ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-18, 03:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

The D is on a distinguished road
Combined Type Question

I struggle with activation on nearly everything. Even to start to do something I typically enjoy. I would prefer to just sit and read or cruise the internet. I am successful financially because I can get myself to do stuff on occasion. I alternate between ~60% of the time, literally not wanting to do anything, and then occasional bursts of productivity when the pressure is too great.

I don't have the benefit of hyperfocusing, at least not in the traditional sense of something I really have intense interest in capturing my attention. There isn't really anything that brings that out in me for the most part.

I just want to stay shutdown nearly all the time and don't know what to do about it. This has been a life-long struggle for me that has robbed most of the joy from my life. Does anyone else struggle with this? If so, what have you done to mitigate it?

Currently taking 10mg of Dex, typically 3 times a day. Have tried all the meds. I really only take the Dex because it helps with my anxiety and can help me feel more social if I'm out with friends.
Old 01-04-18, 05:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation
Re: Combined Type Question

You said you prefer reading and surfing the internet. Don’t those count as things you enjoy? Reading can be a great activity, if you can find useful material you enjoy reading! If that is what you can focus on, don’t underrate it! I can focus on reading pretty well, when I am interested in the topic. It’s part of what got me through grad school when I had to read thousands of pages of material every semester. Find some cool topic that you enjoy reading about, and check out what the local library has to offer on that topic. Or Google it online and surf the internet on it.
The D (01-15-18)
Old 01-15-18, 04:15 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,621 Times in 14,592 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think I work best under pressure, The best work I have done has been under the gun. I too enjoy reading my news apps and such, they can be real time suckers for me.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
The D (01-15-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-18, 03:16 PM
Jr Member

jdang307 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The D View Post
I struggle with activation on nearly everything. Even to start to do something I typically enjoy. I would prefer to just sit and read or cruise the internet. I am successful financially because I can get myself to do stuff on occasion. I alternate between ~60% of the time, literally not wanting to do anything, and then occasional bursts of productivity when the pressure is too great.

I don't have the benefit of hyperfocusing, at least not in the traditional sense of something I really have intense interest in capturing my attention. There isn't really anything that brings that out in me for the most part.

I just want to stay shutdown nearly all the time and don't know what to do about it. This has been a life-long struggle for me that has robbed most of the joy from my life. Does anyone else struggle with this? If so, what have you done to mitigate it?

Currently taking 10mg of Dex, typically 3 times a day. Have tried all the meds. I really only take the Dex because it helps with my anxiety and can help me feel more social if I'm out with friends.
This is me to a T. I can't start anything, unless under immense pressure. Hell I can even think about it for days, weeks months before doing anything.

I am financially successful, as well. I'm a great test taker (passed the hardest state bar studying 3 weeks), and work brilliantly when under the gun. Horrible work and study ethic. I don't want to be a workaholic but if I could just work 30 solid hours a week my practice would be 10x what it is today.

I do hyperfocus though. For years I obssessed with snowboarding. Then camera equipment. Football. Fantasy football. Right now it's golf.

I was hoping meds might help me with focusing on work while at work.
Old 01-15-18, 03:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

The D is on a distinguished road

Appreciate the responses. I guess I'm just tired of everything being such a struggle. I'm not sure why it should take so much effort to do things I even enjoy? Seems weird to me I guess, but maybe that's just part of having combined type. My mind just seeks to be shut down nearly all the time and I don't really understand why.