ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Research
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Research Current medical research projects from not-for-profit organizations may be found in this forum. Posts in this section require Forums Staff Approval

Old 07-18-07, 01:17 PM
Jr Member

GiftedMenace will become famous soon enough
Do you watch TV?

I grew up in a household where television was sacred. My mother (till this day) records her soaps while she's at work and watches them every night. We would sit faithfully in front of the tv for hours. There was a point in time where I stopped watching television for almost a year and that was an experience! I can honestly say my mind was more clear although I was focused on something else...it's like an addiction...I had to find something else to put my energy into....

So I was watching this guy Michael Tsarion and his theory video's called "Hidden Persuaders: The Subversive Use of Symbolic Symbolism in the Media" (google it if you're into conspiracy theories; its a 6 part series for all those who like to hyper focus like me) interesting stuff, though it may be over the top for some...

Anyway, in it he mentions how we are becoming a nation of people who are being contolled by symbolism used in the media to control our minds and change the way we think and this is starting with the children . The constant changes and frames in the commercials causes us to think on a quick, frame by frame manner.

So I was wondering if any of you have grown up watching television excessively...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

IS EXCESSIVE TELEVISION VIEWING IN CHILDREN LINKED TO ADHD? Watching too much television has been implicated in increased violent behavior and obesity in young children, and now there is evidence that it may promote inattention. Researchers have found that television exposure in children ages 1 to 3 is associated with attention problems at age 7. Furthermore, the investigators concluded that each hour of television watched per day increases these children’s risk of attention problems, such as attention- deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), by almost 10% at age 7.

Based on these findings, lead investigator Carolyn A. McCarty, PhD, and colleagues advised that efforts to limit television viewing in early childhood may be warranted. “Using a nationally representative survey sample, we found a significant association between the amount of television watched between ages 1 and 3 and subsequent attentional problems at age 7,” Dr. McCarty told NEUROPSYCHIATRY REVIEWS. “These results held when controlling for other factors that might explain this association, such as the amount of cognitive stimulation in the home.” Dr. McCarty is a Research Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Adjunct Research Assistant Professor of Psychology at the University of Washington in Seattle.

The findings are consistent with the American Academy of Pediatrics’ recommendation that parents not allow their children younger than 2 to watch television because of concerns that it affects early brain growth and the development of social, emotional, and cognitive skills. The American Academy of Pediatrics also encourages parents to exert caution—such as setting limits on television viewing, helping children develop media literacy skills to question, analyze, and evaluate television messages, and taking an active role in their children’s television viewing—in children older than 2. Although previous cross-sectional research has suggested that television viewing may be associated with decreased attention spans in children, longitudinal data of early television exposure and subsequent attention problems have been lacking, according to Dr. McCarty and colleagues.

THE MEDIUM IS THE MESSAGE

The researchers sought to test the hypothesis that early television exposure (at ages 1 and 3) is associated with attention problems at age 7. They used the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth, a representative longitudinal data set, and the main outcome was the hyperactivity subscale of the Behavioral Problems Index determined for all participants at age 7. The main predictor was hours of television watched daily at ages 1 and 3. The study controlled for other attributes of the home environment, including cognitive stimulation and emotional support. Children who were rated as 1.2 or more standard deviations above the mean were classified as having attention problems.

“Attention problems include impulsivity, restlessness, and difficulty concentrating,” explained Dr. McCarty. “We did not use a diagnostic test to assess whether the children had clinically evident ADHD but instead looked at the degree of attention problems their parents reported they had.”

Data were available for 1,278 children at age 1 and for 1,345 children at age 3. Children ages 1 to 3 were chosen to participate because their brains are still developing rapidly, and symptoms of attention problems, such as ADHD, do not typically manifest in children until later years, noted Dr. McCarty. The investigators found that children watched an average of 2.2 hours of television per day at age 1 and 3.6 hours per day at age 3. Ten percent of children subsequently developed attention problems at age 7. In a logistic regression model, hours of television viewed per day at both ages 1 and 3 was associated with attention problems at age 7.

TIME TO TURN OFF THE TELEVISION?

