ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 02-15-10, 09:31 AM
Contributor

brain chatter is on a distinguished road
I need a female opinion!

Ive just posted my profile pic, so that maybe u can help me out.
I recently joined a online dating group (thought I would try and see what it was like) anyway, I can barely get anyone to even look at me...I never had problems with women in the past...of course it's been about 13 years (I'm now divorced)
Did I just post a bad pic or is it just me? (I posted same pic as this one)
Can I get an opinion....be brutally honest...thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to brain chatter For This Useful Post:
novagal (02-15-10)
Old 02-15-10, 11:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,535 Times in 2,663 Posts
danelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I need a female opinion!

Well..to be brutally honest...the picture sucks,its too faded. I can tell you are handsome and that you are smiling,and you seem to look happy,but its not a good quality photo. Try a clearer picture...sell yourself!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danelady For This Useful Post:
novagal (02-15-10), peripatetic (02-20-10)
Old 02-15-10, 11:11 AM

Thanked 3,558 Times in 2,136 Posts
Turbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond repute

I agree this is not the best picture and a better quality photo would make it easier to see as well as make your best attributes shine more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danelady View Post
Well..to be brutally honest...the picture sucks,its too faded. I can tell you are handsome and that you are smiling,and you seem to look happy,but its not a good quality photo. Try a clearer picture...sell yourself!

Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Following User Says Thank You to Turbochica For This Useful Post:
novagal (02-15-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-10, 02:11 PM

Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,474 Posts
novagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant future

Here's my opinion. This image is pretty important, it's the ONE opportunity to catch someone's eye, to visually tell them what you're about.

I can speak for myself only, but say I'm looking at pics of two different men, and say that they're both my type that I would find equally physically attractive. One pic is a nice clear image with good color that gives me good details of his eyes and face. The other one is faded and a bit washed out, or perhaps it's way over exposed, in any event it's clear that it's not a good representation of who this person is. It's pretty obvious that I'm going to be drawn to the clearer more colorful image and the person in that image.

Not only because of the fact that I can see more of the person, but also because of the fact that it would appear to me that this person has taken more care to put a nice image up for me to see. In fact that's almost a bigger issue for me.

I'd be thinking that if this guy doesn't care enough to go to the trouble to get a nice image of himself to put up, what else doesn't he care about? He showers regularly doesn't he? Or does he? I know that might sound a little extreme, but really those kinds of opinions are formed in split seconds and they're difficult to reverse once they're there.

Could you get a friend to take some pictures of you? I'd like to make one more suggestion, and that would be to wear a different colored shirt. I'm not sure if your shirt here is yellow or orange, but it's a difficult color for people to wear and look good in. Peronally I love those colors, but they make me look so washed out as they do many people. I might wear them anyway, but I wouldn't want to wear them to have my pic taken in. Even a white shirt would be good.

And no, it's not you - you appear to be a good looking man, as Turbochica said it's important to make your best attributes shine!
Even if I didn't use it in the house?
- Bill Waterson (Calvin and Hobbes)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to novagal For This Useful Post:
brain chatter (02-20-10), peripatetic (02-20-10)
Old 02-15-10, 02:41 PM

Thanked 8,488 Times in 2,827 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

A good pic might also be one that shows a bit about yourself, like having a ski hill in the background, or a horse ranch, or a bowling alley or whatever.
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
Old 02-15-10, 09:01 PM

Redd Skyes will become famous soon enough

The picture is too faded. Take another and make sure you are looking your best!
Old 02-15-10, 09:35 PM

Thanked 1,633 Times in 883 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

I know a photographer in your area that is still learning and likes to have willing victims to practice on. ;-)

Seriously. Let me know.....

And, as the others said, your photo is your first impression and strongest selling point to someone taking a deeper look. Think like if you were selling your treasured vintage car, you'd get the best images online that you could to get the best interest at the price.
The Following User Says Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
novagal (02-20-10)
Old 02-16-10, 03:16 PM
Contributor

Thanks everyone for the input!!! Frazzle, I'll take u up on the offer.
I agree...not a good pic... was quickly done just to have something to post
Old 02-17-10, 04:57 AM
Contributor

bumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of light

Hey! Good to see another Arizonan!

I agree with the others. Is that a recent photo?
Old 02-17-10, 09:55 AM
Contributor

Nice to see you too neighbor...yes Bumblebe, pic was about 2 wks ago.
Frazzle was kind enough to offer help and will be taking pics soon.
Old 02-19-10, 01:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all

I met my s/o on an online dating site, and I can honestly say that even though "looks aren't everything," it really does help to have a good profile photo. I guess it's kind of a personal pride thing. . .showing that you take the online dating thing seriously by posting a quality photo that really shows a bit about who you are.

As others have already said, if you have at least one photo of you that relates to a hobby or interest, that's a good one to add. Some dating sites won't allow you to post those as a primary photo, but if there is room to post additional photos, make them interesting.

My boyfriend and I met through a dating site for horse owners/riders. As a result, the photos in our profiles mostly had to do with riding out on trail. As it turns out, my boyfriend and I had already met in person a couple of times out on trail, and even stopped to chat once. He is the one who initiated contact on the dating site. . .and I realized immediately who it was because I recognized the horse in one of his photos.

This is more of a side note, but one of the biggest turn-offs for me was when guys posted a "Joe Cool" photo of themselves. . .no smile, not even a hint of a smile. Often posing next to a car or motorcycle, arms folded across the chest, sunglasses on. Perhaps they managed to succeed in finding women who are attracted to that look. . .but I'm not really interested in dating someone who doesn't smile. Same goes for the photos in a bar or at a party, with a drink in one hand and the other arm around a girl in tight/sparse clothing.

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JollyBadger For This Useful Post:
FrazzleDazzle (02-19-10), novagal (02-20-10), peripatetic (02-20-10)
Old 02-19-10, 02:06 PM

Thanked 1,633 Times in 883 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

Agreed Jolly!! Also turnoffs for photos are the cameraphone taking a reflection in the bathroom with no shirt on. And the cameraphone pics whilst behind a vehicle wheel. Gah!! Oh and ones where there's a female cropped out of the photo. Lol!! There are several of us meeting up to get good pics done for Brain Chatter. Hopefully they will be good lol!!
The Following User Says Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
novagal (02-20-10)
Old 02-19-10, 02:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

sienasmama09 has a spectacular aura aboutsienasmama09 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrazzleDazzle View Post
Agreed Jolly!! Also turnoffs for photos are the cameraphone taking a reflection in the bathroom with no shirt on. And the cameraphone pics whilst behind a vehicle wheel. Gah!! Oh and ones where there's a female cropped out of the photo. Lol!! There are several of us meeting up to get good pics done for Brain Chatter. Hopefully they will be good lol!!
I agree with all of this!

Brainchatter,

I know I'm coming in late here, but you look like a good-looking guy, you just need a picture that's brighter and represents who you are.
Old 02-19-10, 09:32 PM

solsken will become famous soon enough

I am going to chime in too. I agree with the faded pic. Get one closer up. I think you need a different shirt too. The setting is not right either. Try to really grab the viewer. You look like a dad in his driveway of a development. Nothing wrong with that, infact many women want a guy that guy, but try getting a little more personal with your picture.

I hope this helps. I'm sure you'll find someone again! Post your revised pic so we can tell you how awesome it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to solsken For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (02-20-10)
Old 02-20-10, 10:05 AM
Contributor

once again, thanks to everyone!!! I will post new pics as soon as I can...should be early next week... as long as it doesn't rain on picture day.