ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-18, 04:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all
Do you do better socially working around a lot of people?

Like are you more talkative? I don’t mean all at once, because I would lose my attention span. I guess this would apply to a more the inattentive, spacey, introverted type. Any opinion is welcome though. Sometimes it doesn’t work and I feel a little boring, but it might depend on my energy level and my mood for a different reason.
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
The Following User Says Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (02-12-18)
Old 02-12-18, 05:36 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,204 Times in 14,318 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you do better socially working around a lot of people?

I am truly a social butterfly( thats the label Ive had since grade school). I make friends everywhere (lines at the store, AA, the bank etc). Ive always been friendly. This does not mean I do not suffer from social anxiety sometimes. My ability to be friendly extends to just about everyone but stick me in the middle of an event with not one familiar face and a can easily step on my d***.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
kwalk (02-12-18)
Old 02-12-18, 11:19 AM

Thanked 14,543 Times in 6,492 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk View Post
Like are you more talkative? I don’t mean all at once, because I would lose my attention span. I guess this would apply to a more the inattentive, spacey, introverted type.
I generally like to have more social contact than less when I am at work, but when that comes with constant interruption, and/or I am working on a task that requires intense concentration, I sometimes wish I was alone in an office with a locking door.

Cheers,
Ian
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-18, 01:21 PM

sammyfuji is on a distinguished road

If I know what I'm doing, I'm fine socially. As far as being social at work, humans are the death of me. Customers mainly.. I forget what I'm saying and doing and it's all together a anxiety filled moment of ****. I do love the socialize though, that's the thing. I have to be in a decent mood as well. I choose to work with computers as my main co workers.. and around friends Im very outgoing.
The Following User Says Thank You to sammyfuji For This Useful Post:
kwalk (02-12-18)
Old 02-12-18, 04:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

DeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to behold

It's really strange, as there are periods i can trace back in my life where i am/was very social - even though then small talk was not my big strength - and managed to start conversation with total strangers.

And then there are other periods where just the prospect of having to attend a social gathering makes me feel exhausted and makes me think of any possible argument to not show up.

Also at work i navigate between the butterfly and hermit. Ussually at the start of projects i tend to be very open and chatty, and then i even lead my co-workers through brainstorming sessions and conversations can go anywhere then. When deadlines loom - and i have to force myself into my "completionist" side - i am more like a dark black box and i have a hard time hiding the fact that i want any conversations out of the way as quick as possible, and my sense of humour then is either very sarcastic/dark or just totally gone.

It's almost like having to be in control, be responsible and deliver on schedule brings my anti-social demon up.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeClutter For This Useful Post:
kwalk (02-12-18)
Old 02-12-18, 10:03 PM

Thanked 3,743 Times in 1,906 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Absolutely not. 3 people on a team is my best. meetings with large groups are so boring and difficult to listen too.

I also find that people who spend too much time with me at work start noticing my adhd quirks. Some people don't mind but some get driven crazy by them.

Are we talking just work or in personal life too? I guess it's the same either way for me though. 3 people is the absolute perfect number.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
riteshmisra (04-22-18)
Old 02-17-18, 12:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

Not me. I usually do best one on one. I can manage reasonably well in small groups. I make myself do my best to function in large groups, but I don't like it and it is always an effort. Big groups are soooo distracting, my attention just bounces around the room like a rubber ball. It takes constant effort to even think about where my attention should be focused, let alone convincing my brain to actually stay focused on it. But hey, if socializing in large groups works for you, good for you!
Old 02-19-18, 01:54 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,850 Times in 13,043 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I thrive working around, but not WITH, other people,
A little chatting and socializing can be pleasant,
My busy officemates, who are in a different department, motivate me to complete my own work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
kwalk (02-20-18), Little Missy (02-19-18)
Old 03-30-18, 01:29 PM
ADDvanced Member

excelsior is just really niceexcelsior is just really niceexcelsior is just really niceexcelsior is just really nice

It's funny. I love big crowds of people-but I like to do my own thing! ie dance with a partner, or just bust a move solo!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to excelsior For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-30-18), stef (03-30-18)
Old 03-30-18, 03:50 PM

Urobouros is on a distinguished road

I'm in sales and it's been said that I can have lively conversation with a chair Being social and talkative has always been my nature but can struggle with starting a conversation if I don't know anyone. If I know you, buckle up 'cuz I'm gonna talk your face off
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Urobouros For This Useful Post:
kwalk (03-31-18), PoppnNSailinMan (03-31-18), stef (03-30-18)
Old 03-30-18, 05:56 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,850 Times in 13,043 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I take back what I said, I am weary of Two Colleagues (although one, I like very much)
I'm tired of worrying about their database problems and people making unreasonable requests, and then when they are away, interns wandering in and asking me, where could I find such and such a book or article, andthen I have to say, I'm sorry I'm not in the legal research team.
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
kwalk (03-31-18)
Old 03-31-18, 12:49 AM

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

I’ve found my intitial energy of talking to a lot of people so I had to force myself to start talking again and now I just feel comfortable/ feel like I can keep track of talking to four or so people.
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
Old 03-31-18, 01:33 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
I thrive working around, but not WITH, other people,
A little chatting and socializing can be pleasant,
My busy officemates, who are in a different department, motivate me to complete my own work.
This is kind of how I am. I don't like being totally alone or in a totally quiet environment. I like being in a place where there are people around but without my necessarily having to interact with them except in a very minimal way.

That's why my ideal place for reading or studying is in a café, even a busy or crowded one, where I can sit by myself at a table with a caffè latte or some hot chocolate and occasionally look around and people watch for a few minutes but where I'm not required to talk to anyone most of the time. When I visit Paris, sitting in a nice café with a café crème and reading for a couple of hours is one of my favorite activities.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
stef (03-31-18)
Old 03-31-18, 09:32 AM

Urobouros is on a distinguished road

I can deal with people but loud environments are stressful. Lunches/dinners with clients in loud restaurants or the agency/carrier parties have a time limit! Fortunately I have a couple easy escape routes. If it’s during the day, I get emails pretty frequently and, whaddya know, I gotta go put out a fire . If it’s an evening event, i live in the sticks so have always left earlier than most since it’s a long drive and even longer bus ride
Old 03-31-18, 02:46 PM

HyperSweaty is on a distinguished road

Ad long as their is not any one really annoying person in a group, I do better working around other people.
The Following User Says Thank You to HyperSweaty For This Useful Post:
kwalk (03-31-18)