ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-11, 04:24 AM

Hello24 is on a distinguished road
Working Memory improvement & reduction in ADD symptoms

Hi everyone,

I have trouble with focusing and controlling my attention.

I recently read some articles that suggest that ADD can result from working memory impairment; and that working memory training can help improve ADD symptoms.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have done working memory training and to know if they had any improvements?
Also people who are interested in this topic are encouraged to post.

-1. Has anyone done working memory training such as dual N-Back and found it has improved their inattentiveness and given them greater control over their attention?
-2. Has anyone done the dual N-Back exercises and found that it has improved their working memory?
-3. Has dual N-Back provided any improvement in your learning and ability to manipulate information or reduce your ADD/ADHD symptoms?
-4. For those that do train on working memory tasks like N-Back how often do you do it and for what length of time?

Thanks,

S
Old 04-26-11, 01:34 PM

fliparagon is on a distinguished road
Re: Working Memory improvement & reduction in ADD symptoms

Due to some other underlying brain "issues" in my past (brain tumor removed in 2004) which impaired my working memory among other things, I've actually been doing cognitive rehabilitation exercises that my neurologist suggested. There is actually a site that I've been using www.lumosity.com.

The site employs a variety of "brain training" exercises that they claim were put together by brain scientists from UCSF and Stanford. The exercises can be tailored to each individual's situation: traumatic brain injury patients, people dealing with ADHD/ADD, and overall brain health. You can also tailor the exercises to focus on specific areas only such as focus solely on improving your working memory, improving your problem solving/logic skills, or improving your attention, etc. Although there is a subscription cost to regularly use the site, it's very affordable compared to other programs that are out there. More importantly, they have a free 7-day trial that allows you to try it out before committing to it.

Has it worked for me? Well, in my situation, I think it has. There are benchmark tests that you can see what type of improvement you've made, if any. In my situation, I've seen substantial improvement in my working memory. Because of that, I'm a big advocate of the site and truly believe that the brain needs to be "exercised" regularly. Is it a cure for ADHD/ADD? Not in itself, but I think it's just one of many parts that helps with improving our overall issues.

(BTW, I have no ownership/stake in the company in any way or form. I'm just a believer in the site and expressing my opinion).

Hope this helps.

Andre
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fliparagon For This Useful Post:
Hello24 (05-11-11), Meadd (02-13-14)
Old 05-11-11, 10:03 AM

Hello24 is on a distinguished road
Re: Working Memory improvement & reduction in ADD symptoms

Thank you so much Andre.
I will check out this site and see how it goes. Yeah its frustrating being just as smart as the other people at work but not having their focus and attention. It definately holds me back, so anything that can improve it is a big help. I am surprised that more people haven't shown an interest in brain training spefically N-back. I would have thought that it would be a hot topic for people trying to treat their ADD/ADHD.

Thanks again for your great reply & advice.

S
Sponsored Links