“Our results have some important implications if replicated in future studies,” the researchers summarized in the April issue of Pediatrics. “First, we added inattention to the previously studied deleterious consequences of excessive television viewing, including violent behavior and obesity. Second, our findings suggest that preventive action can be taken with respect to attentional problems in children. Limiting young children’s exposure to television as a medium during formative years of brain development consistent with the American Academy of Pediatrics’ recommendations may reduce children’s subsequent risk of developing ADHD.”

ET TU, MISTER ROGERS?

Dr. McCarty’s team did not distinguish among different types of content of television programs in their study. “This study was designed to look at the impact of television as a medium rather than the content of programming,” Dr. McCarty pointed out. “It suggests that excessive viewing of television during early development is related to later attentional problems. However, we cannot infer causality based on the design of the study, nor can we surmise what kind of impact television viewing has on individuals later in development. Other research has certainly shown that some educational programs, such as ‘Sesame Street’ and ‘Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood,’ may be beneficial to the cognitive and creative development of school-aged children. However, no previous studies have looked at television viewing during the infant and toddler years, as we have. Clearly, our study has highlighted the need for more research to better understand the impact of media exposure on child development.”

AN “IMPORTANT” STUDY

In an editorial appearing in the same issue of Pediatrics, Jane M. Healy, PhD, called the study “important and long overdue. Approximately three decades ago, teachers of young children at all socioeconomic levels began to report troubling changes in their students, mainly centering on decreasing abilities to listen, pay attention, and engage in independent problem solving,” she reported. “Frequently, the teachers blamed the advent of fast-paced, attention-getting children’s programming for this trend. Now that the trend is viewed nationally as an ‘epidemic’ of ADHD, perhaps it is indeed time to ask the research questions so ably initiated by Christakis et al and to consider that pediatricians may have yet one more job to do in early parent education about placing limits on screen time.”

—Colby Stong
Suggested Reading
Christakis DA, Zimmerman FJ, DiGiuseppe DL, McCarty CA. Early television exposure and subsequent attentional problems in children. Pediatrics. 2004;113:708-713.
Dennison BA, Erb TA, Jenkins PL. Television viewing and television in bedroom associated with overweight risk among low-income preschool children. Pediatrics. 2002;109:1028-1035.
Healy JM. Early television exposure and subsequent attention problems in children [editorial]. Pediatrics. 2004;113:917-918.
Huesmann LR, Moise-Titus J, Podolski CL, Eron LD. Longitudinal relations between children’s exposure to TV violence and their aggressive and violent behavior in young adulthood: 1977-1992. Dev Psychol. 2003;39:201-221.

Old 11-17-07, 12:52 PM

naturechick80 has a spectacular aura aboutnaturechick80 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Do you watch TV?

Yes, Sesame Street. For hours on end as long as they kept playing it. ADHD/gifted type
Old 11-17-07, 01:42 PM
Forum Guru

blueyeyore is a jewel in the roughblueyeyore is a jewel in the roughblueyeyore is a jewel in the rough

I didn't watch a lot of TV as a child until my best friend moved away, then I would watch TV all day and night in my grandmothers room. A few years later I got a computer; TV hasn't really been on my list of things to do since. So, from 1997 to 1999-2000ish I was big on the TV, but ever since 2000 I've been more interested in the computer. I was diagnosed until this year at 22. So I'm not really sure mine would fall into that area

Lamictal
Wellbutrin
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-07, 05:56 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice

Television comes in episodes for me, when I can get away with it, I will do nothing sometimes but watch television. It's that way with the computer and video games too.
Old 11-17-07, 09:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

NonSequitur is a jewel in the roughNonSequitur is a jewel in the roughNonSequitur is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, most television does come in episodes, Matt.

I know what you mean though, I used to watch a lot of tv and even plan my schedule around it. Now I don't care so much, I'll maybe follow a show or two and if I miss it it's not a tragedy. Now, with the writers on strike, it doesn't matter much to me.

