crap up.
This is not your fault.

I'd bring it up with your counselor if you feel comfortable in doing so. If they don't think they can determine if you've got ADD...they might be able to refer you to someone who can (that's what happened with me).

(((((((Hugs)))))))

And welcome to the forums!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.