ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-03-10, 02:40 PM

stuartH is on a distinguished road
Just started my Meds and not going too well

I finally found a Doctor that would treat my ADHD with stimulant meds and was so relieved. The issue is the meds i'm taking are making me feel pretty horrible.
He prescribed me 20mg a day Adderley XR for the first 5 days then 40mg between 5-10 then onto 60mg to see how my condition improves. I'm currently on 20mg.
The problem I having is the meds seem to make me really shaky they give me anxiety, hot flashes and a feeling like i'm frooze, I really dont feel well at all. I was under the impression that the meds would make me more tuned in give me energy help me focus and not be such Mess. They have made me feel confused and overall Ill.
I have researched a bit and found alot of people are having issues with the Generic adderal XR and I'm thinking that is the cause. Has anyone else had this bad experience? I'm really at a point were I feel so ill I may take the day of work tomorrow as I really feel out of place and dont want to socialize. I have taken illegal stimulants in the past and never felt like this its horrible.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-03-10, 02:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,642 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just started my Meds and not going too well

Right now, there isn't a generic form of Adderall XR. The form currently available as far as I know is considered brand.

That said, you are not having a positive reaction. You say that you are on a fast titration but you don't say how long you have been taking the 20 mg.

I am going to request that your thread be moved to the Adderall section so that you can hear from more of our folks who are familiar with Adderall.

One thing I will say, regardless is that if you are in the first days of taking the medication, I would stay with it if you can at the rate of 20 mg for a couple of weeks and see if your side effects subside. They very well might. If they don't or you can't take it, call your doc.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
Old 10-03-10, 03:06 PM

Thanks appreciate it. Its day 5 now and im on 40mg a day I actually went to 40mg a day on the second day as the 20mg didnt seem to do much but make me feel sweaty and clammy and I really didnt feel like I had any energy. My Doc did say if u want to go to 40mg sooner u can. All that seems to be happening is the nasty side affects get more intense.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-10, 03:13 PM
Contributor

Mocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really nice

Is it just me or are those high-ish dosages to start on?
Old 10-03-10, 03:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Those are some high dosages to be started on.

Doctors should really be starting their patients on 5mg IR twice a day, so that there wouldn't be as many bad side-effects.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 10-03-10, 03:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

livingpharaoh has a spectacular aura aboutlivingpharaoh has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I have been reading about people starting on 5mg doses and feeling good. I suggested to my dr that I wanted a medium dose and she was gonna give me 30mgxr but ended up giving me 20mg ir 2 doses. Still if I could have started on a lower dosage and it been effective I should have done that. But she just lets me pick my own prescription drug, dosage, and date to come back for more. I think she thinks I am selling my meds b/c I told he I got busted with adderral back in hs without a prescription. But maybe I just had adhd and i didnt know and I found something that made me think straight. Why do I have to be the bad guy... Some of these psychiatrist are nothing more than dope pushers...seriously
Old 10-03-10, 04:18 PM

So it sounds like if I drop my dose down and see how it goes is the best advice? I do fell the benefits starting to have the just do it attitude I just feeel like crap.