ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should politics remain in Debates
Close Debates 1 5.26%
Keep debates open and REMOVE political discussion 10 52.63%
Keep debates open and MAINTAIN political discussion 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-18, 12:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,041 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: Politics at ADDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
But they are
Yeah Fuzz, I felt that comment went too far too. It's like calling someone stupid. Doesn't matter if they are or aren't it's an insult you shouldn't say.

I was going to suggest just completely separating out politics from the other debates so for sure no one that doesn't want to see politics would see it but there would still be the word politics for those interested in finding the sub (unlike social groups which are unlikely to be found). I thought in this way, everyone could be happy.

But it does seem most people don't want it so if that's the case I'm fine with it being gone too even though I would miss it.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (08-15-18)
Old 08-15-18, 02:56 PM

Thanked 34,062 Times in 15,423 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

moderator note

while i appreciate your interest in how debates is moderated, keep in mind that discussing moderator actions is a violation. as the sole active member who moderates that section currently, if you have questions about why an action was or wasn't taken, you can send that directly to me.

in the meantime, let's keep this thread within guidelines.

cheers,
-peri
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (08-15-18), tudorose (08-23-18)
Old 08-15-18, 06:21 PM

Thanked 30,265 Times in 13,944 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre22 View Post
Thats what i am talking about , we should keep subjective opinions to ourselves , and keep talking about objective ones otherwise result is this poll
By the way i hope you didnt understand me wrong . You are very kind , friendly and supportive
Thanks and no I don't mind you calling me out on being insulting!

To be honest I think the label probably isn't accurate but genuine question (to acdc as well): if I'd said ultranationalist instead of fascist would that have been more acceptable?

I guess labels are rarely helpful but i guess I was hoping that it would show them how extreme their views really are.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-18, 05:22 AM

Thanked 6,477 Times in 3,092 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't we just remove everything where there is the opportunity of disagreement and conflict. Then we can have nothing left to talk about unless we're all in complete and utter agreement about it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (08-18-18)
Old 08-16-18, 05:27 AM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Thanks and no I don't mind you calling me out on being insulting!

To be honest I think the label probably isn't accurate but genuine question (to acdc as well): if I'd said ultranationalist instead of fascist would that have been more acceptable?

I guess labels are rarely helpful but i guess I was hoping that it would show them how extreme their views really are.

Nationalism and fascism are not synonymous. Nationalism can be driven by fascism however. But it can also be driven by different motives. Anti-nationalism (unionism) can also be driven by fascism through the belief that one nation and it's culture has the right to manipulate and control another through the guise of unity.
Old 08-16-18, 10:58 AM

Thanked 25,979 Times in 12,123 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Nationalism and fascism are not synonymous. Nationalism can be driven by fascism however. But it can also be driven by different motives. Anti-nationalism (unionism) can also be driven by fascism through the belief that one nation and it's culture has the right to manipulate and control another through the guise of unity.
Fuzzy's post you're responding to here doesn't say "nationalist."

She wrote "ultra-nationalist."

Here's what Wiki says about ultra-nationalism:

Quote:
Ultranationalism is an "extreme nationalism that promotes the interest of one state or people above all others", or simply "extreme devotion to one's own nation". Ultranationalism combined with the notion of national rebirth is a key foundation of fascism.
Just clearing this up.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (08-16-18)
Old 08-16-18, 02:35 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

Is it just me, or is the poll about political debates turning into a political debate?
Emre22 (08-16-18), Fraser_0762 (08-16-18), Little Missy (08-16-18), namazu (08-16-18)
Old 08-16-18, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Fuzzy's post you're responding to here doesn't say "nationalist."

She wrote "ultra-nationalist."

Here's what Wiki says about ultra-nationalism:

Just clearing this up.

It basically says that ultra-nationalism has the potential to give birth to fascism, it doesn't say that it is fascism.

I fail to see how a state putting its own interests before any other state could fall under the definition of fascism. Politicians representing a group of people who have voted them in to represent them are simply doing their jobs.
Old 08-16-18, 04:11 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
It basically says that ultra-nationalism has the potential to give birth to fascism, it doesn't say that it is fascism.

I fail to see how a state putting its own interests before any other state could fall under the definition of fascism. Politicians representing a group of people who have voted them in to represent them are simply doing their jobs.
Facsism is used in many ways but I wonder if it can be applied to anything currently because it specifically refers to a particular period in history. So yes, maybe the term I used was not accurate or appropriate.

Promoting and preserving the interests of people living in one country does not have to be done at the cost of other people. In fact, a world where we look after each other rather than fight or exploit each other benefits everyone. It's not a zero sum game. Nationalism does not benefit anyone and the fascists didn't do too well either did they?
Old 08-16-18, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky1 View Post
Is it just me, or is the poll about political debates turning into a political debate?
Oops...sorry
Old 08-16-18, 04:45 PM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

I guess thread was about poll and future of debates, u guys started discussing about kmeanings of terms and details , this is not the point.Probably u guarentee that everything politic will be prohibited in this forum.

I gently want to remind main problem. whatever your definitions are, how you accept them. You can’t insult or humilate anyone.
Old 08-16-18, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre22 View Post
I guess thread was about poll and future of debates, u guys started discussing about kmeanings of terms and details , this is not the point.Probably u guarentee that everything politic will be prohibited in this forum.

I gently want to remind main problem. whatever your definitions are, how you accept them. You canít insult or humilate anyone.
I find this really curious but you are right we can't discuss it here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (08-19-18), Little Missy (08-18-18)
Old 08-18-18, 09:11 AM

Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,041 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I'd like to change my vote to close debates completely.

There's a recent problem imo that I'm not sure moderation can control. It's the fanboyism that is happening now. Where it's more like a religious cult and their support/hate for someone is not backed up with any facts or logic. (i.e. I know he's an honest guy cause his hair is straight - you can't debate that kind of logic. It'd no longer be a "debates" section).

It's really a lie cause straight hair certainly doesn't mean he's honest. But can that be moderated out? Cause if not, the whole politics board is ruined and I don't want the place to turn into a propaganda machine.

So sad. I really liked the debates sections. I neverminded the different ideologies, I actually liked it. But I don't want an irrational cult on our hands.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-18-18), sarahsweets (08-18-18)
Old 08-18-18, 01:57 PM

Thanked 6,462 Times in 4,711 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

You must not shut down debates.

Just don't respond if you don't like the view.

Start a thread - it'll be nice to get into politics and religion.

Just place an individual on Ignore if you don't like what they're saying.

It's a shame that we can't shut down people so easily in real life.

Last edited by namazu; 08-18-18 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: see PM
Old 08-19-18, 01:51 AM

Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,896 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

There are a range of issues in ADHD (such as the way schooling is done, the effects of childcare on ADHD children, whether the schooling system is actually directed at maximisng the actualisation of each child's ability, social welfare etc) that inevitably have a political element to them.

So there will always be some tendency for some discussions to involve political considerations.

Id suggest that discussions around ADHD that have a strong political edge to them should be allowed on the debate forum, but other political discussion shut down.

Equally if there is persistent bad behaviour, after a couple of warnings the user should be evicted fro the forum.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.