ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-04, 05:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

ahalo is on a distinguished road
How Do You Know When Your Meds Are Working?

Hello,

I am posting this in the general board because it is a question for anyone who uses medication to treat ADHD. When you first started meds, or when you have changed meds or to a different dosage, how did you decide that the meds were working? Was it a very noticeable thing, or should it be subtle?

I have only been on meds since Monday and I probably feel subtle differences in some areas, but I don't know if it should be more pronounced or not. It's not as if I've ever known what it feels like to be "normal". I am on 10mg of methylphenidate twice a day.

-Less reactive, less intense emotions
-Less nervouness in situation where I might normally be nervous
-Somewhat easier following along in conversations
-Heart pounding all the time

These are not really in-your-face differences, but I tend to notice anything that is different from what I would normally do. So I don't know if that's attributable to the meds or not.

I guess I want to be sure that I don't settle for less than what is possible, in that I am on what seems to be a low dosage. I also think that while the meds last a small amount of time (probably around 3-4 hours), it is not a real noticeable difference or "fall" when they wear off. I had heard with Ritalin that normally does happen but I haven't seen it yet.

Thanks to anyone who has any insight or is willing to share your personal experiences when starting meds.
Old 10-29-04, 08:28 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

f_wcomboadhd is on a distinguished road
started wellbutrin: heart racing, hands shaking, but then i noticed that i was organizing stuff like crazy. i could of been hired for organizing! its amazing. now i'm just blah. yes i do need to reorganize my closet but i'm tiiireed..
adderal: 20 mgs. wasn't a lightening bolt..but my husband has remarked how i've been much more into completing things when i start them and i'm also pretty organized mentally for the most part..
i find myself dissecting the house and i mentally have a seriously elaborate and stunning plan to redo my entire home decorative/organization wise.
its kind of like i read julie morgensteins organization book awhile ago and it just sat in my head.
now i can execute it!
thats pretty neato.
but anyway: i digress so much
i crash in the afternoon like crazy.
i feel more tired i a lot of ways than i used to which was bad in the first place. but i can still keep on keepin on though.
I wish that I was bullet proof
(Radiohead/The Bends/Bulletproof..I wish I was)
300 mgs. Wellbutrin XL 20mgs. Adderall XR
Old 11-03-04, 11:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

Outsider is on a distinguished road
hey ahalo,

I've been taking methlyphenidate 10mg twice a day for a little over two weeks. After I take a pill I can feel the effect come on about 15 minutes later. I can't really explain what it feels like...but I will often notice a physical sensation in my head...then I'm just more focused for a while. The first day I took it I read through all my class notes in an hour with people chatting all around me. I dont really notice when it wears off...I'll just realize that I'm not paying attention anymore...ussually about 5 hours later for me. I dont think I get a rebound effect or anything...I just go back to the way I normally am. I go back to my doc tommorow to talk about how it's going.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-04, 11:50 PM
Jr Member

acnail83 is on a distinguished road
This is really encouraging. I'm starting on my (Strattera) Atomoxetine 40mg tomorrow, and while I don't expect effects to come the first day in the first 5 mins, It does make me excited that perhaps I will be able to finally get the work done that I haven't been able to do all year, eventually.
Old 11-04-04, 10:14 PM

adina1 is on a distinguished road
This is an interesting thread personally because I am starting 10 mg of Ritalin tomorrow, and I'm really curious to see how it will affect me. The responses have been encouraging.

A note on the Stattera: I know that it can take up to 4 weeks to really peak in affect as opposed to the Ritalin which is usually within an hour or less.

I will let you guys know how it goes.
Old 11-05-04, 05:29 PM
Jr Member

notnow is on a distinguished road
I have been on Strattera for about a month. I noticed a difference within a couple days. I could concentrate much easier on my job. Once I got up to the full dose a couple weeks ago it worked a lot better. I can concentrate!!! Thoughts aren't whipping around on their own anymore. One of the best things about it is I am 'present' almost always now.

I used to not be able to pay attention to things that were happening because I was always thinking about what would be happening a few seconds from now... tomorrow... oh crap! did I forget to pay my credit card... what is the date today?... fall is the best season... I need to do some work, I cant keep talking to this guy he won't shut up... god what is traffic going to be like today I better leave early...

Now I can carry on a conversation. I can hear what the other person is saying. I can do some work. I can stop workling and talk to someone else. I can go back to work. One thing at a time! I love it.
Old 11-08-04, 04:12 PM

CM2005 is on a distinguished road
I was diagnosed a 1 year ago and started ADDERALL 20mg. twice a day....then was increased to 40mg. in the morning and then 20mg. in the afternoon. I just went back to the doc and he recommended that I increase my dose to 45mg in the morning and 25mg. in the afternoon. The adderall has helped me tremendously, but I am a little worried about the dose. He said that the dose is on the high end, but nothing to worry about. He says that addiction is unlikely if taken as prescribed. Thoughts????
Old 11-08-04, 04:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
Usually I am just in a Lull and not really want to do anything and just plain get bored too easy...but also feeling sooo unmotivated to do things around the house or anything that would keep me from NOT being bored. Funny..I also have the worst time deciding what to do in situations...and mostly Mom is guiding me or telling me what I should do.

I know when my Dexedrine starts working cause, I become a lot more focused and Motivated. My mom especially can tell when my medicine is working when she comes home to a clean house and dinner on the table and In the midst of all of that..I quickly find a project to do. Instead of always having to ask Mom, "What, How, Or Why." I somehow feel more confident and I am able to put my 2 cents in and we can compromise that way.

