ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-18, 08:22 AM

SlamHamer89 is on a distinguished road
Don't like the "other me" (see disclaimer)

DISCLAIMER: This is not a depression post no need to sounds the alarms!

29, diadnosed with ADD/ADHD about 7/8 months ago and it REALLY explained a lot of the past 15 or 20 years of my life. Including why ALL of my relationships thus far have crashed and burned.... but I digress.

Naturally the treatment for AD(H)D is a stimulant regimen. I'm at a stable dosing and schedule as of about 3 months or so ago. However no matter how much I try not to I end up taking my medicaion on the weekends and I don't want to. I recently met someone quite a bit older than me with AD(H)D and has stopped taking stimulants YEARS ago. He is fine but it was my first interaction with a fellow ADD'er while on treatment and they weren't.

We got to talking and everything he explained to me (forgetfullness, hyperfocus on inconsequential things and just generally being aloof) kind of scared me. Not for his sake but because I do not like the haphazardness of AD(H)D when not on stimulants. Does anyone else here feel this way?? I am a USMC vet so I REALLY like to be on task so that prob explains alot of where this is comming from. I just wanna know if I'm not the only one who feels this way.

NOTE: On my phone at work, plesse excuse any typos.
Old 08-02-18, 10:44 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,662 Times in 14,620 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't like the "other me" (see disclaimer)

If you needed glasses to see would you only want to see during the week? If you had diabetes would you only want insulin during the week? ADHD is a chronic lifelong condition and in this case I would say chronic means ongoing. You should take your meds on weekends. I do.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (08-04-18)
Old 08-02-18, 01:38 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

ADHD people really need structure, and I think your USMC background makes sense.

People often go through different stages of grief/acceptance over their ADHD.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-18, 02:49 PM

Srjs28 is on a distinguished road

Sarahsweets makes a good point. Try and take it everyday and let your body adjust to the constant use of stimulants. I take mine religiously since diagnosed, which was a short time ago, and have never been more clear headed and happier
Old 08-02-18, 11:53 PM

Maybe I just have to get over, or regrettably get used to, the negative stigma that ADD/ADHD and its treatment(s) have. I know this will take time. However, I don't like the the fact that I know whats comming if I don't take my meds as prescribed. The flip side of that is I don't want to be "that person who's all hopped up on addy all day". Like I said maybe its the negative stigma or feeling like the meds are a crutch or something.
Old 08-04-18, 08:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,585 Times in 11,923 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamHamer89 View Post
Maybe I just have to get over, or regrettably get used to, the negative stigma that ADD/ADHD and its treatment(s) have. I know this will take time. However, I don't like the the fact that I know whats comming if I don't take my meds as prescribed. The flip side of that is I don't want to be "that person who's all hopped up on addy all day". Like I said maybe its the negative stigma or feeling like the meds are a crutch or something.
If you are taking a prescribed and monitored medication to treat a medical
condition ... that's not the same as "being hopped up."

If your leg was broken would you refuse to use a crutch because that's like
using a crutch? It would be necessary for your healing.

Taking prescribed meds is necessary for your health (mental health).

It was very hard for me to accept when I had to start taking an ACE inhibitor
every single day to control my high blood pressure. But I needed the meds to
prevent a stroke or heart attack.

The stigma for people with Degenerative Disk Disease) who need pain meds
every day is even worse than the stigma for stimulants. I can avoid the meds
by using a wheelchair, but that was even harder to accept than the BP meds.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 08-03-18, 08:20 AM

Yall are probably right. Maybe its just me knowing the difference of what life is like on and off my meds. I guess I just haven't the negative stigma that ADD/ADHD receives seeing as how everyone thinks it's made up. Maybe part of it too, is that I might somehow feel it's a crutch? Also I haven't told ALOT of people aside from family and a few really good friends and they would never judge me. However, I feel....... ashamed (for lack of a better word) as thinking of my self as "that dude who's hopped up on addy all day". Is this something i'll just have to get over?
Old 08-03-18, 05:42 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Also I haven't told ALOT of people aside from family and a few really good friends and they would never judge me.
You shouldn't feel shamed that you have ADHD, but at the same time, you probably shouldn't tell too many people about it. People might make unfair assumptions/judgments about you, and if they're not family or close friends, then it's really none of their business anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (08-04-18)
Old 08-04-18, 07:58 PM

fathom6 is on a distinguished road

very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
You shouldn't feel shamed that you have ADHD, but at the same time, you probably shouldn't tell too many people about it. People might make unfair assumptions/judgments about you, and if they're not family or close friends, then it's really none of their business anyway.
Old 08-03-18, 03:07 PM

fathom6 is on a distinguished road

This post rubs on my life experiences. I can vouch the behavior for 'Stutterers'. I have observed that Stutterers DO NOT like to socialize and dont want to be anywhere near another Stutterer. I have also observed that Stutterers that dont have ADHD usually get 'cured' on their own as they reach adulthood, the reality is they still have underlying stuttering but they learn coping mechanisms so effectively (as they dont have ADHD holding them back) that they in adulthood they no longer stutter anymore.

