ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-13, 11:13 PM

Raven Poe is on a distinguished road
Recently diagnosed ADHD but meds have not been helping :(

Hello to everyone. I just became a member today in hope I make friends who can understand what I'm going through, who can give me inspiration, as well as to seek advice. I was diagnosed ADHD 2 months ago, was put first on strattera but unfortunately it gave me many bad side effects and no good effects. My psych then put me on concerta starting with 18mg and on the 8th day told me to double my dose to 36mg. Today is the 11th day and I have not seen the slightest change in my problems, namely restlessness, inability to focus, and impulsivity. I am still the hyper person I have always been. Knowing that school is about to start in 8 days and I'm still struggling with ADHD makes me feel very insecure. The reason I sought out professional help was because I was tired of putting my best effort into school and ending up with bad grades-never mind having to read the same paragraphs multiple times. At this point I have made a deal with myself. If I end up being still unaffected from ADHD meds in a year from now I am cancelling grad school and will go into the military. For some reason I have this notion that my extreme physical energy will be well utilized in the service compared to college where it is very destructive (I can't even sit in class for 30 min without going crazy from my mental and physical restlessness, I just want to be on my feet doing things all the time as long as I don't have to stand still. I have been a C student all along yet at work that I have to do physical work my bosses love me cause I get everything done).
Old 12-30-13, 09:02 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,572 Times in 15,082 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recently diagnosed ADHD but meds have not been helping :(

it sounds like the methylphenidate class of drugs arent suited to you and you may want to consider and amphetamine,.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Raven Poe (12-30-13)
Old 12-30-13, 05:23 PM

Raven Poe is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Recently diagnosed ADHD but meds have not been helping :(

Thank you Sarah. The problem is I used to be addicted to illegal drugs as a teenager (9 years ago) but have been clean since 2004. My psych is aware of my addiction back then and she has stated to me that she is not very fond of the idea of putting me on stimulants like adderall as she fears I may abuse them, since once upon a time I did abuse drugs even though it was long ago, nevertheless she says since I did it once I may do it again. Not sure if this assumption of hers is completely correct as I have proved to myself above all that I can resist doing and abusing drugs-I have been clean 9 years after all.

Anyway if she sees that methylphenidate does not aid me and still refuses to put me on a stronger stimulant I'm thinking I'm better off finding a new psych. My regular physician prescribes me Xanax a year now after he tried every possible medication to treat my restless leg syndrome and the fact my palms and feet sweat tremendously due to my severe anxiety disorder, and after regular meds did not help he started me on Xanax. So according to my psych, since I have a history of addiction in the past how come a year now I have never abused my Xanax meds not once?

My psych also expressed her disapproval of my using Xanax as it has high addiction potential yet as I said above a year now I have never abused these meds. Since 2007 when I was diagnosed with a severe anxiety disorder I have tried all anti anxiety meds (Lorazepam, Klonopin, Prozac, etc) and nothing ever helped me with anxiety except Xanax, the only anti anxiety med able to help me combat stress, restless leg syndrome, sweaty palms and feet, these being my most potent or intolerable symptoms, not to mention that I have panic attacks about 2-3 Times a year (and when I say panic attacks I don't mean anxiety attacks, I mean being in a state where I hyperventilate strongly, my head gets dizzy and feels like pins and needles, and my heart races to the most extreme.

The first time I got a panic attack I thought I was having a heart attack as I had never experienced a panic attack and knew nothing about it.), and Xanax has been a savior. Lastly, when I had my ADHD testing the doctor concluded that along with ADHD my most severe problem is anxiety. So my current psych not approving of my use of Xanax as well as stating she is not fond of putting me on a strong stimulant to help me deal with ADHD so I may put my life back together, is she being fair? Do I have any right to believe she is not very open minded and that she likes to stereotype?

Last edited by kilted_scotsman; 12-30-13 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Para breaks
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-13, 06:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,037 Times in 2,500 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

sometimes college isn't the place to be.... you may well be on the right track when you say that utilising your high levels of energy may be of use.....

You could experiment with this..... try exercising a lot, working out however you can... varying the workrate and duration and monitoring your reactions to it. You may well find that you can find a regime that moderates some of your symptoms. It may well be that this regime is incompatible with the college life you now live....in which case you can look for alternatives..... and remember that the military often involves considerable lengths of time sitting around doing nothing..... and also has considerable potential for high anxiety situations.... not ideal...

You may well find you fare best on almost continuous physical activity.... in which case finding a career that allows that is a good way forward.... after all there aren't many people who actively seek out hard physical work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-30-13), psychopathetic (12-30-13), Raven Poe (12-30-13)
Old 12-30-13, 09:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,014 Times in 632 Posts
janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of

If continuous physical activity doesn't help and you feel the need to continue your formal education, you might talk with the pdoc about other meds.

For instance, Prozac and Intuniv help with OCD and impulsivity, addition to the Adderall for ADHD.

I think if I'm able to minimize most of the stress outside my control at some point I will not need meds to this extent. But until then...
Raven Poe (01-04-14)