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
The Following User Says Thank You to Draga For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (03-13-17)
Old 04-26-13, 07:48 PM

Gods given make is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: How Do You Know When Your Meds Are Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
hey ahalo,

I've been taking methlyphenidate 10mg twice a day for a little over two weeks. After I take a pill I can feel the effect come on about 15 minutes later. I can't really explain what it feels like...but I will often notice a physical sensation in my head...then I'm just more focused for a while. The first day I took it I read through all my class notes in an hour with people chatting all around me. I dont really notice when it wears off...I'll just realize that I'm not paying attention anymore...ussually about 5 hours later for me. I dont think I get a rebound effect or anything...I just go back to the way I normally am. I go back to my doc tommorow to talk about how it's going.
Hi, asfar as i know. Methlyphenidate should be taken 3 times a day and you start on a low does. Increased untill you find correct dosage. Maxinum dosage per day for an aduld is 60mg. Its just working out what is best for you to get maximum affect and least side affects for you. Try slow release tablets might work better for you. It just getting the dosage right. At the moment i take 3x 10mg per day tryied 20mg 3 times per day but was to much.how still working on getting it right. Only you know whats right for you. And most importantally comfortable
Goodluck
Old 04-27-13, 01:30 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud of
Re: How Do You Know When Your Meds Are Working?

well I'm posting on this forum, that generally indicates that my meds are working.

but seriously:

less emotional
sense of calm
get things done
much more detail oriented
much more motivated
elevated mood (not extreme, just a little bit of a push that gets me going)
just more functional in general
“I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get mad at turkeys. There's turkey ham, turkey bologna, turkey pastrami,...someone needs to tell the turkey, man, just be yourself!”
-Mitch Hedberg

“My nephew has HDADHD. High Definition Attention Deficit Disorder. He can barely pay attention, but when he does it's unbelievably clear.”
-Steven Wright

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
-Oscar Wilde
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADDinHDefgHi?! For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (03-06-14), ValliGirl2012 (04-27-13)
Old 04-27-13, 07:38 AM

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone feels instant changes but meds will always have an effect, whether itīs the effect you want or not, or whether you feel it or not, they will be doing something.

Itīs a good idea to make a note of any changes (in case you forget) but also any comments that friends or family, work colleagues make.

It may take a few weeks or months to really be able to evaluate the effects so donīt be too impatient to up or change meds. Daily changes are important but also look at your achievements at the end of a a week or a month.

For my I couldnīt really notice changes but since meds I have never (should never say never) lost my car keys or car, which I was always doing. I was able to organise Christmas, not only buy xmas cards, but write and send them on time, a first for me (however I didnīt feel organised) but friends asked me why I sent cards as I have never sent them before.

If you are studying then any positive changes will hopefully be reflected in grades.

Me and my two teenagers started treatment last October and we are still noticing changes and improvements. Things often become more noticeable if we skip meds. I.e itīs obvious if my son hasnīt had meds he is so annoying and if I donīt have mine I am like a complete idiot, totally in another world.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SquarePeg For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (03-13-17), Pilgrim (03-06-14)
Old 04-27-13, 10:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

traze23 will become famous soon enough

I see a lot of people posting here about how they are more organized, but how about memorization or comprehension skills?
Old 04-28-13, 01:42 AM

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not painfully bored, I'm more like so chill I can't think of doing anything which is why I write a bunch of stuff to do.

When I look at words on the screen I don't think 'meh too long' and can actually understand it.

I'm not so restless and unfocused the only way I think of getting easy stimulation is by hitting objects over my head. No, I can focus for much longer and on things I would usually find painfully boring.

I have good memory. I should say I have a memory at all. I'm not on my meds today and I've completely forgotten about everything I did yesterday.

Honestly, I am overall better on meds. I have a memory, can focus, can listen to people in a conversation and have a conversation. I can do maths and read and write. I can get chores down quite quickly with very little procrastination. I don't feel like a completely disorganised mess when it comes to having to commit to something right away. I'm less likely to have a sudden outburst and I'm a lot more open minded and nice to people.

I don't have to keep switching through tasks every 5-10 minutes. Moving onto a new task after I have completed one is a lot easier too.

I rarely feel my meds working in me. At times I can get a bit of overstimulation but I find with eating more this goes away. Most times I just find myself doing things right away and it's rather a confusing feeling, especially when on my weekend med breaks my head is all over the place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (03-13-17), Pilgrim (03-06-14)
Old 04-28-13, 06:08 AM

chillum is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you are on the tritation phase of your meds, your Dr should have explained it to you.

Basically you are put on a low doseage to begin with to check for contra-indications before they start upping the dose to treatment levels. My Dr told me that I couldn't expect to see much difference at this point in the treatment.

All in all I was told that it could take 4-6 months to get the right drug and level sorted out, and not to rush it by taking more than I was prescribed because I was impatient for results.

I told him that I'd waited for 41 years so a few months shouldn't be a problem (famous last words)

I'm starting mine in a few weeks after my ECG and blood tests etc so this is a good thread.
Old 04-30-13, 03:13 PM

justbananas is on a distinguished road

The main thing I notice is not so much that I'm great at focusing but .. instead of coming home or going to work and being like 'what is the minimum I can do in this moment' then like thinking random thoughts slash surfing the internet for hours instead of work and then feeling EXHAUSTED mentally and coming home to crash.. when I'm on adderall: I do a task, and it's tough to get started. but once I do ONE thing suddenly I'm like, what's next what's next and my mind like zooms in on things the way vampires zoom in on beating hearts in a crowded room. and I actually have to pry myself away and force myself to relax when the day is over. I am not sure it's the GREATEST but at least I'm doing something. ugh. fml.