ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Research
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Research Current medical research projects from not-for-profit organizations may be found in this forum. Posts in this section require Forums Staff Approval

Old 11-20-07, 10:14 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Re: Do you watch TV?

Um no. Not as a child, nor as an adult. Not recently and certainly not today.

I watch Japanese anime with English subtitles on the computer however. Gives me more to stimulate my brain. Cultural differences, the music played at the opening and closing of the show, the rhythm of a language I do not understand, fantasy storylines that grab my attention, etc.
Old 11-20-07, 11:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

andecala will become famous soon enough

I wach TV every day. It is painful for me to choose to leave it off all day.

Why do you ask?
Old 11-21-07, 07:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Skully has a spectacular aura aboutSkully has a spectacular aura about

I didn't watch TV much as a child. I watched educational shows in the morning, like reading rainbow and seseame street, but other than that, I didn't watch much tv. It was too hot in South Texas to stay in the house watching tv all the time.

Me: "I love french fries with my hamburgers and also milk shakes but I don't like milk because it makes me sick which reminds me I better get my flu shot before I get the flu which dries out my skin but I use jergens which is greasy like fries."

Dr: let me wash my hands before I increase your Adderall.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-07, 07:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

KitKat has a spectacular aura aboutKitKat has a spectacular aura about

I usually don't watch TV b/c it's too distracting for me. I prefer the internet where I determine what I want to see/read, when and for how long. I typically have 25-30 explorer windows open.

DH is addicted to TV so I end up "watching" a lot, most of which I don't follow very well. I have sensory issues with noise and beg him to turn it down, even when it's a show I'm interested in.

Occasionally I tape a show for me to watch. But if DH is out, the TV is off 99% of the time.

I went for a year or 2, from age 13-14 and didn't watch one program. During times of stress I absolutely can not bear to have TV on - completely distracting, annoying and tiresome.
Old 11-25-07, 01:08 AM

Jesse 7.0 will become famous soon enough

I don't even have a television, so no.

I usually find enough entertainment on the internet and television has come to be boring recently.

Water is my eye, most faithful mirror~Massive Attack "Teardrop"

I kill the noise
when it gets too much
When it gets too much
I kill the noise ~DJ SHADOW (featuring Chris James) "Erase You"
Old 11-29-07, 08:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

Honeybunnie8 will become famous soon enough

I always have the TV on weather or not I am watching it. I'm usually watching TV, cooking, on the computer and playing with my animals.
I grew up with the TV on all the time. Use to wake up to political shows or my mom arguing with Pat Buchanan on the 700 Club.

I would fall alseep listening to Britsh Murder Mystery shows, or someother obscure show my mom watched.

I have a few guilty pleasures, but "most" tv I think is retarded. I like the science channels and have an addiction to the disney channel even though I'm definatly bordering on 30ish. That's probably from my mom's love of cartoons, I swear I have seen every flintstones and Jetsons episode 10 times.
Old 11-29-07, 08:12 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice

Quote:
Use to wake up to political shows or my mom arguing with Pat Buchanan on the 700 Club.
Your mom yells at the TV? I thought I was the only one that does it. I yell at the TV when I pay $120 for 200+ channels and there's nothing on. I hate that. I argue with people on the TV too.
Old 11-30-07, 02:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

KittenPoker is on a distinguished road

Oh goodness...I LOVE TV! It's terrible, I know. Monday nights are currently Appointment TV with "How I Met Your Mother," "Heroes," and "The Soup Presents." Tuesdays are reserved for "Reaper." And usually "Countdown" is on in between these shows because I have a wicked huge crush on Keith Olbermann. "Top Gear" is another must-watch from BBC-America. Richard Hammond is a cutey-pie and I'm jealous of all the fast cars they get to drive.

I tell you, Tivo is the best two things in my house. We have a 300 hour HD Tivo on the 50" plasma and an older 80 hour Tivo upstairs on the 37" LCD. It's all hooked up to the network so we can pull shows back and forth between the two boxes.

The TV is almost always on in the house. And here at work I have to have music playing constantly. The quiet drives me nuts!
Old 01-25-09, 08:09 AM
Contributor

movingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nice

no i don't just news sometimes. did when i was a kid.. not anymore never.. don't like tv
Old 01-25-09, 08:32 AM
Contributor

Mantis is a jewel in the roughMantis is a jewel in the roughMantis is a jewel in the rough

TVs are good for 2 things:
1: Playing computer games on
2: Watching DVDs on

This other function it has with channels and things though...no, I don't like that. :P
The Following User Says Thank You to Mantis For This Useful Post:
SB_UK (01-25-09)
Old 01-25-09, 11:33 AM

Thanked 6,502 Times in 4,746 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
TVs are good for 2 things:
1: Playing computer games on
2: Watching DVDs on

This other function it has with channels and things though...no, I don't like that. :P
TVs are good for 0 things

unless they're similar to this
:-)

cost ~ $250

60 inch (100 inches would be ideal, 60'' is fine though) projected screen onto any surface,
ipod sized portable device (good size)
2 hrs battery life (will probably hold out until a 4 hour battery is introduced)
8' (good enough) max projecting distance

the world is changing.

Yay!

cost ~ $150

max stimulation with no physical overhead :-)

we can't watch tv -
because it's boring -

stimulation requires that we move it on up to the next level -
total immersion
feedback
concurrent variety -

this option

becomes a reality for many fold times le$$ than the 'physical world' now legacy equivalent.

Hybridize multiple threads of conscious awareness with VMware -

- and TV sets die -
Old 01-25-09, 11:57 AM

Thanked 6,502 Times in 4,746 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ View Post
TV sets die -
as we enter

~ wireless heaven ~

on Earth.

ref.
A couple of Testaments to progress
Old 01-26-09, 08:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

ustilago will become famous soon enough

David Cronenberg was way ahead of his time when he released videodrome in 1983. . .

Brian O'Blivion
: "The battle for the mind of North America will be fought in the video arena: the Videodrome. The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye. Therefore, the television screen is part of the physical structure of the brain. Therefore, whatever appears on the television screen emerges as raw experience for those who watch it. Therefore, television is reality, and reality is less than television."

Brian O'Blivion: "After all, there is nothing real outside our perception of reality, is there? "

I quit watching television . . . 5 years ago? maybe more, I don't recall. My wife watches TV and the kids are addicted to it. The few minutes per month that I am exposed to television . . . disgust me. I find it intellectually insulting at best. . .
SB_UK (01-26-09)
Old 01-26-09, 11:13 AM

Thanked 1,016 Times in 671 Posts
pADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to all

Turner Classic Movies
Old 01-26-09, 11:32 AM

Thanked 27,491 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I'm kind of addicted! I like to have it on, even if I'm not watching. I love CSI.
I don't think it "causes" ADD; it was never on when I was little until 5:00 pm.
Actually I learned to read from Sesame Street & "the electric company". (my mom read to me every day, too plus since she read a lot I copied her - somehow it all fit together and I could read before school.)