ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 08-26-10, 06:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute
Started Meds/why do people get so wacked about meds??

Saw my PCP today, and she started me on Adderall XR for the first month. I do feel like I see a marked difference already. I was sitting at my desk listening to Pandora, two coworkers chatting nearby. I felt a noticable shift in how I was hearing my surroundings; like being in a car with all four speakers on, then adjusting them to only the front seat. Pandora being in the figurative front seat.

The meds almost seem to "soften" things a little bit... it's like people say things to me and they don't hit as hard as they did yesterday.

I also actually remember driving home. I drive an hour each way, and I usually get to different places in my route(s) and realize I have no memory of getting there, to day I remember the vast majority of it!

It hasn't "fixed" everything, but I do feel a drastic improvement.

On to my other issue, I have a coworker (she likes to mother me, guess I look like I need it ) that expressed a lot of concern. I was able to listen to her concerns, and surprisingly not get defensive. At first she was concerned about the meds themselves, is ADHD really real?? what will they do to me?? After that, I think we got a little closer to the real heart of the matter, she's afraid it will change my personality. She does have a point, sort of. Over the past couple years she has seen me struggle through 2 failed IVF's, a hysterectomy, and menopause.

For some reason when people try to say they don't "believe" in the whole ADHD thing, I guess I am not inclined to pay them any attention. They don't have to live with what I have going on in my head... they see blips here and there, but they don't FEEL it all day everyday!

Why do people get so wacked out over this?? They don't have to take the meds, just like they don't have to live with the ADHD... the idea is for me to be able to be more engaged and have a better quality of life. I'm not doing this to run away from life, I'm doing this because I want to participate MORE.

Somebody posted on another thread that friends aren't "one size fits all," this is SO true!
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
danelady (08-26-10), Shiny Object (08-26-10), tinywiney (08-26-10)
Old 08-26-10, 08:04 PM

Shiny Object is a jewel in the roughShiny Object is a jewel in the roughShiny Object is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Started Meds/why do people get so wacked about meds??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
Why do people get so wacked out over this??
Hmm... I'd say Ignorance and Fear...

Just like any prejudice or stereotype, if people are uneducated about something, they'll generally tend to believe "what they've heard" or seen second hand. (From upbringing, friends, media, etc.) That is, until they meet and get to know someone outside of their instinct and find that this person is so different from their preconceived notion.

Then of course, they now know someone who is and it's not so bad.

Fear goes hand-in-hand with ignorance... You can boil it down to "The crazies might get us!" They fear the "crazies," as they might have heard of someone who had some arbitrary disorder and did something bad or scary. Or perhaps they have firsthand experience with someone who had a particular disorder and that experience was not pleasant. Either way, now their view is skewed, and possibly labels folks with a "disorder" as pariahs.

But the WORST fear is that THEY TOO might have something wrong with them... So they deny such things exist and stay away from the "crazies."

Quote:
I was able to listen to her concerns, and surprisingly not get defensive. At first she was concerned about the meds themselves, is ADHD really real?? what will they do to me?? After that, I think we got a little closer to the real heart of the matter, she's afraid it will change my personality.
I'm happy to hear in your case that your work mom's fear wasn't the nasty stuff above, but more so her fearing she might lose you... That the meds would turn you into someone she doesn't know and/or hurt you in some way. That's sweet, actually. I think she'll notice a positive change that she'll enjoy... You - but the best you.

I'm curious to see how you like XR and hoping it works out great for you!

-Shiny
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shiny Object For This Useful Post:
danelady (08-26-10), Impetus (08-26-10), tinywiney (08-26-10)
Old 08-26-10, 08:15 PM

Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Started Meds/why do people get so wacked about meds??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Object View Post

I'm curious to see how you like XR and hoping it works out great for you!

-Shiny
So far so good, I took it about 11 hours ago, and I am starting to get sleepy. Hope that's a good sign. I'm not deliriously brain tired, like I usually am at this time of day... I'll take that for what it's worth.
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
danelady (08-26-10), tinywiney (08-26-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-10, 08:41 PM
Contributor

dbellca82 has a spectacular aura aboutdbellca82 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Saw my PCP today, and she started me on Adderall XR for the first month. I do feel like I see a marked difference already. I was sitting at my desk listening to Pandora, two coworkers chatting nearby. I felt a noticable shift in how I was hearing my surroundings; like being in a car with all four speakers on, then adjusting them to only the front seat. Pandora being in the figurative front seat.

The meds almost seem to "soften" things a little bit... it's like people say things to me and they don't hit as hard as they did yesterday.

I also actually remember driving home. I drive an hour each way, and I usually get to different places in my route(s) and realize I have no memory of getting there, to day I remember the vast majority of it!

It hasn't "fixed" everything, but I do feel a drastic improvement.

On to my other issue, I have a coworker (she likes to mother me, guess I look like I need it ) that expressed a lot of concern. I was able to listen to her concerns, and surprisingly not get defensive. At first she was concerned about the meds themselves, is ADHD really real?? what will they do to me?? After that, I think we got a little closer to the real heart of the matter, she's afraid it will change my personality. She does have a point, sort of. Over the past couple years she has seen me struggle through 2 failed IVF's, a hysterectomy, and menopause.

For some reason when people try to say they don't "believe" in the whole ADHD thing, I guess I am not inclined to pay them any attention. They don't have to live with what I have going on in my head... they see blips here and there, but they don't FEEL it all day everyday!

Why do people get so wacked out over this?? They don't have to take the meds, just like they don't have to live with the ADHD... the idea is for me to be able to be more engaged and have a better quality of life. I'm not doing this to run away from life, I'm doing this because I want to participate MORE.

Somebody posted on another thread that friends aren't "one size fits all," this is SO true!
i wouldnt bother or give the time of day to indvduals feeling such as you mentioned. if they are going to criticize or past judgement, then why do i need that negative enviornment in my life to pull me down. i dont attempt to argue or rationalize with such people because they likely passed judgement and formed thier own opinon long before already, besides i have do what satisfies and makes myself happy or content, not worry and stress over making everyone else that way, while neglecting myself, although i will admit to being guilty of this in the past.

1 mg methylphenidate = 0.5 mg D-amphetamine = 0.5 - 0.75 mg Adderall

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry, alcohol is a solution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dbellca82 For This Useful Post:
danelady (08-26-10), Impetus (08-27-10)
Old 08-26-10, 10:42 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,401 Times in 6,116 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Ignorance can be cured via education it is stupidity that is without remedy

As long as the lady is willing to listen and learn things from your side then I see no harm in being open and teaching her.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Impetus (08-27-10)
Old 08-27-10, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
Ignorance can be cured via education it is stupidity that is without remedy

As long as the lady is willing to listen and learn things from your side then I see no harm in being open and teaching her.
at the end of the convo, after she'd expressed her concerns, she said "well I guess only time will tell, so we'll wait and see what comes of all this."

I appreciate her concern, my mom IRL is pretty lack lustre. Maybe I should just let the people in my life "mother me" if they want... w/in reason of course!
-George Carlin