Sometimes I'll have the tv on all day, but it's on a classic movie channel, and I don't really consider that television.
Old 11-19-07, 09:49 AM

MaNaeSWolf has a spectacular aura aboutMaNaeSWolf has a spectacular aura about

TV? a strange concept this.
Neverwas into TV. bored me to death, I can however watch the news and documentories.
But as for 99% of the stuff. . . . well id rather watch my plants grow, and then give each of the new leaves names, and then new names to replace the forgotten names, then Ill build a house for the ants that just moved in .. . . . anything except soaps.
Old 11-19-07, 09:55 AM

maori_boy is on a distinguished road

the only show i watch on tv is bro'town because it is really really really ridiculusly funny. i like prison break but not enough to sit down and watch it.
if im interested in a topic il watch doco and movie and tv programes about it.
lol manae...ants are rather fascinating...mite be taken it a tad to the obsessive tho lol nah jokes

If you aim for the mountains, you will hit the plains, if you aim for the sky, you will hit the mountain peaks, climb up, thrive
to the pathway of knowledge, to achieve excellence,
spiritually, mentally, physically
Old 11-19-07, 10:01 AM

MaNaeSWolf has a spectacular aura aboutMaNaeSWolf has a spectacular aura about

Haha. . . just got ants crawling inside my brain these lst few days. . . . cant get them out, and I seem to intersept each ones thoughts aswell. . . . ohh, look a nice juicy millipede
Old 11-19-07, 10:04 AM

HA yuck..can i drink that stuff and have tomoro off work lol. chur bro u created a new drug free mix lol
nah all jokes

If you aim for the mountains, you will hit the plains, if you aim for the sky, you will hit the mountain peaks, climb up, thrive
Old 11-19-07, 10:07 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

hollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nice

I find the most "popular" TV shows, like reality TV and most sitcoms, so offensively stupid that I will spring across the room like a frightened eland to turn them off. I can manage nature and some talk shows, older movies, the government channel (C-PAC in Canada, C-SPAN in the USA) which has some subtly interesting bits among the droning, and good news and Brit TV. Faux News I equate with reality TV.

But altogether, counting the minutes, I might watch an hour or two a week.

Ducky
Old 11-19-07, 10:24 AM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonSequitur
Yeah, most television does come in episodes, Matt.

I know what you mean though, I used to watch a lot of tv and even plan my schedule around it. Now I don't care so much, I'll maybe follow a show or two and if I miss it it's not a tragedy. Now, with the writers on strike, it doesn't matter much to me.

Sometimes I'll have the tv on all day, but it's on a classic movie channel, and I don't really consider that television.
Yeah but I will leave it off for days and have it on 24/7 for days.
Old 11-19-07, 10:27 AM

is that like a bipolar kinda symptom?

Old 11-19-07, 07:01 PM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,112 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a big TV addict...I don't watch a lot of it as I find it hard to concentrate and the ads really p*ss me too.

Selena
Old 11-20-07, 08:29 PM

NonSequitur is a jewel in the roughNonSequitur is a jewel in the roughNonSequitur is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspen1018
Yeah but I will leave it off for days and have it on 24/7 for days.
I'd probably do that too, if I didn't have a husband attached to the remote control. *lol* Maybe not 24/7, unless I sleep in front of it.
Old 11-20-07, 09:49 PM

mijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure about recent studies - I much prefer older studies that have been proven time and time again. I wouldn't be surprised, though, about the increase in pseudo ADD, but I don't think tying it down to one thing is a good idea. Think about how instantaneous our society is at the moment. Fast foods, internet, movies, video games, etc. It all revolves around instant gratification. So, in a way everyone is training their minds to think like an ADDer. Hopping from this to this to this. It's not just TV that's doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftedMenace
There was a point in time where I stopped watching television for almost a year and that was an experience! I can honestly say my mind was more clear although I was focused on something else...it's like an addiction...I had to find something else to put my energy into....
Yeah, had the same experience, but for two years. It was fantastic. Didn't even go to the movies. I had a lot more time to waste on other things. LOL. Like any ADDer - there's always something that can be made addictive, there's always another hobby that can be turned into a monster.

Please ensure you have read the forum guidelines.
Alternatively you can discover the meaning of life.