The funny or sad part is, these cured stutterers as soon as are in close vicinity to another stutterer (one that still stutters like myself that triggers their own previously conquered stuttering. And that makes them almost hide and try to get as far away as they can. While I understand but I still feel sad that a Stutterer never helps another stuttering in real-world, just because they want to run as far away as they can from you. I have encountered executives at work who are very articulate and champion in their talk concern for disabilities but same executives when I have been in same room, I see them uncomfortably fidgeting, stuttering worst than me, and just wanting to rocket out of the room as fast they can, and they never want to even see me again

I have never seen this documented in stuttering literature, but I think this phenomenon should be. Back to your subject ADHD, I am thinking out loud if ADHD does have this phenomenan too, I dont think so, but still interested to hear more experiences.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: This is not a depression post no need to sounds the alarms!

29, diadnosed with ADD/ADHD about 7/8 months ago and it REALLY explained a lot of the past 15 or 20 years of my life. Including why ALL of my relationships thus far have crashed and burned.... but I digress.

Naturally the treatment for AD(H)D is a stimulant regimen. I'm at a stable dosing and schedule as of about 3 months or so ago. However no matter how much I try not to I end up taking my medicaion on the weekends and I don't want to. I recently met someone quite a bit older than me with AD(H)D and has stopped taking stimulants YEARS ago. He is fine but it was my first interaction with a fellow ADD'er while on treatment and they weren't.

We got to talking and everything he explained to me (forgetfullness, hyperfocus on inconsequential things and just generally being aloof) kind of scared me. Not for his sake but because I do not like the haphazardness of AD(H)D when not on stimulants. Does anyone else here feel this way?? I am a USMC vet so I REALLY like to be on task so that prob explains alot of where this is comming from. I just wanna know if I'm not the only one who feels this way.

NOTE: On my phone at work, plesse excuse any typos.
Old 08-03-18, 05:22 PM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

"hopped up on addy all day" rubs me the wrong way. If you were you would be just like the college kids who take them (usually unprescribed) to pull an all nighter or so they can drink more. I know you didnt mean it but its exactly that kind of thinking that spreads misinformation.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-04-18), Lunacie (08-04-18)
Old 08-05-18, 02:04 PM

Sorry for the double post above and for the improper verbage above. I'm not telling anyone else just those close enough to notice a difference in me and my behaviors as a result of tje diagnosis. As this is still relatively new to me I guess itll just take time to accept it and be gratefull that I was able to get treatment. Also I guess I'll have to get over the public stigma of ADD/ADHD being a made up condition.

NOTE to Sara, I did not use that phrase in a way to describe what I have said or say. Just that it is what i hear the most from people without ADD/ADHD.
Old 08-06-18, 03:23 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Unfortunately, it's not just ADHD that carries some stigma, but almost all psychiatric conditions including depression and anxiety. I think that there's a certain pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps mentality in American culture that is especially suspicious of mental health issues and believes that if someone is failing in some way, it's because they lack willpower and just aren't trying hard enough. There's probably some added stigma with ADHD, too, because the medications most often used to treat it is are controlled substances which causes even some doctors to act a little irrational sometimes.

After I got diagnosed, I was hesitant to take stimulants, too, partly because of that suspicious attitude towards mental health issue that I was speaking about. As a result, I tried medication for just a couple of months and then stopped and went for another 5 years before I finally decided to try them again last year. Now I feel bad sometimes not because I need a crutch, but because I can't help thinking how much better my life would have been if I had gotten help for my ADHD a lot sooner and not been so resistant to taking the medications that are the most successful at treating it.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
Old 08-06-18, 06:39 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
NOTE to Sara, I did not use that phrase in a way to describe what I have said or say. Just that it is what i hear the most from people without ADD/ADHD.
No I get it, its just something that always riles me up when I hear it.

I carried a watermelon?